Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm not mistaken then won't bridging make sense if you have an 8-ohm speaker or higher and need more power, and paralleling if you have lower impedance and need more power?

Though you still only get +3 dB in the best case, which when everything comes around is nothing so if you need that much more power then one of the high power UcDs might be a better idea. Though I don't really believe you need more power as 400 is a lot, so do measure it first.

If you're not sure of how then just ask =)

If I'm not mistaken then won't bridging make sense if you have an 8-ohm speaker or higher and need more power, and paralleling if you have lower impedance and need more power?

The problem is that he has magneplanar 1.7' s, and as noted they are close to 2 ohm at 10kHz-20kHz and below 2 ohm at 20kHz.

Though you still only get +3 dB in the best case, which when everything comes around is nothing so if you need that much more power then one of the high power UcDs might be a better idea. Though I don't really believe you need more power as 400 is a lot, so do measure it first.

I think this is what we all keep saying...

So wouldn't that imply that bridging is a bad idea?

Yes. It definitely won't go louder, so if that's the purpose it's a bad idea.

Maybe, it's not for ultimate SPL...
Some have reported that they prefer the sound of bridged ncores, but I'm not sure that it's cause should be looked for in 'objective terms'.

@thisisvv, I'm not quite sure I get your question. Are you asking why you'll need one smps per ncore for bridging? If that is the questions, it applies to smps600, not smps1200.

cheers,

i am just asking i have 6 smps600 with 6 nc400.. can i use 2 smps with 2 nc400 for each channel to get 800w on 4 ohm ...and how do i connect these two together with my current setup in the box as shown in pic earlier...i connect what part to what part to get 800w in 4 ohm....

V

Last edited:
i am just asking i have 6 smps600 with 6 nc400.. can i use 2 smps with 2 nc400 for each channel to get 800w on 4 ohm ...and how do i connect these two together with my current setup in the box as shown in pic earlier...i connect what part to what part to get 800w in 4 ohm....

V

Ah, I see :)

You will only need two out of the three smps/ncore sets in each box.
Leave the smps/ncore connections intact.

What you need to change is:

Connect the two ncores you will bridge with the same signal.

Invert the +/- signal inputs on one of the ncore modules.

Connect the speaker cable to the "hot" outputs of the two ncores.

If I remember correctly, Bruno also recommends that you connect the two hot outputs with a 150nF cap. (It should also "work" without but wont by sync'ed)

Then the two ncores should amplify the same signal inversely giving you twice the voltage gain across the ncores' hot outputs.

I hope this helps.

cheers,

Ah, I see :)

You will only need two out of the three smps/ncore sets in each box.
Leave the smps/ncore connections intact.

What you need to change is:

Connect the two ncores you will bridge with the same signal.

Invert the +/- signal inputs on one of the ncore modules.

Connect the speaker cable to the "hot" outputs of the two ncores.

If I remember correctly, Bruno also recommends that you connect the two hot outputs with a 150nF cap. (It should also "work" without but wont by sync'ed)

Then the two ncores should amplify the same signal inversely giving you twice the voltage gain across the ncores' hot outputs.

I hope this helps.

cheers,

thank you for the help..

i think the following pic is you are referring...

http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=64115

V

I would just like to be on record stating "don't do it". Too many things that could go wrong, resulting in damage to your amps, speakers or power supplies.

Just want to add that I also think there won't be any benefit.

As noted, the magneplanar 1.7's have a rather low impedance at higher frequencies. This is probably the reason for the "more the power more they sing...." comment - but it is actually wrong. What is needed is not more power, but more current (to drive that low impedance). It's just that lower-powered amps won't have sufficient current drive capacity.

Unfortunately bridging doesn't increase current capability at all.

....As noted, the magneplanar 1.7's have a rather low impedance at higher frequencies. This is probably the reason for the "more the power more they sing...." comment - but it is actually wrong. What is needed is not more power, but more current (to drive that low impedance). It's just that lower-powered amps won't have sufficient current drive capacity....

Isn't that very issue what made the Krell amps famous? ;)

Seems like th best bet is i try with NC400 and if i want more power i go towards smsps1200

thank you guys will wait and see how are the result with one NC400

V

+1,

....though smps1200 won't give you more output peak current from the nc400 than a smps600 per ncore will. As you already have one smps600 per nc400 it might alter the sound somewhat but not avoid the 24A 'bottleneck' of the nc400 modules. 24A is quite a lot and might already be more than what the planars can handle.

cheers,

Connecting a REL sub

I am close to pressing the button on a new nc400 build, but for someone like me not skilled in electronics, there are a few issues I am unsure of.

My major concern is how to drive my REL sub via its high level input. Normally you would connect L & R +ve inputs on the REL to power amp L & R red terminals, and REL -ve input (there is only one) to the power amp L or R -black speaker terminal.

However the diffilculty that arises is that the REL -ve input is grounded inside the REL.

The workaround usually is to connect the REL -ve input to power amp chassis instead. But I am not sure what this means in terms of my ncore build. Do I connect XLR pin 1 to the chasis? Or should I connect the REL to ncore -ve speaker out as normal, and put a blocking cap in place? Can anyone advise?

Last edited:
Hi,

you can just connect the REL in the usual way. Red and Yellow to the +OUT of both the NCores and Black to -OUT of one of both NCores.
This worked fine for me.

William

Thanks - Please may I ask what REL do you have? The later ones have been updated by REL to solve this problem. Mine is an old R505.

Incidentally, I asked Hypex about this and they said the same as you = it's OK to connect the REL black wire to NC400 speaker -ve output. But here's the strange thing, they said "The (NC400) negative speaker terminal is also at ground potential".

????? I thought NC400 was fully balanced, with +ve and -ve swinging in opposition to one another and not in any way tied to ground. Am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.