Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Someone asked about cooling. What I mean by free-air cooling is that the impatient listener can just jerry rig the system together without mounting it at all, provided that you use the external VDR. Having said that, mounting it in a box is more cat-friendly and automatically provides ample cooling.

That was me. My initial setup will probably look like yours.... But having three cats, I should probably box them in.....

Is there any advantage in using a metal case compared to a wood or plastic case, other than for cooling? I'm thinking EMI shielding...

unfortunately the mail is very very slow close to holidays. I remember once waiting for more that 30 days for a package from UK, which should normally arrive in 5-10 days, even faster sometimes. I made the mistake of ordering 4 weeks before Easter.
if I were one of the UCD owners I would just connect it to the old amp's (hehe) power supply 30 minutes from the moment the mail man arrived :)

Apologies for not having made it through all 87 pages. I have just stuck to the last 20 or so, but I imagine other newcomers to the thread will have similar questions.

My questions:

1) If I understand it correctly, this is a largely plug-and-play setup? Connect the ncores to the hyped power supply wire them to RCAs, Speaker binding posts, and AC power and you are done?

2) Can someone give me an idea of what sonic improvements two of the power supply modules might give? Or phrased differently, in what situations dual power supplies might be preferred?

3) These have been described as 400W amps. Is this into 8 or 4 ohms?

Apologies if this is asking for info already buried in the thread, but I imagine I am not alone coming here thanks to their release yesterday.

In the meantime, these questions that I posted earlier weren't ever answered...

I'll try answering based on available data.

1) not sure what you mean by plug and play. Bruno said all connectors and cabling are supplied with the modules. the input connector seems to have 5 pins and UCD has 4 so I guess it's not 100% PnP. datasheet is not yet available.

2) if I were to take a wild guess, whomever is willing to pay 700+ EUR for the two modules is likely not to worry too much about one extra PS. after all one can go with a linear PS which can be made for less than the sell price of the SMPS. even Bruno wrote that PSRR is not all there is to it and one channel is likely to influence the other one way or the other if using a single PS. many high end manufacturers opt for the single supply but I guess it's one of the subjects of endless debate.

3) 400W is into 4 ohms with short-term output of to 600W in 2 ohms.

anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I feel I should know this one but...

How much voltage swing can you get from a Ncore? What are the specs needed for the psu if you want the big voltages?
How low a load impedance is ok to use with these amps?

The questions are relevant to me since I'm considering using ESL's.

I feel I should know this one but...

How much voltage swing can you get from a Ncore? What are the specs needed for the psu if you want the big voltages?
How low a load impedance is ok to use with these amps?

The questions are relevant to me since I'm considering using ESL's.

Isn't it all in the specs?
Max power supply voltage for the NC400 is +/- 72 v; that is some 48 VRMS of maximum output voltage with a higher impedance load.
Isn't 2 ohms indicated as minimum load?
ESL's have their minimum impedance at HF; that is a completely different situation from a low impedance at LF; I should not be worried for the NC400 not being able to drive an ESL.

Pieter...

Typically, class D amps have not been the best choice for driving electrostatic loudspeakers (as opposed to something like planar magnetics, which rock with class D). But nCore is new, and appears to solve many of the reactive output impedance issues of some class D amps. I think it would be best to seek an answer from Bruno and/or Hypex directly to determine how well an nCore would work with a given ESL. I think a complete impedance curve for the speaker would be good to have them take a look at.

Typically, class D amps have not been the best choice for driving electrostatic loudspeakers (as opposed to something like planar magnetics, which rock with class D). But nCore is new, and appears to solve many of the reactive output impedance issues of some class D amps. I think it would be best to seek an answer from Bruno and/or Hypex directly to determine how well an nCore would work with a given ESL. I think a complete impedance curve for the speaker would be good to have them take a look at.

As for as I know (but correct me if I am wrong) class d amplifiers in general seem to drive ESL's pretty well. I understand that class d amps are good in driving low impedances where a lot of current must be delivered into the load (of course also dependent on power supply capability), but that does not disqualify them at the same time in their ability to drive a more capacitive load.

Status
Not open for further replies.