Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Get-lit. No offence, but I don't agree with your logic. If we accept for the sake of argument that some commercial NC1200 implementations sound better than some NC400 implementations. And if we then accept Bruno's speculation that this is due to differences in power supplies. If we then accept that the difference lies in the amount of EMI generated by the power supply and/or superior isolation between the supply and the audio circuit. Then the difference lies within the supply itself, not the power cord. So the power cord cannot produce the same effect. The logical conclusion is to either buy a commercial NC1200 or build NC400 with linear supply or build NC400 with EMI measures between the supply module and the signal circuit.
Not looking for an argument, just trying to steer you down what I think would be a more fruitful direction.
For the record, I think expensive cables are pure snake oil. I probably sunk a couple of thousand pounds into cables over the years. One day I just thought things through logically and realised I had been brain-washed. I tend to use pro stuff nowadays.
If you are looking to suppress noise on the AC line, there are many IEC inlets available with built-in noise filters.

This sounds too much like an anecdote :)
I thought the same when someone I know, when asked what made him upgrade from X to Y (where Y is considerably more expensive that X, somewhere in the 15k ballpark) responded "well, I afforded it at the time, I loved the way it looked and I thought it sounded a bit better. but looking back I wouldn't do it again" :) I would've never believed it without having experienced it first hand.

Talking about the powersupply:
The Mola Mola power supply looks more like the smps1200/700 available from hypex...
Would it be possible to use this supply for the ncore400 also, to improve the sound?

5. Hypex says the NC1200 would only sound better than the NC400 due to the use of a different power supply.

The voltage on the A700 is too high. You can use the A400 however you are back to 400 watts.

the NC1200 usese the voltages consistent with that from the A700.

Are we actually talking about Lessloss now?! Great - the thread needed a good comic relief!

Enjoy (responsibly) their advice on "Using a Computer as Digital Audio Source":
USB Audio and Computers : High end audio dac | Digital to analog converter | Audiophile dac by LessLoss

Sneak preview:

Playing the file from a deeply embedded folder instead of from top of directory: Audible.

Seems to have same effect when file path name is maximum length, regardless of directory structure. Probable reason -- buffering issue, since the music playback software takes considerably longer to load the data prior to playback in these cases.

I would certainly buy a Lessloss movie featuring a sexy blonde girl reading out loud the above suggestions (nice addition to my random comedy playlist, next to Louis CK, South Park, Big Bang Theory etc.); but I'm not sure I'd trust them for anything else, let alone a - potentially lethal - power cord!

Last edited:
Talking about the powersupply:
The Mola Mola power supply looks more like the smps1200/700 available from hypex...
Would it be possible to use this supply for the ncore400 also, to improve the sound?

The voltage on the A700 is too high. You can use the A400 however you are back to 400 watts.

the NC1200 usese the voltages consistent with that from the A700.

Well the SMPS1200A400 can of course be used and should provide more than enough for two nc400's. Whether the smps1200A400 would make the nc400 sound different than the smps600 or hypothetically if the nc400 could work on the smps1200A700, I have not seen any reports on.

Could be interesting if someone tested the smps1200A400 against a similar setup with smps600 and/or smps400 for that matter.

Could make a difference, but then again most things do, and the major questions is always how to translate those differences into a more enjoyable music experience and not just a slightly different sound :)

I'm about to build my passive two-way Abbey speakers in to active using a miinDSP. My inital thought was to use UcD modules because this is primarily a surround setup and due to price. Seing used Ncore modules being sold, I have wondered however if I should use Ncore for the tweeter and UcD400HG for the midrange/bass woofer. The tweeter (B&W DE-250) is crossed at 1kHz.

Any reasson why this shouldn't work well? Using Ncore for both drivers isn't an option, at least not in the beginning. Too pricey, especially since we're also talking about a center speaker. My surround speakers will remain passive and driven by UcD180HG.
I am close to finishing a pair of Abbeys. Where did you get the settings for the active crossover?
I will be very interested to hear how you think the actives compare to the passive set up. Will you post impressions ? Maybe start a thread on it?
Thsnks

People should stop talking about what sounds best and stick to how it mesasures.
What sounds best in a certain setup is depended on many things (e.g. speakers, response, music material, acoustics, level, mood, bias, etc) and doesn't give any meaningful objective information.
To try to make general conclusion of what is best based on subjective experiences is simply confusing people.

I thought the same when someone I know, when asked what made him upgrade from X to Y (where Y is considerably more expensive that X, somewhere in the 15k ballpark) responded "well, I afforded it at the time, I loved the way it looked and I thought it sounded a bit better. but looking back I wouldn't do it again" :) I would've never believed it without having experienced it first hand.

Good point. For some reason i assume people have rational motives. Apparently this is seldom the case.

Silicon ray chassis

Six weeks ago I ordered a pair of to use in an Ncore400 build. After not hearing anything, I tried to enter the website. It no longer accepts my username or password. Direct inquiry was replied to but by saying delivery was attempted. I have not received notice of who the shipper is, nor has an attempt to contact me been made. Silicon ray is,now saying I should contact local shipping, again without telling me who has it. At else have problems getting things from them? (On the other Hans the amp and power supply modules arrived within three days. Thanks

Six weeks ago I ordered a pair of to use in an Ncore400 build. After not hearing anything, I tried to enter the website. It no longer accepts my username or password. Direct inquiry was replied to but by saying delivery was attempted. I have not received notice of who the shipper is, nor has an attempt to contact me been made. Silicon ray is,now saying I should contact local shipping, again without telling me who has it. At else have problems getting things from them? (On the other Hans the amp and power supply modules arrived within three days. Thanks

Just ordered some chassis from them. I hope that your story isn't their typical case :eek:
I found their shipping fees quite strange, being forced to pay both exclusive shipping for each chassis and then again for the whole shipping. :confused:

Best

I am close to finishing a pair of Abbeys. Where did you get the settings for the active crossover?
I will be very interested to hear how you think the actives compare to the passive set up. Will you post impressions ? Maybe start a thread on it?
Thsnks
Earl doesn't give it out, but only set if for those who order finished active speakers.

I will probably share my impressions at a forum when I get there.

We did a GB of NCore enclosures a while ago and everything went smoothly.
One parcel (out of ~12 packages sent out) was stuck at a local post office for some reason and was returned to sender (i.e. SiliconRay) after a week or so; but they were fast to re-send at no extra charge.

There was an even more popular GB over at Audiocircle (?) which also went good as far as I know.

I'd say there's nothing to worry about. Overseas shipping can be like that sometimes.

Wave frequency is the period of a signal's modulation. The higher the frequency, shorter the wavelength. For instance the A/C power line has a frequency of 60 Hz. A 60 Hz A/C signal travelling at the speed of light goes 5,000,000 meters with each alternation of the current.

Well, that explanation doesn't really make anything clearer. Frequency is the period of a signal. It has nothing to do with modulation. What modulation are you talking about? And how is this magical "wave frequency" different from normal, regular "frequency"?

The A/C power line has the frequency of 60 Hz in the US, 50 Hz in Europe. The A/C power line signal is not modulated in any way (apart from the frequency and voltage variations in the grid, but they are not "modulation" in the traditional sense of the word.

I have to say it does sound a bit like you are throwing technical terms around without actually understanding what they mean - that might be a misunderstanding on my part, but that is how it reads to me.

....People should stop talking about what sounds best and stick to how it mesasures.....
Now that's anathema to the subjectivists on this board! :) Surely it will solicit a response from the hard core that say, "measurements don't tell the whole story". :D Personally, I think the measurements tell more about the device because they ARE a known quantity. Whereas, as you so well point out, the other factors are highly variable and different for every single system. If how it measures doesn't translate into how it fundamentally sounds, we all might as well give up and go home and buy a 2-transistor radio and call it HiFi. :eek::p

Status
Not open for further replies.