I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
janneman said:
Agreed, I am well aware of these effects. Simlarly, in group tests where you tell one group that they have been selected because of their intelligence, they perform better than when they are not told this. Such is the power of suggestion. Ask any football coach.

The way I see it, it only reinforces the need for tests that are controlled as best as possible. An ABX test isn't perfect, but runs rings around a casual, uncontrolled 'test'.

jd

fdegrove said:
Hi,
You're doing it again, Jan.
Do you actually realise how condescending that comes across?

The power of suggestion in this case is: I'm superior, you are just gullible sheep. Amen.

What you suggest is so transparent it's an insult to human intelligence.

Cheers, ;)

Frank, I'm sorry, but I can't follow you. I've read my post several times, where am I condescending? Where do I suggest I am smarter than you or anyone else (I have no reason to think that).

I hope that it's not the word 'intelligence' as such that ticks you off? I could also have given the following example:
"Similarly, in group tests where you tell one group that they are in a lower-than-average-intelligence group, they will tend to perform worse than when they are not told this." Is this more politically acceptable? (And no, I'm not making this up).
Or do you feel that ANY reference to one's intelligence is taboo? No problem, I can also give illustrations about sportsmen where the power of suggestion is also very strong. Just let me know what you are comfortable with.

Edit: Frank, do you interprete the very first sentence as my suggestion that I'm not subject to it and therefore better? If so, let me tell you that I never meant this; it only says I'm aware of the effect, not more, not less. I find it curious that you could interprete it otherwise.

jd

BudP said:
. . . . . . .Totaling it all up, not counting the Planet 10 Fostex / Fonken speakers which are not mine, my system cost $684.00. Including my reference speakers, $1164. I will have a pair of OB with 12" Zenith Alnico, Peerless alnico mids and Bozak alnico aluminum cone tweeters shortly. Cost is $184 total. They and the baffles will be EnABL'd at a cost of 4 hours and $3. I have spent time with the expensive stuff. It all sounds very impressive, but I like to listen to just the music.
Bud

Apart from the EnABL ;) I can dig all of that, especially the last bit. Cheers.

SY said:

<snip>
"There's no physical reason that effects beyond LCR should be audible,
<snip>

I wonder when this focusing on ´LCR´occurs?
Normally the basic description should be a possible (or impossible :) ) difference after exchanging an interconnect or a speaker cable in an existing sound reproduction system.

Normally the bottom line since the beginning of this discussion in the 70´s was, that differences had to occur in the audio band to be audible and if these difference were below the known hearing thresholds than it was concluded that they must be inaudible.

That is a somewhat more general definition because it includes effects based on RFI/EMC and amplifier instabilities as well. While the latter could be grounded on ´LCR´ the RFI/EMC issues wouldn´t be covered by simple ´LCR´discussion.

fredex said:
Sure. Audiophiles aren't necessarily after accuracy, that is why they listen to Quad IIs. ;) They want to be 'transported' and accuracy won't do it for some. That is cool, whatever turns their crank, but what amuses me is the notion that less accurate systems are actually more accurate in the sense that they are capable of somehow unlocking "low level information / details" that are buried in the recording which really accurate systems seem to lose.

Well, then I'm not an audiophile, I like accuracy. :)

My problem is with some that claim accuracy by quoting freq response and THD measurements taken while driving a resistive load. These measurements will not tell you much about SQ or accuracy in a real system.

I've listened to a system that is widely known for it's excellent specifications but if that is what real instruments should sound like, I would rather not listen to music. I believe good sounding systems will also measure good but all systems that measure good will not necessarily sound good.

the RFI/EMC issues wouldn´t be covered by simple ´LCR´discussion.

No, they would generally fall under one of two categories:

1. Unusual environment (e.g., right next to a 50kW broadcast station antenna) or extremely long (30m or more) runs of cable.

2. Poor amplifier design.

#1 is a vanishingly small subset. It's certainly not a factor in the superhuman claims of the high end tale-spinners who can tell silver from copper or Teflon from polyethylene.

#2 is a reasonably small subset, but in any event, it is trivially easy to provide a competent amplifier. That's why I've made the qualification again and again that the driving amp not be pathological.

Completely personal anecdote: Since getting serious about audio, I've lived in at least 15 different locations. I have never, not once, ever experienced RFI/EMC through my speaker cables (though it must be admitted that I do not tolerate poor quality driving amps). Interconnect wire is a different issue because of signal level and impedances.

fredex said:
I've heard anecdotal reports that it really makes an audible difference. Provided your system is revealing enough.

I guess that is with cotton used as dielectric.

fredex said:
I think you haven't ever heard a high resolution system if you have no paper/foil in oil caps. Think "inter-transient silence".
And I thought you were a tweak. :)

On my system I have only one capacitor directly in the signal path and this is on the tweeters. Currently it is Hovland Musicaps, I'm open for other suggestions, provided it is sort of affordable.

SY said:

No, they would generally fall under one of two categories:

1. Unusual environment (e.g., right next to a 50kW broadcast station antenna) or extremely long (30m or more) runs of cable.

2. Poor amplifier design.

#1 is a vanishingly small subset. It's certainly not a factor in the superhuman claims of the high end tale-spinners who can tell silver from copper or Teflon from polyethylene.

#2 is a reasonably small subset, but in any event, it is trivially easy to provide a competent amplifier. That's why I've made the qualification again and again that the driving amp not be pathological.

Completely personal anecdote: Since getting serious about audio, I've lived in at least 15 different locations. I have never, not once, ever experienced RFI/EMC through my speaker cables (though it must be admitted that I do not tolerate poor quality driving amps). Interconnect wire is a different issue because of signal level and impedances.

That´s still a bit surprising; at the beginning the discussion was not about the point of "superhuman hearing capabilities" but more about known thresholds.
At least from now looking back the categorical character of the conclusion doesn´t seem to be justified.

It is hard to predict what an effect in specific gear a RFI/EMC problem will have. It could be just sort of demodulation, moving of dc offet or working points, alteration/modulation of balancing currents over unbalanced connections and so on.

I know it is easy to be sarcastic over a lot of arguments in audiophilic discussions, but one sometimes has to remember where this comes from.
Quite often the reason is a categorical statement from someone regarding the general impossibility of audibility of something due to physic related reasoning.

At further analysis it often happens that this reasoning is just based on pure psychoacoustics which by it´s nature doesn´t really provide reasons for categorical statements about impossibilities. :)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I love to hear the QUAD tube amps, never have. Especially like to hear them on the panels.

The 303 and the 405 were designed to drive the Electrostatic panels too. They did an "OK" job at it. But I've heard much,much better on the panels, both solid state and tube. The ESLs are just so glorious. But double stacked they are kinda tough to drive.

Oh, sorry - back to cables.

fredex said:
rokali, Too true !

So the entire history of electronic amplification since the Williamson has been one long masturbatory exercise? No one needs low impedance speakers, let's consign those the poor design exercises like SE tube amps. So how do you guys justify owning anything past a Crown DC150 or Sony home theatre rig on an audible performance basis? The gap between philosophy and practice is conspicuous.

rdf: As you well know, the Williamson had some stability issues and questionable overload recovery. Some progress has been made since then, but you've also noticed that most highly-rated modern tube amps are pretty much clones of old circuits. The real improvements have been power supplies, stability, and overload recovery.

That said, I seriously doubt that anyone could tell the difference between an old Marantz 510 and the latest whiz-bang Parasound/Krell/Ayre if the amps were not clipping and no peeking was allowed. Or, for that matter, any of those amps and the canonical Pioneer receiver, with the same non-clipping proviso.

Before the rocks start flying, anyone who hasn't done a level-matched blind comparison and will still opine is a pitiful gasbag who shouldn't be taken seriously.

edit: I'm speaking of power amps. Preamps are a whole 'nother issue.

BudP said:

I still have amazing amounts of fun blowing minds with what can only be magic.

Was at Rene' Jaeger's house on Saturday doing just that. With a pair of his magnepan 2.6R speakers, some 1" X 2" pieces of clear acrylic tape, with restickable adhesive on one side, and the narrow wooden side decorations. I am sure he is still shaking his head and muttering "lunatic".

Bud

Why don't you bring your kit to the BAF?

Andre Visser said:

If they could not choose the better system between that equipment, let alone cables, then that speakers must be useless, surely they can't be that hearing challenged.

The speakers are very inefficient and difficult to drive but apart from that, quite revealing. It is interesting to know something about the panel and whether they were happy with the sound (looks like a very live room they tried fixing in a hurry).

SY said:
Before the rocks start flying, anyone who hasn't done a level-matched blind comparison and will still opine is a pitiful gasbag who shouldn't be taken seriously.

Rocks have flown for 200 pages. The group here with no problem painting 'the superiors' as delusional marketing dupes has a tough slog justifying on a performance basis anything past a used Rotel.

I've used regular non-blind audio comparisons professionally for a generation, between sources I absolutely know are different, and far from supporting your stereotypes of hearing different brands of AM tower obstruction lighting bulbs and grades of network cable, find fast switching obscures and masks very large and real differences. From long personal experience I find the protocol insensitive and easily confusing to the point of being nearly useless and not a reveal-all silver bullet. If long personal and professional experience consigns me to gasbag status, where do I get my T-shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.