Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning, I now have a Burson V5 based input buffer board prototype PCB being made which I shall evaluate to see if there is a sonic improvement. It will have the same mechanical layout as the Hypex ones, so will be an easy upgrade. Will keep you posted as to the progress. The standard amps, as you have all guessed uses the Hypex buffer board identical to the Acoustic Imagery Atsah 500. Colin

I'd suggest just mounting a DIP 8 socket on the board so people can choose whatever opamp suits their taste best. This way everyone can tailor the sound signature to their own personal tastes.

The NC500 can be the best amp for everyone this way. :)

As I wrote, *I* would not call it an opamp as it, while being a differential, DC-coupled amp, doesn't satisfy the "high gain" criteria (op-amps typically have an open-loop gain of more than 100,000, approximating the ideal "infinite open loop gain" model), but if Hypex chooses to call it one, I guess we should go for their terminology.

What makes you believe it doesn't satisfy the "high gain" criteria? AFAIK it is the usual high gain amp with an ordinary feedback network (same as with the LM4562 op-amp buffer).

What makes you believe it doesn't satisfy the "high gain" criteria? AFAIK it is the usual high gain amp with an ordinary feedback network (same as with the LM4562 op-amp buffer).

Simply looking at the circuit. To achieve a high enough gain that it can, for practical purposes, be regarded as "infinite gain" (one of the criteria for an opamp) you need 3 or 4 times the gain of a typical transistor - so you need to chain 3 or 4 amplification stages (in addition to the 2-transistor differential input stage) and a buffer stage.

hypex ncore

Hi bavmike I can see that this is soldered to the PCB but what component is needed to fit the dip to

Here's all the parts you need minus the opamps.

DIP8 8 Pin Gold Plated Socket for OpAmp X10pcs | eBay

Gold Plated Adapter PCB Converter Board SOP8 SO8 SOIC8 TSSOP8 MSOP8 to DIP8 248 | eBay

FTS-104-01-L-DV-TR - SAMTEC - Board-To-Board Connector, FTS Series, Surface Mount, Header, 8, 1.27 mm, Gold Plated Contacts | Newark element14

SFMC-104-02-S-D-K-TR - SAMTEC - Board-To-Board Connector, SFMC Series, Surface Mount, Receptacle, 8, 1.27 mm, Gold Plated Contacts | Newark element14

be0a5c23f18f9cb0e3ba1f48e094a504.jpg

Last edited:

I have the Sonic Imagery ones. I didn't recommend them because they made the traces too short on the pcb so there's only like a micron of contact area soldering the socket to the adapter PCB. As a result it keeps breaking. So better off making your own. Cheaper too.

The brown dogs won't work because there's stuff in the way both directions.

hypex ncore

Hi Bavmike I am assuming that this is the op amp that you use and rate highly.
I was reading their info and there was some talk about fitting a capacitor did you do that or leave it out.
Burson also talk of fitting a capacitor but say it is optional.

I just got those Sparko's yesterday and sound excellent. They run in class A up to 16mA. The NC500's only draw 10-12mA max. So class A operation beyond the max of the NC500's. The footprint is also very small so they fit nicely.

They sound better than the Burson V3's. I'm just letting them burn in as per Julf's recommendation. He's definitely right, burn in helps with discrete opamps.

Adding caps isn't an option if just modding the Hypex board. Those seeking the very best performance will fab a custom board from scratch.

Perhaps Boggit's custom fabbed board will be built right.

Last edited:
I certainly hope so, his other boards look superb, though not audio related. Input buffer board sent to him today, Burson sending me free samples of the dual V5 Op Amp, they seem very decent people indeed. Prototype boards will take 7 days once designed, and incorporate hypex regulators, and socket for Op Amp rolling, I have also added a connecter to drive a 24V LED, shorter lead times become prohibitively expensive. Can not wait! Tonight I have nearly a finished milled front panel. The rest of the sleeves arrived today, just waiting on some 12mm sleeves and 1mm Mylex sheet to go under the switch as its about 10mm from the base, so tomorrow can complete a final customer ready prototype to show Hypex. Its been immensely hard work virtually collapsed Friday to many 3.0 AM nights! Looking forward to seeing a finished item with the blue glow along the silver line of the front panel. Cheers for all the input and words of encouragement.

You are definitely doing the right thing people can now swap op amps and get the exact sound they want. Cheaper than buying a new amplifier.Obviously it will be more expensive if fitted with the Bursons or Sparkos (hope not too much) but you are now turning your new market offering into a too notch product. I will be buying one for sure.
Just hope that lead times don't get too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.