Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
hypex ncore

Indeed. :)

I see the PCM1792A goes for $12.95...

Yes. By the people who sell us a $12,000 box that basically contains a hypex module and a PSU. Or even a $4000...

The cost of the parts doesn't matter anyways. What matters is if you can get something better for your needs at the price level.

I will say with confidence, you won't find a better amp than the Acoustic Imagery Atsah 500 for anywhere near the price on the commercial market. It's a game changer at $1000 per monoblock.

So if the OEM BOM costs on a $5000 monoblock , that isn't close to the performance of the Atsah 500's is much higher, does that make it a better value?

Last edited:
Let's say a 50 kilo dinosaur linear supply that has an OEM cost of $1500 is used in a $12000 amp. Would the amp be worse value if that supply was swapped out with a $300 SMPS that had better performance all around?

Possibly yes - for all the people who buy into the "linear good, digital bad" audiophile folklore and superstition.

For the rest of us I guess we wish they had gone for the SMPS in the first place, and lowered the price by $10000 (the price difference between $1500 and $300, multiplied with a "high end" profit multiplier)...

Just goes to show that everyone is out to make the maximum profit. They don't care about you; if they did they would change the game and bring everyone delightful Audio equipment at REALISTIC prices.

There is no excuse, it's just Human greed at play

Most Designer Jeans cost less than £5 to make, but they work poor people in sweatshops 18 hours a day for pennies and an early death, to spin money - reminds me of THE WOLF OF WALLSTREET

Let's say a 50 kilo dinosaur linear supply that has an OEM cost of $1500 is used in a $12000 amp. Would the amp be worse value if that supply was swapped out with a $300 SMPS that had better performance all around?

A new business case is required - it is a new product if they change the power supply.

You would expect a smart manufacturer who was customer-centric and operated morally to account for the cost of the R+D to build a new business case that demonstrated a healthy return to their customers while ensuring they made a healthy margin on top.

Simple business logic. I wouldn't expect them to reduce the cost by $1,200 dollars (the difference between the power supplies). However I would expect them to reduce it by something, whilst ensuring they made a return on their R+D. It's called innovation and bringing those benefits to their customer base is what establishes customer loyalty.

An organisation like Acoustic Imagery, has no R+D cost and little overheads. They make a nice box and put OEM products into them and then request buyers to pay a margin of well over a 1000%. Only in their latest product have they pulled together an input buffer, which the development of was most likely outsourced.

Your approach to building a business and understanding of business methodology is unbelievably naive and linear, I wish you luck in your future ventures.

A new business case is required - it is a new product if they change the power supply.

You would expect a smart manufacturer who was customer-centric and operated morally to account for the cost of the R+D to build a new business case that demonstrated a healthy return to their customers while ensuring they made a healthy margin on top.

Simple business logic. I wouldn't expect them to reduce the cost by $1,200 dollars (the difference between the power supplies). However I would expect them to reduce it by something, whilst ensuring they made a return on their R+D. It's called innovation and bringing those benefits to their customer base is what establishes customer loyalty.

An organisation like Acoustic Imagery, has no R+D cost and little overheads. They make a nice box and put OEM products into them and then request buyers to pay a margin of well over a 1000%. Only in their latest product have they pulled together an input buffer, which the development of was most likely outsourced.

Your approach to building a business and understanding of business methodology is unbelievably naive and linear, I wish you luck in your future ventures.

The point I'm making is you can pay much much more for parts and end up with an inferior end product. But I guess if it costs you more to manufacturer that inferior product, it's better value.

hypex ncore

A lot of truth in that statement. At least the majority of people on here recognise that.

The beauty of the free market economy system is the end consumer can make their own decision on which product offers them the best value for their money.

This may be a 200 kilo pair class A monoblocks, for $100000 or a pair of Class D Ncore based monoblock amps for $2000. Or anywhere in between.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

This is a great description for the nc1200 ...hiked up the prices so they are more desirable.

Those components probably cost around 100-200 Euros to press out (less R&D which should have well paid itself off by now)

"In economics, Veblen goods are types of material commodities for which the demand is proportional to its high price, which is an apparent contradiction of the law of demand; Veblen goods also are commodities that function as positional goods. Veblen goods are types of luxury goods, such as expensive wines, jewelry, fashion-designer handbags, and luxury cars, which are in demand because of the high prices asked for them. The high price makes the goods desirable as symbols of the buyer's high social-status, by way of conspicuous consumption and conspicuous leisure; conversely, a decrease of the prices of Veblen goods would decrease demand for the products.[1] In an economy, the consumption of Veblen goods is a function of the Veblen effect (goods desired for being over-priced) that is named after the American economist Thorstein Veblen, who first identified conspicuous consumption as a mode of status-seeking in The Theory of the Leisure Class (1899) in the late 19th century"

I appreciate Julf's Autosignature right now ...unfortunately the High End Audio Industry is a Fool's Goldmine ...I wish there were more benovelent people doing things just for the love of them about...

I wouldn't consider Hypex products to be in the category of over priced. They offer a wide selection of DIY options from as low as a few hundred $, up to OEM flagship modules that are used in some of the best value for the money amps in the industry.

And for those who feel differently, they can build their own amps from scratch, or choose a different manufacturers product. Between the Hypex amp modules, and all the Hypex knockoffs out there, Hypex class D technology has enabled amp manufacturers around the globe to offer much better value for the money amps than were previously available before they came around.

Status
Not open for further replies.