Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I would like to make my own balanced connections between the amp and my XLR inputs. I just wanted to verify that I have the right part.

This is the correct Molex connector, correct?
CONN RECEPT 4POS 3MM VERT DUAL - 43025-0400

What I don't know is, what Crimp Terminal do I want to use?
View List

Thank you

You have the right cable connection block. Regarding the crimp terminals you want to pick one that is supplied as a bag (normally 100) rather than a reel. You then need to pick one to suit your cable thickness. Then just click on the various options that fit these criteria to check they fit the housing.

I have details of those needed to make your own power cable and if you are making shorter (or longer) cables between NC400 and SMPS600.

The ncore is supposed to be the best amplifier in the world, even better than linear amps. And all you say is superb clarity. Is that all? Is it just marketing again?

First of all I'm not a writer to describe my listening experience in much detail with all kind of fancy words. And your remark reminded me of a comment Hypex made on the NCore in one of their White papers:
Reviewers, prepare yourselves: Ncore continues
along the path set out by UcD and the step forward
is quite big. If you want to wax lyrically about all
the different sonic colours and textures amplifiers
can add to the listening experience, there’s not
much to say. If you want to forget completely that
you’re listening to an amplifier, how it’s made and
how it works and instead you just want to get
sucked into the music, this amp is for you.

And that is exactly what it does.. :D:D

Hey guys, ever since I fixed my DC problem and have been spending more time listening i've noticed another problem (probably not ncore related). It seems like I have a lot of static noise on my tweeters. It is fairly audible and changes depending how much volume I have set on the pre. It is also there when no music is playing. Any recommendations?

I'm just a bit surprised because it has been mentioned here that the ncores and very "black" and quiet and the same thing has been said for my mytek dac, many people comment on how their is absolutely no noise other then music, lots of reference to stuff like deep/black/etc, so i'm kind of stumped with this static?

Hey guys, ever since I fixed my DC problem and have been spending more time listening i've noticed another problem (probably not ncore related). It seems like I have a lot of static noise on my tweeters. It is fairly audible and changes depending how much volume I have set on the pre

The fact that it depends on the volume on the preamp makes it pretty likely it's not a ncore issue. So do you actually have a preamp between your DAC and the ncores, or is it a DAC with built-in preamp. How much do you usually have to turn up the volume for normal listening? Is the "static" really white noise (hiss), or more like good old-fashioned radio static (so more spiking/sparking than pure white noise)?

Ah, ok. Just programmed a button to mute. Static still there when muted, but music still plays very faintly through the tweeter when muted.
Not sure how the volume display on the dac relates to true full scale dB, but usually just normal on the couch listening is around -46. Obviously that varies depending on the recording but I would say that is about average.

Ah, ok. Just programmed a button to mute. Static still there when muted, but music still plays very faintly through the tweeter when muted.
Hmm. Either the mute is badly designed, or designed that way on purpose.

Not sure how the volume display on the dac relates to true full scale dB, but usually just normal on the couch listening is around -46. Obviously that varies depending on the recording but I would say that is about average.

OK, a possible issue is that the nc400 is fairly sensitive (or has a fair bit of gain, depending on how you want to look at it). Great in that works even with weak, unbalanced consumer grade signals, but a proper balanced XLR stage is much "hotter", so you are actually giving away a fair bit of signal-to-noise ratio by having the volume turned down that low. If your normal listening level is somewhere around 75 dB, your "full volume" would be 121 dB.... I assume you haven't ever tried playing at full volume?

Sounds you could easily lower the gain by 10 dB (lowering the HF hiss by the same amount) and instead turn up the volume by 10 dB., but that involves the R141 surgery that I right now can't recommend to anyone... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.