Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone clarify a basic question:

say a DAC's balanced output produces +4dBu at full digital scale. This is 1.23v

Is the differential input voltage at say Ncore input 2.46v or 1.23v

As i understand Ncore will produce peak power at 2V input level. Again is this +2,-2v on the differential input (4V) or +1,-1v (2V) ???

say a DAC's balanced output produces +4dBu at full digital scale. This is 1.23v

+4 dBu is 1.23 VRMS (root mean square). The peak-to-peak value of a 1.23 VRMS sine wave is 3.44 V, or +1.722/-1.722 if you reference it to some arbitrary middle point, but that is the wrong way to think about it.

As i understand Ncore will produce peak power at 2V input level. Again is this +2,-2v on the differential input (4V) or +1,-1v (2V) ???
A fully differential input doesn't know anything about "ground" or "earth", so when you say "+1,-1", the logical question is "referred to what". The right way to think about a differential amplifier is that it amplifies the difference between the non-inverting and the inverting input - in the case of the Ncore, a 2 V voltage between those inputs will cause full output.

The choise is between NC-400 without U-pad attenuator or NC500 with attenuator (but better specs?) What would you guys choose? :)

I wouldn't lose any sleep over either the small differences in specs or an attenuator. The main question is really "do you want to buy a ready-made amp or do you want to do some lightweight DIY?". If you want to do DIY, then NC400 is the only choice.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over either the small differences in specs or an attenuator. The main question is really "do you want to buy a ready-made amp or do you want to do some lightweight DIY?". If you want to do DIY, then NC400 is the only choice.

I did arise to the same conclusion and has ordered the NC400 kit as it gives me more control of the gain.

+4 dBu is 1.23 VRMS (root mean square). The peak-to-peak value of a 1.23 VRMS sine wave is 3.44 V, or +1.722/-1.722 if you reference it to some arbitrary middle point, but that is the wrong way to think about it.

A fully differential input doesn't know anything about "ground" or "earth", so when you say "+1,-1", the logical question is "referred to what". The right way to think about a differential amplifier is that it amplifies the difference between the non-inverting and the inverting input - in the case of the Ncore, a 2 V voltage between those inputs will cause full output.

missed saying thanks. That totally makes sense, disuse has made me forget a lot of things. Thanks

Can't seem to find R141. Where's it placed on the board?

Attachments

• hypex-ncore-nc400-vahvistin_5054.jpg
    hypex-ncore-nc400-vahvistin_5054.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 323
Ok. I found it. Wow, it's a tiny!

Welcome to the world of SMD devices :)

1. How do you remove it?
2. Does it take soldering to replace it by a new one?
There are pretty good guides to SMD desoldering on the net. This one is not too bad.

3. Where and what do I buy to get the desired gain?
Gain is 4.5 x (1 + 2*Rf/Rg). Rf is 2.2K, Rg (R141) is normally 1.2K, giving a gain of 21 (26 dB). To get 20 dB, you need to drop the gain to 10, so Rg needs to be 3.6K. You can buy SMD resistors from an electronics component supplier such as Farnell or RS Components.

Status
Not open for further replies.