Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say that the ncore 400 modules are an exceptional audio value! After a few hours of playing they shook off their sonic malaise and started to draw one into the music in an engaging, rather than novelty, fashion. As a tube audio circuit designer I recognize with the power range tube amps I work with (<100w/ch) that compression of musical dynamics is a constant reality. The ncore 400s point this out clearly even at modest volume levels. They also have the quality of impressive musical transparency, which is probably also related to the power available to some degree, but persists at low volume levels where power is not a factor. I look forward to spending more time with these and discovering more about their music reproduction qualities.

I must say that the ncore 400 modules are an exceptional audio value! After a few hours of playing they shook off their sonic malaise and started to draw one into the music in an engaging, rather than novelty, fashion. As a tube audio circuit designer I recognize with the power range tube amps I work with (<100w/ch) that compression of musical dynamics is a constant reality. The ncore 400s point this out clearly even at modest volume levels. They also have the quality of impressive musical transparency, which is probably also related to the power available to some degree, but persists at low volume levels where power is not a factor. I look forward to spending more time with these and discovering more about their music reproduction qualities.

Nice to hear that you like them. I know I do! :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2008

That's interesting!

I friend of mine (who is a classical musician as well as hifi-"nut") has listened to my system with both UcD and Ncore amps, and he noted that the dynamics was the biggest difference, especially at high frequencies. There was more "metal" on piano and more attack on orchestral percussion.

The ncore 400s point this out clearly even at modest volume levels. They also have the quality of impressive musical transparency, which is probably also related to the power available to some degree, but persists at low volume levels where power is not a factor. I look forward to spending more time with these and discovering more about their music reproduction qualities.

I think what is often overlooked about these amps (not really a comment to you Kevin) is that they produce power with very little distortion.

Conventionally I think people need higher power amps not for the absolute power available, but to increase the amount of low-distortion power available, keeping the amps out of their higher-distortion working area. In this case the distortion stays low all the way up to clipping.

On another point, looking at the plots in the data sheet again there seems to be a contradiction between the first 2 plots in section 9.2

From the THD vs. freq plot (right hand plot) we get
~0.00045% distortion @ 1W
~0.0009% @10W

From the THD+Noise vs. power plot (left hand plot) we get
~0.0015% distortion @1W
~0.0005% distortion @10W

Why the difference between the two plots?
Or are the green and blue traces on the right hand plot mis-labelled?
(which I would infer from the above values)
Otherwise what have I misunderstood or misinterpreted?

I was going to comment that, from the left hand plot, the distortion seems pretty well down in the noise floor up to about 5W, then the distortion becomes more dominant (but still at a low level) up to about 60W, but then I realised it didn't seem to match up with the right hand plot

I'M very disappoint the way This company do business ,I ask them to cancel my order on monday and Jan Peter said ,We're spend too much time supporting you,wtf ,I email them twice regarding bridging .Today ,i get an email the packet is on the way.i feel really uncomfortable with a company try to push the product down your throat.

lapsan

I'M very disappoint the way This company do business ,I ask them to cancel my order on monday and Jan Peter said ,We're spend too much time supporting you,wtf ,I email them twice regarding bridging .Today ,i get an email the packet is on the way.i feel really uncomfortable with a company try to push the product down your throat.

lapsan

I am sure they don't need to "push the product down your throat" when there is a long list of eager buyers waiting for their product. It was likely in the post before your cancellation arrived.

There is much info available via google search re: bridging, including answers from Bruno. We are lucky that they are willing to sell tiny orders to DIYers. They don't have time to handhold us when the answers have already been posted publicly.

I think what is often overlooked about these amps (not really a comment to you Kevin) is that they produce power with very little distortion.

Conventionally I think people need higher power amps not for the absolute power available, but to increase the amount of low-distortion power available, keeping the amps out of their higher-distortion working area. In this case the distortion stays low all the way up to clipping.

On another point, looking at the plots in the data sheet again there seems to be a contradiction between the first 2 plots in section 9.2

From the THD vs. freq plot (right hand plot) we get
~0.00045% distortion @ 1W
~0.0009% @10W

From the THD+Noise vs. power plot (left hand plot) we get
~0.0015% distortion @1W
~0.0005% distortion @10W

Why the difference between the two plots?
Or are the green and blue traces on the right hand plot mis-labelled?
(which I would infer from the above values)
Otherwise what have I misunderstood or misinterpreted?

I was going to comment that, from the left hand plot, the distortion seems pretty well down in the noise floor up to about 5W, then the distortion becomes more dominant (but still at a low level) up to about 60W, but then I realised it didn't seem to match up with the right hand plot

Could it be that the right hand is @8R whereas the left is @4R?
If so, that would also explain the 100W (right hand) in relation to the left hand plot.
- It seems that you can basically move the entire 4R (left) curve to the left to estimate the 8R behavior.
The 2R curve later in the data sheet appear to be rather similar to the 4R, just moved to the right, thus achieving higher THD levels at the same power ratings. -Probably due to the larger current delivery...

Hope that helped.

Best,

Could it be that the right hand is @8R whereas the left is @4R?
If so, that would also explain the 100W (right hand) in relation to the left hand plot.
- It seems that you can basically move the entire 4R (left) curve to the left to estimate the 8R behavior.
The 2R curve later in the data sheet appear to be rather similar to the 4R, just moved to the right, thus achieving higher THD levels at the same power ratings. -Probably due to the larger current delivery...

Hope that helped.

Best,

No, in all the thd + noise plots the distortion is higher at 1w than 10w, but not in the right hand plot

I am sure they don't need to "push the product down your throat" when there is a long list of eager buyers waiting for their product. It was likely in the post before your cancellation arrived.

There is much info available via google search re: bridging, including answers from Bruno. We are lucky that they are willing to sell tiny orders to DIYers. They don't have time to handhold us when the answers have already been posted publicly.
Nope,i don't think so.It's straight from Jen peter mouth himself .I can post the email exchange between me and Jen Peter if you want?I want Jen peter answer this himself.It's pretty Clear when i cancel my order on Monday and shipping is on Wednesday

lapsan

Status
Not open for further replies.