Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) take the speaker leads from the same side (toward the edge), not opposite, and away from the inductor, then twist together, doesn't need to be much twist.

2) put xlr's on the input and use the amp in balanced mode. this can make a huge difference in noise induction into the amp. you will need a rca to xlr cable preferably or an adapter. see Bruno's papers for proper construction.

3) Under normal construction situations, the chassis ground from the SMPS and the Ncore would both be attached to the chassis, you could simulate that with a wire between the two. Not sure if that would make much of a difference, but may.

question, with the amp inputs disconnected (both), do you have any noise?

Alan

Yes, no reason for BP to bring it up again...

Bruno didn't bring the issue up; he clarified in response to the poster who made the comment. If you have been following the thread you know who the member is, so there is no need to name names.

The point is that we are all here to help each other get the best out of the ncore. The ncore may not be for everybody. It's OK (even helpful) to let the members know where the ncore didn't meet your needs -- perhaps another member might even benefit from your experience. It's not OK to keep on bashing the product ad nauseum (sp?); better to just leave the forum.

Like everything else in life: keep it positive. :D

Abraxas

Twist the psu cables
Twist the speaker cables and take them from the same side of each terminal

This is mentioned on the data sheet (and earlier in the mega thread)

Can't see what you've done with your input leads - what are the terminals of the RCA connected to?

The orientation of the right hand amp is better than the left as the input cable avoids the psu wiring

Alan, Chris, Bruno:

Re inputs - input pins 2,3,4 go to the ground of the RCA connector, basically like in figure 4 of the data sheet without case. Input cables are not fixed in any way - if connected they are placed away from the psu wiring.
I used RCA to be able to connect sources directly and skip preamplification. Since there is no additional "ground" it should be ok?

Re twisting - I know they are supposed to be twisted, but this is the impatient setup ;). I agree however that before mentioning noise that should have been done. Will correct and report back.

Best Regards
Sven

Last edited:
I used RCA to be able to connect sources directly and skip preamplification. Since there is no additional "ground" it should be ok?

going directly from source is quite lovely, however its still preferable to use a balanced input connection extended to the output of the source, even if the source is unbalanced (such as your setup).

This retains the inherent noise rejection properties of the balanced input in the amp. So that means an XLR on the amp end and phono on the source. See Bruno's notes on building it.

The twisting isn't as important as moving the output wire away from the inductor.

Still hope to get the answer to the question: is there any noise with the input connectors disconnected?

Alan

Last edited:
I apologize in adance for the novice questions. I have searched this thread for my answers and I think I understand the input cable connections. I am about to solder my Mogami cable to the XLR connectors, but before I screw up, could someone please help me make sure I am doing this right. I plan on using the "Preferred" connections for fully balanced use. Thanks.

1. I have no ground connected to my IEC, correct?

2. Is the "Nampon" wire the small black wire attached to the Mogami cable?

3. Does this wire connect to the chassis?

4. Is the shield wire of the Mogami cable also connected to the chassis?

5. It appears that the XLR connector shown as "1Q" is also connected to the chassis.

If I am correct, the XLR "1Q", Nampon wire and the Mogami shield are all connected to the chassis with no ground connection to the IEC?

1. I have no ground connected to my IEC, correct?

2. Is the "Nampon" wire the small black wire attached to the Mogami cable?

3. Does this wire connect to the chassis?

4. Is the shield wire of the Mogami cable also connected to the chassis?

5. It appears that the XLR connector shown as "1Q" is also connected to the chassis.

If I am correct, the XLR "1Q", Nampon wire and the Mogami shield are all connected to the chassis with no ground connection to the IEC?

Yes to all of those, but you might want to keep the chassis connections short and close to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.