I built Jig II by Eric Wallin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ed:

It sounds like such a good idea to put it all in one box.
Makes things a lot easier not having to constantly swap connections!

How big should the amp be?
I use a L165V from ST. It's a power opamp just like the usual Gainclone suspects (LM1875, LM3886, TDA2050 etc). With the power rails I use, it can drive about 20W into 4 ohms or 12W into 8 ohms.

What wattage is adequate for testing?
I have a switch on the front panel to set the amps gain to x1 or x10. I set the power amp to a gain of one for impedance measurements and nearfield acoustic testing, so it's only driving 100mW or so. Far field acoustic (such as measuring at 1m) needs more power to get a resonable signal from the mic so I use the gain=10 setting for that. The amp is still only pushing 5 watts or so though.

kneadle said:

Okay, I'm confused about this. What's the question?
Dave (mercator) and I were were debugging his Jig a couple nights ago. There were two problems: the sound card output was too high, resulting in a highly distorted (not clipped) waveform (reducing amplitude cleared that up); and the software didn't behave as expected. We were getting much lower than expected amplitudess when recording datasets. Still not sure why. The max/min levels shown at the bottom after each recording looked good, but the graphed dataset was much, much lower and actually looked like just noise.
Hey, but the jig hardware worked fine....

Hello Ed,
I'm looking at the data sheet for the L165V ... select values for R1/R2. Is this where gain is set?
Yep, R1/R2 set the gain in the same way as any other op-amp. There is absolutely nothing special about the L165V - I only used one because it was available! Any of chips used in Gainclone amps will do just as well, perhaps better.

As for a schematic, I started doing a write up about the details of my jig and uploaded a half finished version with some design notes when someone requested a schematic. Just as well, because I lost the lot (schematics, PCB layouts) a couple of days later when my hard disk crashed! Because of this, I never got round to finishing the article. The first rough draft can still be found in this dark corner of the web:
http://www.apcl43.dsl.pipex.com/SW_jig.htm

25.2VCT, 2A trans for US$8
That transformer will work fine although the current will limit you to less than 8W into 4ohms.

Mongo only pawn in game of life
Blazing Saddles - what a movie!

Hey Paulb,
Sorry to take so long getting to this post, I only read this site when I'm at work :devilr:

I built the jig-II last week and invested some time trying to get the software working with the hardware. Turns out I have the exact same sound card as Eric uses (Sound Blaster Ensonic PCI) so I thought that would be a good way to test it.

Following his instructions I did the record test but the in.l and in.r graphs show only noise. The vu meter boxes indicate a reading, and I confirmed that the sound card inputs are working so I am confused as to how to proceed. Any hints from you speakerworkshop pros?

I did read the manual, and Claudios page.

/Dave

mercator said:
Hey Paulb,
Sorry to take so long getting to this post, I only read this site when I'm at work :devilr:

I built the jig-II last week and invested some time trying to get the software working with the hardware. Turns out I have the exact same sound card as Eric uses (Sound Blaster Ensonic PCI) so I thought that would be a good way to test it.

Following his instructions I did the record test but the in.l and in.r graphs show only noise. The vu meter boxes indicate a reading, and I confirmed that the sound card inputs are working so I am confused as to how to proceed. Any hints from you speakerworkshop pros?

I did read the manual, and Claudios page.

/Dave

Dave,

I'm still debugging, so I thought we might proceed together.

First, have you resized the graphs as recommended? When I did, I found that I couldn't see any waveforms at all---I had an excessive amount of latency (for other reasons). When I played around with the latency settings until I could see waveforms "up front," I found I was in better control of troubleshooting.

Good luck, and post back,

Dave

After three days of testing, I have to say I'm a little skeptical, but I don't know of what.

I'd like to say it's of my soldering skills, but the jig keeps giving me the same DMM readings day after day, test after test.

I keep following all the calibration directions, and I don't seem to get the same results twice.

Is there a certain level of arbitrariness in SW? What does that mean concerning predictability in speaker building?

Are there any more experienced SW users out there who would care to comment?

Thanks,
Dave

:confused:
I built a wallin jig and it gave me alot of headaches. If I remember right I had a problem with consistency like the person above mentioned. I also thought it was way over complicated in general.
Then I built a version of Claudio Negro’s cable jig. This device worked much better for me, and didn't need a bunch of silly switches.

My question is why would anyone mess with the wallin jig over the cable jig? Seriously is there some benefit there I'm missing?

Another question, will these diy jigs work with justMLS?

Hey Dave,
I'm still debugging, so I thought we might proceed together.
Sharing the pain sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

My current problem seems to be that when I try to record a signal using the loop setting (or just a loop cable) the in.r and in.l graphs do not seem to show any real data, although the in.l.fft graphs and the vu meters look correct.

Tonight I played around with the latency settings but got no different results. So, I proceeded with the calibration process and it appeared to work as expected.

I did a few tests of passive components (resistors & caps) and got good looking results. Tried an impedance test on a speaker and got a graph that I will need to learn how to read.:scratch:

I would like to get that record graph thing working but for now I am planning to proceed with building a mic and maybe an amp so I can start learning this speaker design thing.

And do I need a DUT if I have Jig II?
I think DUT = Device Under Test

/Dave

creek said:
:confused:

My question is why would anyone mess with the wallin jig over the cable jig? Seriously is there some benefit there I'm missing?

I built the wallin jig BECAUSE it was complicated, for practice reading circuits and soldering components in a tight configuration. without the possibility of messing with voltage.

I also think that the complication will translate into flexibility. Now that I've got it working, what can I not measure? I dunno...
:xeye:

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.