Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is still confusing to me. In this picture: http://jamesromeyn.com/wp-content/up.../IMG_41171.jpg

1. Is this showing the correct way to ground to earth for safety?..the black wire from the smps600 leg to IEC.

2. In the picture it looks like the metal braid from the xlr wire is not attached to the chassis as recommend in the nc400 manual. Shouldn't this be also done?

Or by doing both it's not recommended for some reason?

This is still confusing to me. In this picture: http://jamesromeyn.com/wp-content/up.../IMG_41171.jpg

I don't seem to be able to open that link.

1. Is this showing the correct way to ground to earth for safety?..the black wire from the smps600 leg to IEC.

If you have a metal chassis, the leg of the smps600 should connect directly to the chassis.

The mains safety earth from the IEC connector should also be connected to the chassis.

2. In the picture it looks like the metal braid from the xlr wire is not attached to the chassis as recommend in the nc400 manual. Shouldn't this be also done?

Yes, it should.

Or by doing both it's not recommended for some reason?

I don't see the picture either.

2. As Julf said it should, in correct balanced signals the shield is not part of the signal path but is only a shield. Think of it as a way of connecting the DAC and amp enclosurest and so by not connecting you might not get as good shielding.

It's the same picture on page 667, half way down, posted by mangew.

"Here are a picture as it seems to me a nice proper build, and here have the builder grounded the power supply with a wire directly to the ground on powersupply from the IEC inlet.
http://jamesromeyn.com/wp-content/up.../IMG_41171.jpg"

Last edited:
It's the same picture on page 667, half way down, posted by mangew.

Thanks! The important part from the signal/EMI point of view is the fact that the smps is connected to the chassis through the metal spacer. The mains safety earth connection is just that, a safety connection, so it doesn't matter where it is connected to the chassis as long as it is - and the attachment screw on the smps (that connects to the chassis) is just as good as any other point.

Hello, I just finished the build of my NCore (dual-mono) and am experiencing an issue with one of the channels. I was doing some initial listening tests and seemed fine for a while but at some point the one channel started fading out then shut down. The LEDs on that channel were coming on and off briefly and I could here a "clicking" noise coming from either the SMPS or the NC 400, it was hard to tell which one. I could see that the one LED on the NC400 labeled D31 was flashing while all other LEDs were off.

The other channel doesn't seem to have this issue...Yet!

I don't see any wire shorts or stray wires any where on the output. Any ideas what may be happening? Is there a sheet that lists what the LEDs mean anywhere?

I'm a bit salty at the moment to say the least. RMA'ing this thing is not something I am looking forward to considering the cost and amount of time it could take.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

the clicking is the protection relays, I bet you do have a wiring error/short somewhere. got any pics?

A short would be my guess too, it is clearly the protection kicking in. Some people have had issues with overly aggressive overvoltage protection that might need recalibration.

The leds don't have any meaning - they are all in series to provide a controlled voltage drop, and are either all on or all off.

Hello and thanks for the info.

Funny thing is that the amp was running good for about 10min and then all of a sudden I heard the right channel fade out for a moment then come back to normal. I walked out of the room for about 15min and came back to check things out. With my ear near the amp I heard the clicking and then the lights went out except for the one LED which was flickering in tandem with the clicking noise.

Please see pics attached and let me know if you see anything wrong. The NC400 on the right hand side is the one with the issue. For the XLR Inputs, I have PIN1 connected to the steel jacket of the NC400 Input signal cable. Also connected to PIN1 is a solid core 20ga wire which is then attached to chassis ground. NAMPON is also attached to the same point of chassis ground as PIN1.

Speaker cable output wires are connected to NC400 Posts via wire terminal loop and are not touching each other. I can't see any stray wires touching chassis anywhere.

..Thanks

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_07613.jpg

IMG_07636.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for your assistance on this. Not sure what you mean by ohming out though? What I have done was use multimeter on continuity setting where a "Short" produces a beep. I took these measurements with one Probe on the IEC earth pin and the second probe on the following points below:

Chassis: result --Beep
PIN1 on XLR: result --Beep
Ring Terminals at Star bolt on chassis: result --Beep
Steel jacket of Input signal cable near the point it attaches to NC400: result --Beep
Steel jacket of Input signal cable near the point it attaches to PIN1: result --Beep
Bare back panel of inside chassis where XLR and speaker terminals pass thru: result --Beep
Base of chassis around NC400 base plate: result --Beep
Metal standoff foot of SMPS600's: result --Beep

This Bleeping thing appears to be well tied together at all points :headbash:

You would be dead on.. If you got good beeps at all those points then the only other thing you can check is the cable harness plugs to make sure they are all seated well.

You might be able to check the voltages from the smps to see if there is a problem but that would be unexpected.

After checking the harness plugs it would then need to be a ticket / case with Hypex.

Ok, I just finished up my second dual mono amp and am testing it now to see if it has similar issues. It's a mirror build of the other one.

I'll report back the results. If all goes well with this one then I guess I'm another lucky one who received a module with current protection set by a timid hand. If it were a ham fisted American setting the dials there would have probably been an issue on the opposite side of the spectrum...:devilr:

Is the AC grounded? If the chassis is floating the the nampon is not being pulled to ground.

The AC safety earth is only for safety. NAMPON needs to be connected to signal ground (pin 4 on J9, audio input - so the shield on the audio input wire). It doesn't matter if it is connected to the chassis or not.

For the XLR Inputs, I have PIN1 connected to the steel jacket of the NC400 Input signal cable. Also connected to PIN1 is a solid core 20ga wire which is then attached to chassis ground. NAMPON is also attached to the same point of chassis ground as PIN1.

Sounds OK.

Like in PC's, some SMPSs don't come on unless they are connected to the load therefore checking them before hand is impossible. A linear PS would no doubt be checked before connection. But since an SMPS is machine made to exacting specifications the chance of it being off is slim. And if it were bad it and the NCore unit would be under warranty for the first tun on / light show... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.