I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just slightly off topic, my apologies :)

Maybe give us your definition of synergy.
I'd say it's the sums of the parts creating more than the whole.
Sometimes different combinations of components simply sound better together. Sure its not magic, but if it were easy, it would happen more often too.

It is just the aural focus of a great system. Everything seems to come into focus and the music is just more "real", palatable and engaging.

It is of course something electrical that allows everything to "meld" and come into a better state of acoustic focus, but it is not obvious to the average person why, and I have yet to see "studies" done when it seems to happen either :)
I can go along with that given certain circumstances
How do you know that? Based on what electrical evidence?
Here's a damn near perfect example of what works & what doesn't & why :D

HI-FI WORLD - OLDE WORLDE - YAMAHA NS1000M LOUDSPEAKER

Give it a little read & you'll soon realise thar tweeters that have no breakup modes until 27Khz make class B amplifiers sound like crud due to crossover distortion creating higher harmonics. Feed it a nice class A amplifier & nirvana is approached ;) Most people in the UK were using class B amps feeding soft dome tweeters, these nicely covered up the aforementioned harmonic distortions. When faced with the NS's there amplifiers tended to be shown up for exactly what they were flush.gif

Anyway, back to the cables :)

Still, back to the pertinant point, is it beyond the real of possibility that these differences in electronics are not as extreme as you and most audiophiles make out??

Depends on how you listen to music and what is important to you. I have done enough comparative testing to know what to listen for, once you've learned that, it get much easier to hear differences.

Yep. Obviously ours was done very poorly, you have diagnosed that from quite a way aways. Kudos.

I didn't say that.

Seriously, it is only the dumbing down that really gets to me. Society is at such a lowest common demominator level it really pisses me off.

But to take pride in it?? That is when I lose it, and point to things like creationism simply to ram a point home. I never said I was one of the good guys, I lose it too easily I'm afraid.

R e l a x Terry, I was pulling your finger with the "wife in the kitchen" part. :)

I smiled at her, she just larfed. You DID see my picture in my build thread no?? then you'd understand haha.

No, a link perhaps.

No, was after the dbt symbol, not the cable believers symbol.

oohh, feel my sense of humour coming back.:p

Glad you see the humour in your remark or else it would have been a contradiction. :D :D :D

Well I would take issue with this point and I think maybe this is all fredex is trying to say. Expectation and the subconscious just isn't that easy to pin down. Let's take entertainment or a movie as an example.

If someone was to say to you "YOU GOTTA GO SEE AVATAR IT'S ONE OF THE GREATEST ACHIEVEMENTS OF MAN! IT SHOULD BE THE 8TH MAN MADE WONDER OF THE WORLD" and you go to see the movie and it's well just a good movie how do you think your expectations would affected you?

Now if you went into see that same movie with the expectation that "digital sucks and I doubt this will be any different" but the movie actually turns out to be good. How would your expectations affect you in this situation?

See in my experience these things act backwards of how people intuitively think they work.

Some times expectations are met by what you see or hear,some times not.Best thing to try when watching/listening to something is to have no expectations at all.Just curiosity for the sake of experience.He who can do this will make the less mistakes.Not difficult if you try.

Hello Fredex. I realise you weren't questioning my integrity. As I also stated at this point I'm not questioning anyone's integrity here either.
Hi tubeguy. Pleased on both points.
As far as "expectation bias" goes these are not my beliefs. I'm only parroting an arguement I've had used against me numerous times by the opponents of "wires sound different"
Understood.
As my thought process continues and I ponder further why a person would purposefully leave out such an important bit of info, I start believing that although I'm communicating with people who are "claiming" to what to know what the objective, scientific, truth is on the issue of sonic differences in wires! In reality I'm dealing with people who have an agenda.
People may just leave out info to win an argument, but they may honestly believe it is irrelevant. I think that someone who wants to find, or expose the truth has an agenda, and they could be on either side. If someone doesn't have strong beliefs either way, they may still enjoy debating or joining in what rdf earlier called a social game, and to stimulate a good debate would be their agenda. I think it is just the way the world is.
...People who, because they think their belief system is supported by science want their belief system to be correct at all costs ---{even though it hasn't been scientifically been proven to be so}--- rather than knowing what the actual, objective, scientific, truth is.
I don't know about 'at all costs', but sure I want my beliefs to be correct.

What you seem to be saying is that the opponents of cable sound have "jumped the gun" as all the evidence is not in yet. How much evidence would the opponents of cable sound need to realise (know) that their beliefs were wrong? In fact very little, all they would need is the proof that at least one person can hear cable differences on sound alone. Pretty simple as far as I can see but I am no seer. :)
cheers

Some times expectations are met by what you see or hear,some times not.Best thing to try when watching/listening to something is to have no expectations at all.Just curiosity for the sake of experience.He who can do this will make the less mistakes.Not difficult if you try.

Well that's how I prefer to go into a movie or listening to an album. Avatar is a good example for me since my friend went into the theater thinking he was going to hate it. He ended up loving it and then hyping it up way too much when telling me to see it. So by the time he was done hyping it up me simply not agreeing that is the best movie ever made is somehow me being overly critical lol. Anyway I hate spoilers and previews of any kind. Telling me the tiniest thing can give away an entire movie and make it too predictable in my experience.

Well that's how I prefer to go into a movie or listening to an album. Avatar is a good example for me since my friend went into the theater thinking he was going to hate it. He ended up loving it and then hyping it up way too much when telling me to see it. So by the time he was done hyping it up me simply not agreeing that is the best movie ever made is somehow me being overly critical lol. Anyway I hate spoilers and previews of any kind. Telling me the tiniest thing can give away an entire movie and make it too predictable in my experience.
I am the same, usually the movies that blow me away are the ones that I had no knowledge of before viewing. So I also hate 'spoilers', I have been disapointed too many times. I have also hyped up movies to friends who after seeing it say, "that was the worst movie I have ever seen". I must learnt to keep my big mouth shut! :)

So I also hate 'spoilers'......

Yes,it reminds me of a joke with a girl who used to work in the cinema showing people their sits and taking some tips.A guy came and the girl showed him where to sit,but although she was waiting for her tip,the guy pretended he did not understand why she was standing by his side.She waited for a few minutes and then bowed and whispered in his ear:"The killer is the doctor".....

I used to think that cables should not make any difference. This is based on a hypothetical standpoint that wires are simple conductors. However, looking closely on cable geometries and materials, electrical parameters such as inductance, capacitance etc are created which affects audio signal and quality.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I used to think that cables should not make any difference. This is based on a hypothetical standpoint that wires are simple conductors. However, looking closely on cable geometries and materials, electrical parameters such as inductance, capacitance etc are created which affects audio signal and quality.

Correct, and this is not disputed. What is questioned is whether this is audible with any reasonably engineered cable.

jd

Correct, and this is not disputed. What is questioned is whether this is audible with any reasonably engineered cable.

jd

Hello Janneman.

Well before we could ever begin discussing whether or not sonic differences are audible between one wire and another, we'd have to know precisely what your standard is for a "properly" or "reasonably" engineered wire of each type i.e., IC, speaker wire & power cord is and how you came to determine these are the standards to be used for each specific wire type!

Without this knowledge beforehand it would be to easy for you and others to start dismissing any and all tests wherein sonic differences were proven to exist by simply claiming one of the wires used wasn't a "properly" or "reasonably" engineered wire! Therefore I'd like to ask you to tell me specifically what a "properly" or "reasonably" engineered wire is for:

• an interconnect
  • speaker wires
  • a power cord

What constitutes the standard for ICs? Is it the cheap ICs that comes with audio components? What about speaker wires & power cords? Is zipcord the standard for speaker wires & power cords?

I'm not claiming these are your standard but, "if" it's true and these are indeed your standard of what a "properly" or "reasonably" engineered wire is, how did you determine they were so?

If these aren't your standards for ICs, speaker wires and power cords, what are your standards? Please explain how you came to determine what the standard for each type of wire would be and give us a specific example for each.

For Example: You might decide that these $25/pr Premium audio cable, with 24kt dual gold plated RCA connectors, triple shielded, with foamed PE insulation & low capacitance, as seen here; Analog Stereo Audio Cables, Premium design, dual gold plated RCA connectors, triple shielded, Foamed PE Insulation and low capacitance. are a "properly" or "reasonably" engineered wire.

Having provided the link would have given us a specific example, so I'd then ask how you came to believe this was a standard of what a "properly" or "reasonably" engineered IC was. I look forward to your response.

Thetubeguy1954

~Rational Subjectivism. It's An Acquired Taste!~

am I the only one picking up vibes that look like leading to a pull out???

c'mon TG, we're nearly there!

I'll let others answer, but I do want to point out one simple thing.

Rather than your fear that *we* will start claiming poorly engineered wire...(and BTW, if it were poorly engineered we would know by measurements and simulations..ie any audible difference is completely understood by normal EE engineering, nothing to do with cable bullfrickinshite from the manufacturers)......it really is the reverse you know.

It is the oh so confident cable believer that has never been able to tell them apart blind, and it is THEY that start on any and every excuse they can possibly imagine.

Gee, dunno....maybe for example Jon Risch's little excuse package??

Or heck, cut straight to the chase, and just admit we cannot tell them apart blind, and blame 'DBT' as we have seen John Curl proudly do recently. Just admit 'we need to see them to hear them, but really it is 'dbt' that is at fault'.

Why do you think many of us have urged you repeatedly to get very acquainted with the methodology?? So that YOU cannot come back later with the lame 'it was the testing methodology that caused my keen abilities to be blunted on the day'.

Please, just get in and start testing with your friends etc etc, and (for now) stop trying to propose that we will start making excuses.

that is not our traditional job, it is the other camps job.

just think of it as a union work issue and it will become clear!

I didn't get to reading all of Jon Risch's DBT criticisms. But I did read the first one and to me it seems to be a very good reason that you should do the DBT. If in fact the old tests are tainted or the wires just weren't very good than it should make a modern test that much more needed and that much more easy to pass. You yourself were not a one that believed in Cable differences until you heard the right cable TG don't forget that.

I read Jon Risch's DBT criticisms that Tubeguy kindly posted and it all sounded pretty reasonable. Though I don't quite know what do do with his two modes of listening ie relaxed emotional versus critical. Anyway I believe that Tubeguy is a man of his word and he will do the tests, and may very well surprise us all.

What constitutes the standard for ICs? Is it the cheap ICs that comes with audio components? What about speaker wires & power cords? Is zipcord the standard for speaker wires & power cords?

One could easily come up with minimum resistance, capacitance and inductance numbers that meet "reasonably engineered" specs (much to the dismay of esoteric cable companies and those who believe they can hear when a cable is reversed).

Status
Not open for further replies.