Hypothesis as to why some prefer vinyl: Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the Eighties it was common practice to CONVERT lp to cassette
There were some very good tape decks, indeed.
Somehow this belief had origin that the stylus damaged the vinyl and so on.
So you'd find libraries full of NEW lps and tapes ( mostly Cr/ Metal )having copies of them.
Everyone who had made that iteration knows that the sound of a ( well masterized by yourself ! ) tape is different from the original.
Anyhow, after some years also the tapes start to deteriorate !

The problem with that is the signal has to be made to work. The CD from LP is a job anyone can do to a good standard ( that begs a question I think ). Unlike real life when LP to digital one can have a few goes and spend nothing except your time. Many will not know many DDD CD's were ADD. A high grade analogue recorder with pro Dolby was run side by side with a Sony PCMF-1. The analogue was a safety copy with no obvious noise penalty. Dolby correctly calibrated is not so bad. Don't relate it to your cassette deck Dolby.

On returning to do the editing often the safety copy was far far better. The reason being the real world dynamic range was better handled or at least more as memory remebered it. What then happened over many days a fake DDD was made by comparing. The window of good transfer was about 5 dB +/-. Often this was taken to the company as the master. As the engineer said " They must be deaf as any good engineer will hear wow on analogue " how you hear it is a jelly like quality. When you know it, it is like sugar in tea. It isn't horrible, it is obvious even when near perfect in analogue terms.

lp is one thing ,analog master tape is other thing. there is some sort of harmonic distortion i keep hearing on lp ,just like there is some 16k signal from studio screen hV supply on some modern recordings,how is that possible?maybe people like stuff like that ,on other hand , pretty much everyone who likes to listen to lps is older than 40 years, so 16k(to hell,someone says over 13k after 40yrs old is gone) is non existent so we have nothing to talk about here its easy to conclude why some prefer lp.
audio recording should be like football(soccer) 35yrs old ,go to pension/training someone young.

If suppose goal is a system with less electronics between source and speaker can a RIAA pre-amplifier be designed like an active crossover where RIAA pre-amplifier output signal be supplied to two separate amplifiers which would drive two speakers ? Would there be any advantage ?
Regards.

The assertion is very simple and has nothing to do with the "experience" of playing a lp but everything to do with sound quality. Cd's are much better at noise and dynamics but not in definition, detail and clarity. The delicacy that a really good combination of cartridge, tonearm and phono amp can produce is far superior to cd's. The sound stage has depth and spacial positioning of sounds that are produced as a thin wall by cd's.

How can this be when CD has more dynamic range.....

I think what people overlook is LP is very imperfect. This gives choices. A pick up cartridge will look very poor on graphs. That is not an error of design. It is a choice.

Long before RIAA is used to restore " correct " frequency responce many little things are done in the lathe. Each lathe is how that designer saw the problem.

Maybe this is why CD is dissapointing. Record, make, sell. Can't help thinking someone somewhere didn't do their job.

That is sort of where I am going. Although I don't like to cross at 2122 Hz it could be made to work. My speakers need EQ so one could look at 50 and 500 Hz.

Kenwood had the tone controls in some power amplifier sections. I often wondered if some of the RIAA could be done there.
Thank you sir. Good to know that it is possible. Personally I believe we should not be afraid trying new things related to audio. There might be bad or good surprises if we try. Unfortunately I am not knowledeable about electronics. I would even dare say we can even entertain two conflicting thoughts regarding audio to expand our horizons. A thought just came to me if we want a quick listening how the above idea sounds we can use a mono record use left channel for woofer and right for tweeter driven by a stereo amplifier.
Regards.

Just to remind everyone. The cuts of vinyl I've heard are close to the cutting master. This is very surprising considering the complications of cutting. Perhaps this need a very special person who seeks a correct representaion of the master. Somone who will fight to do a good job. What people seem to forget is making a CD or LP has no accurate reference. As I said before the sound to my ears in Winchester Cathedral is hopeless. With careful microphone placement the cathedral can be rescued. Already somone has choosen to change reality and why not. For some mysterious reason CD mostly was a less well made product. That would be fine if only sold on it's durability. Perfect sound that lasts for every was and is a lie.

What is suggested here is one thing might be making people like LP. If it is anything it is the careful use of compression in both cutting and mastering. Ghostly ambiance is unlikely. Also do you really think your speakers can show that? As for headphones, the presentation is wrong to start with. Also the ear can not hear much below 200 Hz when headphones. It is heard in the body and is reconstructed by the brain from harmonics.

Hiten, Sir. Although I have no proof I suspect a really powerful mono bass unit that goes to about 100 Hz ( from 15 Hz ) and two open baffle speaker using a full range units could work. In my own example I use a tweeter at 6 kHz as I found it better than attempting true full range. As far as my ears tell me stereo bass stops at about 100 Hz. The reason is the room does what it likes with it at that frequency. One can always build a second bass box. I suspect it will be prefered, not because it's stereo. Just the power.

here is interesting post from other thread earlier today,dont know how to quote from other thread so picture :

Attachments

• llllllllll.jpg
    llllllllll.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 216
We have about a 20 db at best stereo separtion. Like seeing in the infra red it has no value to to think 110 dB something to get excited about.

I tried very hard to make a headphone speaker sound simulator. It was not a sucess. That seems a good question which I think is highly related to this. At last this thread is looking to what we can hear. My opera singer friend says 70 % of what we hear when ourselves is through the bone. She introduces people to their own voices slowly so they don't get a shock.

In brooding over the subject of vinyl vs cd, I found myself wondering about the need for a single stylus to address the full frequency range of sound and the general abandonment of this approach for a single loudspeaker driver to address full frequency range of sound. Mostly loudspeakers are multi-driver affairs so that each speaker can be restricted to the range over which it performs best. Indeed each speaker may have its own amplification as in the case of bi and tri-amplification.
So, unlikely as it may seem, does anyone know of a similar attempt to filter out sounds to two or more styli?
This seems very complicated to arrange but if there is a justification for speakers then perhaps so for styli and cartridge. In a bi-styli system it would seem to need two disk/stylus/cartridge systems, one for the lower frequencies and another for the rest perhaps feeding into a bi-amplification system? Of course the disks themselves would have to be restricted to the frequency range of the chosen stylus/cartridge, so two disks for bi-styli systems.
Obviously I was having a nightmare .... but if for speakers, why not stylus/cartidge?

A solution would be two arms/cartridges reading the same record so speed sync is no issue. Just a constant delay, which can be fixed in DSP.

Jan

Although speakers and cardridges are both transducers, speakers have to produce soundwaves. And as we all know the efficiency with wich they do that depends among others on the frequency and their size. Tweeters can produce very low frequencies, but not with high SPL.

Cardridges react only to the grooves, they don't need to be large to create low frequencies. Same goes for microphones.

Now that is really useful. Excellent stuff. Many thanks, George

Audible Effects of Mechanical Resonances in Turntables:

The paper makes it very clear that bulk of resonances are at frequencies below range of human hearing, yet produce audible effects.

The paper also makes it clear that low frequency signals occur at high S/N levels. This is well demonstrated in high resolution spectra from recordings of records.

Wallace throws out high level low frequency content signals of records and non-linearity of cantilever suspension as possible source of potential for some people's preference for records over other sources, and proposes instead that low level signals leads to preferences.

First Wallace needs to discount all the large signals as source of preference.

Wallace's hypothesis is crap.

Modulation of subsonic record/turntable signals with noise and sine signals produces revealing effects. I've applied 15Hz brickwall low pass filter to recordings and multiplied this with pink noise and sine signals. Modulation with pink noise leads to a track that sounds like a record that is both badly worn and tracking poorly. Modulated with sine waves a stereo effect is heard.

I think you should listen to these effects.

Here is link to files with noise and with 1kHz sine modulated onto recording provided by gpapag:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wjvj30ur7c67zip/AABeT9Gc5VETummROfwkV-Loa?dl=0

With the sine modulation, pure tone can be added to both channels and the stereo effect narrows. The effect remains audible when pure sine is added on top at -14dBFS. The sound characteristic is highly similar to 1kHz tone of original track, only more pronounced. A track with added 1kHz is included with above link.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,

Please don't tempt me... as I said, it was a nightmare. However, it could be set up ......

It dawned on me that there may be few issues with dual arms. First of all, the time that each is set down will be different each time you play a record so although the delay is constant, it is different at each play so you need to tune in at the start. Not handy.

Secondly, and I am not sure I get this right, but since each cart will be on a different diameter compared to the other, the delay changes monotonously during the play and will be smallest at the end of the record. Right?

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.