Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the price difference is a bit puzzling.
Not really, Hypex have allowed DIY community to build an amp for vastly less than you could obtain commercially. The fact its relatively more expensive than there OEM product is irrelevant. They should be commended and embraced for being so brave. Ultimately its about reality. Could you imagine Arcam providing bits for a DIY guy to give it a go? I understand its a bit irksome.

Not really, Hypex have allowed DIY community to build an amp for vastly less than you could obtain commercially. The fact its relatively more expensive than there OEM product is irrelevant...

I think it was clever to make the NC400 available like that - I can see the business advantage doing it that way too - but in a way that should be OK with everybody. I think the price is fair.

Nice boards! Nice colour!

My NC400 are on the way and should have them running next weekend if delivery is as expected. My boxes are going to be smaller than anybody else's from what I can see from photos posted. The box is 170mm wide, 220mm deep and 53mm high - it will just fit nicely and will post photo.

Not really, Hypex have allowed DIY community to build an amp for vastly less than you could obtain commercially. The fact its relatively more expensive than there OEM product is irrelevant. They should be commended and embraced for being so brave.

Indeed, it was a really cool move on the NC400, am very happy with mine. Now... let's bring on the DIY DAC!! ...which will never happen :(

It is. Its a much cheaper design compared to the SMPS1200. If they were using brand name caps like United Chemicon, Rubycon, etc instead of junk like Samwha I'd be more inclined to think the retail price is more acceptable. But it is what it is, the company exists to make money, using huge markups. It's like bashing Apple for doing the same thing with their ridiculous markups.

That said I prefer the SMPS1200 with its superior heatsink design...
What's wrong with Samwha capacitors, other than being a brand you don't recognize?

Last edited:
Source/preamp with XLR or RCA?

From the Hypex website:
You can get almost all of the quality improvement afforded by balanced connections even with an unbalanced source, provided that you have a balanced input.

With my upcoming project, the interconnects will run close to (and parallel with) the mains cable to the amp. Would it be worth the (considerable) extra cost of a pre with balanced out? Or could Bruno's floating input for RCA do the job? I want to use shielded star quad cables.

NC 500's spreading like wildfire! We have another manufacturer selling amps with a very similar buffer board to boggit, but without the HxR regulators:

? Hypex ncore nc 500 mono's..unieke kans..Nu e. 1.956,- - Versterkers en Receivers - Marktplaats.nl

We have Ghent audio selling cased pre-drilled for the NC-500's

ghentaudio --- Hypex & NCore NC400 NC500 NC1200 UcD700 Case-kit

I wonder who the source of the modules are?

Not sure why Ghent is showing the NC500's paired with the incompatible SMPS600's?

Last edited:
With my upcoming project, the interconnects will run close to (and parallel with) the mains cable to the amp. Would it be worth the (considerable) extra cost of a pre with balanced out? Or could Bruno's floating input for RCA do the job? I want to use shielded star quad cables.

As Hypex state, most of the benefit of a balanced connection come from the differential input, not the balanced output. Paralleling mains cables is never to be recommended, but with differential input and shielded pairs (in a star quad) you should be fine. I have gotten away with pretty long runs next to mains cables.

As Hypex state, most of the benefit of a balanced connection come from the differential input, not the balanced output. Paralleling mains cables is never to be recommended, but with differential input and shielded pairs (in a star quad) you should be fine. I have gotten away with pretty long runs next to mains cables.
Thanks, Julf. I guess I could then use the same type of cable (RCA - XLR) for my subwoofer too.

NC 500's spreading like wildfire! We have another manufacturer selling amps with a very similar buffer board to boggit, but without the HxR regulators:

? Hypex ncore nc 500 mono's..unieke kans..Nu e. 1.956,- - Versterkers en Receivers - Marktplaats.nl

We have Ghent audio selling cased pre-drilled for the NC-500's

ghentaudio --- Hypex & NCore NC400 NC500 NC1200 UcD700 Case-kit

I wonder who the source of the modules are?

Not sure why Ghent is showing the NC500's paired with the incompatible SMPS600's?[/
QUOTE]
Looks a bit like a one off sale on a market site. I don't recognise who made it though.
Perhaps Julf can help as I assume he speaks Dutch.

Last edited:
Looks a bit like a one off sale on a market site. I don't recognise who made it though.
Perhaps Julf can help as I assume he speaks Dutch.

Not much information there. He/she is from Zoetermeer (near The Hague), and is emphasizing the fact that the "famous" nc500 is not available to consumers. Also states the nc1200 is the same unit, apart from being better at driving 2 ohm loads.

Includes two smps1200A700 supplies, two nc500's, two input selector switching units, two softstart modules and an enclosure.

The "xavAmp" circuit board would possibly imply this guy.

He/she is also stating a "less good" similar nc500 amp from the US costs Eur 2,695 (including 5% customs duty, 21% VAT and postage).

Not much information there. He/she is from Zoetermeer (near The Hague), and is emphasizing the fact that the "famous" nc500 is not available to consumers. Also states the nc1200 is the same unit, apart from being better at driving 2 ohm loads.

Includes two smps1200A700 supplies, two nc500's, two input selector switching units, two softstart modules and an enclosure.

The "xavAmp" circuit board would possibly imply this guy.

He/she is also stating a "less good" similar nc500 amp from the US costs Eur 2,695 (including 5% customs duty, 21% VAT and postage).
Thanks Julf

From the Hypex website:
You can get almost all of the quality improvement afforded by balanced connections even with an unbalanced source, provided that you have a balanced input.

Just to make you believe i am a crazy person (not really) i just bought 4,6ke Jorma Origo RCA cable as interconnect between my MSB Analog Dac and Bel Canto REF600M monos :). After extensive testing for 3 weeks i found a really good combination of ic and sc. All the other ics were xlr cables. However, MSB analog dac is single-ended by design. It didn't work as good with my DIY nc400, as it does with BC's vision of nCore.

No blind testing involved.

If somebody wants blind testing, please, come here to my house and arrange it (don't break my wbt's) so it will be acceptable to you and hopefully acceptable to me too. My job is just to perform in the test...and in the meantime we can listen to music and socialize. I'll order pizza.

Last edited:
Just to make you believe i am a crazy person (not really) i just bought 4,6ke Jorma Origo RCA cable as interconnect between my MSB Analog Dac and Bel Canto REF600M monos :). After extensive testing for 3 weeks i found a really good combination of ic and sc. All the other ics were xlr cables. However, MSB analog dac is single-ended by design. It didn't work as good with my DIY nc400, as it does with BC's vision of nCore.

No blind testing involved.

If somebody wants blind testing, please, come here to my house and arrange it (don't break my wbt's) so it will be acceptable to you and hopefully acceptable to me too. My job is just to perform in the test...and in the meantime we can listen to music and socialize. I'll order pizza.

I'm very curious of how that amp would compare to Boggit's amp with the Sparko based buffers.

Did you pop the hood yet and check things out?

JHowever, MSB analog dac is single-ended by design. It didn't work as good with my DIY nc400, as it does with BC's vision of nCore.

Have Bel Canto used a different buffer/pre stage?

Right now it is far too cold up in Finland :)

Are you in the Helsinki area? I do come up there for business (and meeting family) every now and then, but not sure about dragging a switch unit with me (and people will probably say that the switch unit affects the test and conceals any differences anyway).

Have Bel Canto used a different buffer/pre stage?

I suppose it has custom built input stage.

http://absolutehiend.com/index.php/bel-canto-ref600m-mono-amplifiers.html

"...We combine NCORE® amplifier technology with our unique input filtration, custom loading design, and compact chassis to deliver serious power levels that will drive and control speakers with ease...."

"...Bel Canto’s custom Impedance Optimized Input Stage uses low noise and low distortion amplifiers, precision film resistors, and audio grade power supply capacitors. DC Coupling with short audio signal paths..."

I tried Analog Dac-NC400 combination with RCA->XLR cable and that resulted in far too much hiss. The amps were built according to the datasheet. I did not find anything wrong with the amps (which does not mean there still wasn't some fault) and they were completely silent with balanced sources and working perfectly. With Analog DAC connected via XLR there was also couple of volume levels with some humm noise, but otherwise it was ok. Both problems have been unpresent with REF600M.

Are you in the Helsinki area?

I am located about 200 km North from Helsinki, in city called Tampere.

Last edited:
I suppose it has custom built input stage.

Seems like it, and the "low distortion amplifiers" would probably be opamps.

I tried Analog Dac-NC400 combination with RCA->XLR cable and that resulted in far too much hiss. The amps were built according to the datasheet. I did not find anything wrong with the amps (which does not mean there still wasn't some fault) and they were completely silent with balanced sources and working perfectly. With Analog DAC connected via XLR there was also couple of volume levels with some humm noise, but otherwise it was ok. Both problems have been unpresent with REF600M.
Sounds like ground loop / earthing issues.

I am located about 200 km North from Helsinki, in city called Tampere.
Unfortunately I don't get to visit Tampere very often any more. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.