Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
The (HUGE) difference is that you may need to put (perhaps) 47 Ohms in series with the speaker unit to get the effect you want. This resistor will be wasting a very large proportion of the amp power. If you synthesize the high output impedance by using a low value (<1 Ohm) resistor in series with the speaker, and then use a feedback loop to get the desired Z(out), the power wastage is minimal.

Theoretically yes, but of course you will use the '-' input of the amp for the current-derived feedback signal, so the NC will use the '+' input for the input signal, so you lose the balanced i/p arrangement. I have not tried this on a UCD (I don't have any NCs), so I don't know if the amplifier will be happy connected like this, though it should be ok. BUT... a bigger problem is the fact that you are not using a customised gain-block for the amp having a high O/L gain, but a gain-block with around a 26dB gain instead. You may well find that it isn't really practicable to do this and get a high enough value of transconductance for the design.
Now of course in an ideal world you would add an op-amp based input differential gain stage in front of the NC to sum the input signal with the current-derived feedback signal to restore your gain, but this brings up the spectre of instability (gain/phase Bode plot problems) in a big way.

So to me that is quite the same as putting a resistor inline with the driver? Will not Rf still be burning much of the outputted power? I don't really understand the practical difference.

in my experiment I was using a 44 ohms resistor inline with a 16 ohms driver (Re, but lets simplify). That gives a total load of 60 ohms, and only ~1/4 of the outputted power going into the driver.
My amp puts 690W into 8 ohms, so should be able to put max 100W into 60 ohms, so around 25W going into the driver itself.
With a 200W/8 ohms ncore the same logic would go down to less than 7W...

I am sure I am missing something here, though :)
have a look at
Op Amp Fundamentals: The Transconductance Amplifier
When you've digested that come back and ask the next level of questions

The output impedance of the closed loop transconductance amplifier is very high because it's part of the closed loop.
Rf isn't the output impedence of the system, it's there as an I/V convertor to provide the voltage signal to the -ve input of the opamp

Intermittent sound and shut down eventually

I have received my two sets of n-core 400 and smps 600 last week, and assembled them this week.
One of them is working pefectly, but the other one worked for just a brief moment. There was sound, but is was intermittent, every 1 sec it was interupted. After some time, there was a click of the smps and since it has been clicking so far (every 2 sec; no lights on nc 400). The SMPS disconnected and powerup just clikcs once, so seems ok.
So it seems it is in some sort of protection mode? DC I suppose?
How do I clear this error state?
I read some threads about not well calibrated dc in and out output and applying 3v to pin 1 and 2 (what does this do exaclty?).
Can anyone share the instructions how to calibrate the DC setting (if that would help to solve the problem)?
I already contacted hypex, but no response yet (it is weekend, so I guess it will be next week).
Can't wait before I have two working n-cores!

Any tips/suggestions what I can do? Thanks in advance!

It might. The inrush current is fairy high when the mains side capacitors are charged. I have six SMPS600 powering up at the same time, and the lights in my room really go dim when I power it up.

Wouldn't a simple delay circuit that turns the SMPSs on in sequence be better? Not sure what happens with a SMPS when you limit the input current with a resistor....

Status
Not open for further replies.