Hypothesis as to why some prefer vinyl: Douglas Self

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Very Interesting Frank, thank you as adds another data point

Having slept on the problem I just wanted to clarify that,
1. To devinylise Flat reponse on L and R is the target and if some compromises on L-R flatness are required that is an acceptable tradeoff
2. L-R attenuation only needs to be about 20dB.

But I realised I am missing two data points
A. What is the level of L-R compared to the rest of the signal.
B. Where would this go in the signal chain and would it require heroic overload margins

Sure, so long as we can also put together its alter ego the 'Vinyliser' !!
The Vinyliser starts here!

The basic structure I plan is:

1) White noise source

2) Pinkening or reddening filter as required to accentuate VLF noise.

3) Resonance peaking filter around 7 Hz to simulate arm/cartridge resonance.

4) Level control and inverter to give two anti-phase signals.

I think that should be a reasonable first attempt.

I'm sure it is as billshurv posts, the action is way above this band, in the lf audioband. The range he suggests is a good ball park IMO.

The B&K document suggests otherwise. Look at Fig 4 and Fig 10, peaking very much 5 - 10 Hz. Fig 10b also shows motor rumble at 25 Hz, but are we convinced that it is out of phase? Seems likely it could be partly in and partly out, and anti-phase cancellation will be of doubtful use.

What is not planned for The Vinyliser? The addition of:

Distortion (many ways to do this- mostly 2nd and 3rd required, I assume)

Clicks (a series of pulse generators timed to record rotation speed)

Groove noise (adding more wideband noise is very simple)

Interchannel cross talk (pretty much the opposite of The Devinyliser)

Wow and flutter (this would require a variable digital delay)

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Pages 12 and 15. Figure 35 on page 15 I need to look at more as on first inspection it gives a different picture from the rest of the document when you take arm resonances into account. Or I am misreading, which is more likely!

Edit: my bad Fig 35 is acoustic feedback resonances, which although may be pertinent to the overall 'experience' can at least be dealt with.

Last edited:
B&K Page 12 suggests that an arm resonance of 13 - 18 Hz could provide mechanical filtering of subsonics, but this seems more like a recommendation for the future than a description of the present.

Fig 35 is the resonant modes of a speaker->turntable setup, and while 27.5 Hz is mentioned, that is surely too high for arm resonance. Perhaps the first overtone?

It looks to me as if 5 - 13 Hz is a good range to target.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Assisted by listening tests one can conclude that the fundamental problem creating parameter is the frequency response of the turntable below 20Hz. Most modern turntables leave much to be desired, typically they have resonance peaks of 5-10dB at 5-7Hz. The first thing to do is to raise the frequency to 15-18Hz and the ideally damp the system to a Q of 0.5 letting response roll off at preferably 12dB/octave

From the conclusion. Now that flies in the face of almost everything that others have said that I have read, but they do show how to do it. Of course if we are going for the classic vinyl experience then we need to use the frequencies the majority have chosen and you are right.

Oddly been trying to find time today to start a thread on just that to prevent too much OT breaking out here. So far have failed :(
Yes, that seems a good idea, I'd contribute to that thread. I hold the firm opinion that most conventional wisdom that survived as lore is plain wrong, well not optimal or even self-consistent. But it would be OT here and the thread would disappear into the weeds: a separate thread would be interesting.

I think the on-topic aspect is how much of the c 7Hz headshell wobble finds its way into out-of-phase L-R modulation of either amplitude or frequency in programme material. I'm still thinking about that ! The headshell wobbles in 2 dimensions, following a sort of lissajous figure shape with a major period c 7Hz or whatever it may be. Pretty much all 2D vectors get covered then, including pure vertical and pure lateral and all paths in between. At the moment I don't think there is AM modulation of programme. There is certainly FM, and also baseband noise at 7Hz. Dunno, still thinking !

Otherwise, I think the pseudo-ambience is more likely to be due to rumble/roar random noise in the 30-200Hz range, rather than c 7Hz headshell wobble.

Hi Pete,
Thanks for adding to this thread.
I'll bite: Where does one look for pristine DA conversion on eBay for $100?
Cheers,
B B
The Emu 16m series chips and analog design are essentially what is inside the Creative Soundblaster Elite Pro. Ebay. Extremely nice conversion in something that says "soundblaster" Funny but true. There are more examples including some older pro usb cards.

I hate commenting on things I actually know something about however I feel compelled to mentiin Fyi, we have been using a vst plugin called "The Grundgelizer" in hip hop production for at least a decade settings include broadband noise, two types of distortion, wow, flutter, tics, pops, record speed and bandwidth restriction. However no phasing or antiphase are included.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Pretty sure it was a decca as my physics teacher at school had one. Googling...
ery
Google has failed me. I remember seeing it. Had a button to push the cartridge onto the record. Very wacky, whereas the dynavector just looks evil :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.