Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you all for the pointers.

seeing that when R141 is removed it should yield about, - half the maximum power of the NC400 and the SMPS600, so for 16 ohms 25W Rms rated drivers, i should get around a true 25W to 50W Rms delivered to the drivers. and the sound signature of the 1st Watt shouldn't suffer any less, sounds promising.
thanks guys
regards
reo

"The end of January passed, are there any modules shipped?"

Mine shipped on Monday and I expect them to arrive tomorrow or Thursday latest. I got a shipment confirmation and tracking number from Hypex.

Unlike the rest of the DIY williewankers who have received the nCores but not posted reviews, I will definitely be posting my observations on their sound quality.

I suppose, but does it matter for a tweeter?

It's also somewhat self-correcting in that the impedance curve is smoothed by the resistors.
I've always had the underlying belief that you should let a precision control device give of its absolute best into the device you're trying to control - ie connect it directly

However if it gives some form of eq benefit, say, then I can see a potential benefit of an additional external component.

Otherwise it just feels like another unnecessary source of power/temperature/frequency/phase variation when trying to create sound energy

I've always had the underlying belief that you should let a precision control device give of its absolute best into the device you're trying to control - ie connect it directly

However if it gives some form of eq benefit, say, then I can see a potential benefit of an additional external component.

Otherwise it just feels like another unnecessary source of power/temperature/frequency/phase variation when trying to create sound energy

I will give you an amen on that....totally agree. When I run my speakers active I wire direct from amp posts to drivers including my compression drivers. Never had an issue.

"The end of January passed, are there any modules shipped?"

Mine shipped on Monday and I expect them to arrive tomorrow or Thursday latest. I got a shipment confirmation and tracking number from Hypex.

Unlike the rest of the DIY williewankers who have received the nCores but not posted reviews, I will definitely be posting my observations on their sound quality.

I ordered mine before the batch was sold out. I did not get a shipment confirmation ;-(

change gain

If the gain of the module is changed by replacing or removing Rg, is there any effect to the input impedance? I think the input is buffered to the Differential buffer stage, or is it not?

I want to use the ncore modules in a biamped system. The filter will be placed before the ncore amp and is affected by the input impedance. Level matching could be easily achieved by changing Rg.

Off topic: I already designed a board for balanced signal processing with relays for input switching, relays based volume control and active filter for bi-amping isolated by discrete buffers.

We compared digital volume control to volume control with am black alps pot directly built in the input of the power amp. The test were made with 24 bit / 48 kHz music. We compared 20 dB attenuation digital to 20 dB attenuation with the alps pot.

For our great surprise the digital attenuation won the hearing test constantly.

A short, but very positive article from Six Moons on the nCore. 6moons industry features: Hypex Ncore®

I found this surprising:

"As he says, he built up the circuit with discrete components only. There are merely transistors without a single integrated circuit - just for fun and to beat the best IC. In Bruno’s view ICs introduce distortion and that was not acceptable."

Care to comment on this, Bruno? Seems a bit doctrinaire, which doesn't sound like you.

I found this surprising:

"As he says, he built up the circuit with discrete components only. There are merely transistors without a single integrated circuit - just for fun and to beat the best IC. In Bruno’s view ICs introduce distortion and that was not acceptable."

Care to comment on this, Bruno? Seems a bit doctrinaire, which doesn't sound like you.
I've never known a journalist to report what actually happened/was said - take it as interpretation by the authors

After all, based on their previous encounters with class D, a class D amplifier requires "loosening one of the screws on the bottom to let the amplifier breathe" !

I've never known a journalist to report what actually happened/was said - take it as interpretation by the authors

After all, based on their previous encounters with class D, a class D amplifier requires "loosening one of the screws on the bottom to let the amplifier breathe" !

That raised an eyebrow to say the least. I suppose they had an exact copy of that amp with tight screws so they could do ABX testing...

This sounds a bit pretentious and dismissive of others work in the field :(
Agreed, but I can't actually believe it was said (or inferred) by Bruno.

Certainly in the UK, the underlying approach of 'reporters' is to mis-state the available information and to then waste everyone's time by asking them to 'deny' what they should never have been asked in the first place

I believe the interpreted content of the article should be considered to primarily reflect the opinions and interpretations of the authors rather than the opinions of the subjects of the article - let's not waste Bruno's and Jan-Peter's time by getting them to refute stuff they never said in the first place

Anyway...
let's have some more builds and listening opinions.

I was hoping I'd be ordering about now for delivery ex stock, but now I'm really going to have to wait (rather than buying something when I didn't have the time to do anything with it, which would have been the case during December and January)

Status
Not open for further replies.