I did a search on battery power supplies, but...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only thing batteries are good for, in my opinion, is for cell phones, walkmans and the likes. They have no place in a crucial sound system. They are irregular and fluctuate. Especially junk NiCds should be avoided. Batteries are a last resort for all I care.

I think my post is the only one to actually question batteries in the whole thread. That was my main purpose of posting.

AC fluctuation you can curb with a good voltage regulator. Now, I'm not an expert on batteries. But if I'm correct, NiCds have higher noise level than a good power regulator. For me that means NiCds are damaged goods. A cap might help some, though.

Had a lived someplace where RF and power fluctuation and stuff had been a problem, maybe I had argued differently. But as it is, batteries aren't an alternative.

phn said:
The only thing batteries are good for, in my opinion, is for cell phones, walkmans and the likes.

I spent some leisure time on a submarine.
Ever did +25 knots in a 300 feet long submarine driven by batteries ?
Sub battery cells are big, but each submarine battery is just a huge 1.2 volts walkman battery !

I think there are a couple of French diy audio folks who started their hobby 30 years ago who would disagree with your statement too.

I do not question the qualities batteries do have. I question the fact that everybody here sings its praise. I only wanted to bring the cons, like noise, to the table. You are probably aware of this article over at TNT Audio. But if I understand the article Gajanan Phadte linked to, skimming it thru, then NiCds may be out.

I think there are a couple of French diy audio folks who started their hobby 30 years ago who would disagree with your statement too.

No argument here. On the other hand Stereophile has been trashing idler-wheel and direct-drive turntables for 30 years. Does that mean the Garrard 301 is trash? Also, I have read about some French battery stuff that's evidently as good as anything in its range out there.

phn said:
On the other hand Stereophile has been trashing idler-wheel and direct-drive turntables for 30 years.

That means anything, that's just a magazine.:clown:
Maby one day they will hear a well made direct-drive with a good arm and wet their pants.
But when they hear it, it will be already a museum piece.
Some take ages to understand... there's nothing as unreliable and uncertain as a rubber belt.:clown:

phn,

good example, point taken.
I lowthed tda amp ic's, yet i am trying the gc at the moment.
Different ways can lead to the same results.
Battery feeds have prooven ability, differences in performance may exist.
So i welcome any arguement that leads to more knowledge and improvement of battery power supplies on such a thread.

Frankly, i know didly about technical differences of different type batteries.
Teach me.

So i welcome any arguement that leads to more knowledge and improvement of battery power supplies on such a thread.

That's why I love this forum. I learn stuff almost daily. But that's why I also may be a pest at times. And I really tried to be the party blooper here. Not to offend anyone. Never. But somebody had to be. For example, Carlos and I disagree on much. But he also has my full respect. I learn a lot from him. As I said someplace else, I don't think the purpose with life is to be a nuthugger. But, and this sounds corny, we can disagree and still be friends. And I encourage everybody here to go ahead with batteries. But it needs more before I proclaim it the be all, end all in audio.

No. To me it has just been another reason for "normal" people to make fun of audiophiles. I will even use a power regulator for the battery-powered DDDAC I intend to use for my planed CD player/transport. I'm the first to confess to being prejudiced against batteries. I believe I called it a last resort. I.e. what you use when you have nothing else. But who knows? I bought my first CD player a year and a half ago. I still prefer vinyl, but am also a huge digital fan.

I really try not to rule anything out. I believe there are many ways to skin a cat. I don't believe tubes are inherently better than transistors. I believe in sound engineering. That also makes it very hard for me to swallow the claims about batteries. That doesn't mean I don't think you can do battery-powered audio gear that's as good as anything else out there. But I'm not sure I will attribute that to batteries. That to me comes close to hearing a great Shindo set-up and then attribute it to the cables.

But none of that has to do with why I posted here. It always worries me when everybody agrees. But the important thing is, I can be wrong and you guys have, which I do not doubt for a second, achieved good results with batteries. And I will continue being that voice that asks "why" whenever things sound too good to be true.

Sorry for the rant.

phn said:
I do not question the qualities batteries do have. I question the fact that everybody here sings its praise. I only wanted to bring the cons, like noise, to the table. You are probably aware of this article over at TNT Audio. But if I understand the article Gajanan Phadte linked to, skimming it thru, then NiCds may be out.

lead_battery_noise.jpg

Something is off with the final measurement in the linked article. The one comparing a lead acid battery with a regulated power supply. Somebody else pointed this out to me. Look at the 50Hz spike on all three measurements. It is AC hum (not from the US or it would be at 60Hz). On the measurement of the regulated supply the spike peaks at -100db while on the battery measurement it goes off the chart. This doesn't make sense to me. It should be at the same level for all three measurements. The gain/scaling must be inconsistent. The spike is noise coming from the measurement equipment and should be independent of the measured noise. My guess is that the battery actually performs significantly better than the regulator in this case, the data is just plotted wrong on the graph. But really I don't think it is a good idea to conclude anything from this data given that the voltage and capacity of the battery are unknown.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.