Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:sarge: Well it would concern me if everyone got what they wanted when I take action. Pieter, please remember it's not permitted to discuss Moderation, but please note these things, which weren't exactly what you requested:

-This is now a NON-commercial thread.
-Any module from Hypex can be discussed here, plus PSU's and front ends of any kind, even though only the commercial modules require them. Who know's, people might acquire a NC500 from a company going out of business, or they have a brother in law in the business, or it's in the swap meet or someday might be sold to the public if Hypex changes their policy. We've recently seen a new policy in fact: a kit that you can literally bolt together in an hour.

What can't be discussed is a specific product which the member is selling. Parts of that project which advance the knowledge of a subject can be discussed if the product itself isn't mentioned or gratuitous photos of the front panel, etc. shown.

Feel free to mention posts that could be moved, preferably by PM or reporting a single post and then listing all posts you are discussing, but splitting and merging threads is tricky so some will remain at my discretion even though they might seem to not fit the current situation. After all the rules have suddenly been changed...

Finally there is just too much Off Topic stuff here, I'm going to delete some of that and also posts requesting changes to t he thread rules. They've been done!

And Everyone: welcome back to the "Real DIY" part of the forum!

Last edited:
Perhaps we no longer have a place to discuss NC500 now unless it is in yet another thread?

If this thread is DIY and the NC500 OEM then maybe general information regarding the NC500 or NC500 implementations can't be discussed here.

If it isn't relating to Nord's implementation it can't be mentioned in that thread without being off-topic (despite the more general heading of that thread it was created by Boggit to discuss his products).

Let the scattering of information intensify.

At any rate, Hypex fans may be interested to know that ATI, the owner of Theta Digital who produce the NC1200-based amplifiers Prometheus, mono, and Dreadnaught D, multichannel, are planning to introduce an amp configurable from 2 to 8 channels using the NC500 modules. Universal voltage sensing and about 2.5 months away from launch.

(Mod - move this if you see fit)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:sarge: SGK: Remember this post? If not why not take a look at it, It's only 5 posts above...

Specifically this part :
".....Any module from Hypex can be discussed here, plus PSU's and front ends of any kind, even though only the commercial modules require them. Who knows?, people might acquire an NC500 from a company going out of business, or they have a brother in law in the business, or it's in the swap meet, or someday it might be sold to the public if Hypex changes their policy. We've recently seen a new policy in fact: a kit that you can literally bolt together in an hour. So,who knows what awaits?

What can't be discussed is a specific product which the member is selling. Parts of that project which advance the knowledge of a subject can be discussed if the product itself isn't mentioned or gratuitous photos of the front panel, etc. shown. ...."

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Remember this post? Specifically

-This is now a NON-commercial thread.
-Any module from Hypex can be discussed here, plus PSU's and front ends of any kind, even though only the commercial modules require them. Who know's, people might acquire a HC500 from a company going out of business, or they have a brother in law in the business, or it's in the swap meet OR someday might be sold to the public if Hypex changes their policy. We've recently seen a new policy in fact: a kit that you can literally bolt together in an hour.

What can't be discussed is a specific product which the member is selling. Parts of that project which advance the knowledge of a subject can be discussed if the product itself isn't mentioned or gratuitous photos of the front panel, etc. shown.

Feel free to mention posts that could be moved, preferably by PM or reporting a single post and then listing all posts you are discussing, but splitting and merging threads is tricky so some will remain at my discretion even though they might seem to not fit the current situation. After all the rules have suddenly been changed...

Finally there is just too much Off Topic stuff here, I'm going to delete some of that and also posts requesting changes to t he thread rules. They've been done!

And Everyone: welcome back to the "Real DIY" part of the forum![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Audio engineers listen after musicality

Nope. Audio engineers listen after transparency too.

They create "musicallity" with the artists via use of coloured equipment which their transparent recording process will then transparently transcribe.

Imagine all that hard work getting the right sound only for the monitoring gear to colour the sound so they make all the wrong choices at the mixing or mastering stage!

Audio engineers want transparency too in their monitoring.

Only problem is, when people lack technical knowledge or don't want to engage in a technical sense, they will instead judge by ear. Let's face it, it's a damned sight easier and doesn't need any thinking or equipment or knowledge! And in a sense that MAY be good enough for the situation, certainly is for the home user I feel..

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:sarge: its's not complicated. Yes the performers and recording engineers color the sound and then try to get transparent version of that recorded sound , unless of course they don't and change it to sound good on a crappy portable system, with compression, etc. which isn't transparent. And then you play any recording in your home and no matter what it doesn't sound like real instruments so who's to say that it's not fine to use colored equipment to "decode" it in your home to make it sound more"real" until such time as music in your home really does sound like a live performance or a studio performance as the musicians want it to sound. So this seems rather off topic for this thread which is supposedly about actually using Hypex Class D modules. In fact you could use them in ways to support any viewpoint, and it's still interesting no? Let's hear about it and no more off topic tit for tat. Or we just wait with no posts until there is some news about the topic of the thread....

Last edited:
Nope. Audio engineers listen after transparency too.

They create "musicallity" with the artists via use of coloured equipment which their transparent recording process will then transparently transcribe.

Imagine all that hard work getting the right sound only for the monitoring gear to colour the sound so they make all the wrong choices at the mixing or mastering stage!

Audio engineers want transparency too in their monitoring.

Only problem is, when people lack technical knowledge or don't want to engage in a technical sense, they will instead judge by ear. Let's face it, it's a damned sight easier and doesn't need any thinking or equipment or knowledge! And in a sense that MAY be good enough for the situation, certainly is for the home user I feel..

Its kind of like those who believe we can make the sound of a good tube amplifier just by adding distortion: both lack of technically and sound knowledge.

Musicallity has nothing to do with being colored, it's being able to reveal colors, but mostly timing and dynamics

I have had both Devialet and nc400, no ABX testing needed for me there.
I don't think your disrespect, and judgement of peoples lack of technical knowledge is appropriate, it's what people hear (or measures) that matters, or whatever makes their day.
If you don't have a reference of real instruments you have nothing to compare against.
You still cannot measure how a amp sounds

I know quite a few really great audio equipment engineers, both high end and high volume sales, and they listen intensively in the design process, and also for sound "character" of all passive components, SMD included, to know and find the combinations, to get transparency. No components are perfect and uncoloured, and its not possible to engineer around that.
Still the perfect amp is not here

Its kind of like those who believe we can make the sound of a good tube amplifier just by adding distortion: both lack of technically and sound knowledge.

Musicallity has nothing to do with being colored, it's being able to reveal colors, but mostly timing and dynamics

I have had both Devialet and nc400, no ABX testing needed for me there.
I don't think your disrespect, and judgement of peoples lack of technical knowledge is appropriate, it's what people hear (or measures) that matters, or whatever makes their day.
If you don't have a reference of real instruments you have nothing to compare against.
You still cannot measure how a amp sounds

I know quite a few really great audio equipment engineers, both high end and high volume sales, and they listen intensively in the design process, and also for sound "character" of all passive components, SMD included, to know and find the combinations, to get transparency. No components are perfect and uncoloured, and its not possible to engineer around that.
Still the perfect amp is not here

Did you read the last message before your posting?

:sarge: its's not complicated. Yes the performers and recording engineers color the sound and then try to get transparent version of that recorded sound , unless of course they don't and change it to sound good on a crappy portable system, with compression, etc. which isn't transparent. And then you play any recording in your home and no matter what it doesn't sound like real instruments so who's to say that it's not fine to use colored equipment to "decode" it in your home to make it sound more"real" until such time as music in your home really does sound like a live performance or a studio performance as the musicians want it to sound. So this seems rather off topic for this thread which is supposedly about actually using Hypex Class D modules. In fact you could use them in ways to support any viewpoint, and it's still interesting no? Let's hear about it and no more off topic tit for tat. Or we just wait with no posts until there is some news about the topic of the thread....

So how about something relevant to the topic?

For those who of you are interested; I did some comparison between NC400 and Anaview AMS1000 some weeks ago. I have heard several say AMS1000 is better than NC400, so I was curious.

After AB testing both on a pair of Abbey speakers plus a pair of prototype I'm working on, I have to disagree with those comments. The AMS1000 is a great amp and among the best. However, it lacks some of the clarity and openness of NC400. That was very evident. Some may prefer the more forgiving result but from objective standpoint the NC400 is a better and a more transparent amp.

The smaller AMS0100 seems to measure better and may be as audible transparent as NC400 on high sensitive drivers/speakers but I haven't tried it yet.

Attachments

• NAD M22.jpg
    NAD M22.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 290
Variac. Clear as mud. Your repetition doesn't cover alerting those interested in Hpex based products as to the emergence of commercial products which contain them.

A NON-commercial thread
Any module from Hypex can be discussed here

But what about mentioning news regarding commercial implementations of Hypex technology such as I did? I take it from the fact that you haven't deleted the post it is ok but it is not clear from your earlier posts.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
:sarge:

"What can't be discussed is a specific product which the member is selling. Parts of that project which advance the knowledge of a subject can be discussed if the product itself isn't mentioned or gratuitous photos of the front panel, etc. shown. "

The world isn't black and white, right? So we have to use common sense.

The quote from my previous message clearly shows that if you are SELLING a product, ie you are affiliated with a company making or promoting a product. you have to hold back and not abuse our patience. Maybe if there is a particular feature that is special to your product you can bring it up once and not have a bunch of photos of your product attached. Perhaps a photo of just that feature in a circuit. then be prepared for lots of opinions about your idea! ;)

If you are not affiliated with a product, you can bring up a commercial product as an example like you did, or an idea of a cool idea we can use for our DIY projects, Esp. a circuitry idea, On the forums commercial products come up in discussion all the time. Especially components that people use to create DIY projects. Yes this is a very inclusive component, not a transformer or capacitor, which makes it harder to be black and white about, but I think can you make this determination, and if it seems excessive but an error made in good faith, then you'll get friendly feedback from the other members or the moderators.

-------------------

If you believe in amps that measure ok, but maybe not great, but have distortion assigned to particular spectra you prefer, thats fine, design or make one that does this, with a Hypex module. In fact it's been suggested, with possibly controls to select different options. The Hypex would be great for this as the baseline would be very clean and then there could be options, as with a guitar amp or a digital guitar effects box, but more subtle.

If you prefer a very clean sound, then use the Hypex in a way to be sure you have the clean sound you want. No need to discuss what is "Best" Again, it isn't black and white so just get over it..

Variac. Clear as mud. Your repetition doesn't cover alerting those interested in Hpex based products as to the emergence of commercial products which contain them.

A NON-commercial thread
Any module from Hypex can be discussed here

But what about mentioning news regarding commercial implementations of Hypex technology such as I did? I take it from the fact that you haven't deleted the post it is ok but it is not clear from your earlier posts.

Last edited:
For those who of you are interested; I did some comparison between NC400 and Anaview AMS1000 some weeks ago. I have heard several say AMS1000 is better than NC400, so I was curious.

After AB testing both on a pair of Abbey speakers plus a pair of prototype I'm working on, I have to disagree with those comments. The AMS1000 is a great amp and among the best. However, it lacks some of the clarity and openness of NC400. That was very evident. Some may prefer the more forgiving result but from objective standpoint the NC400 is a better and a more transparent amp.

The smaller AMS0100 seems to measure better and may be as audible transparent as NC400 on high sensitive drivers/speakers but I haven't tried it yet.
Intersting!
Did you use a buffer on the anaview?
As is it looks like they are quite sensitive to the source output characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.