Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PR is a bit vague. Let me explain. What happened is that while I was designing Ncore I occasionally found bits and pieces that I could use in UcD as well. They are the gate drive circuit, a new comparator and optimizations to improve distortion before clip. Overall distortion improvement is around 6dB but more interestingly idle losses are also almost halved.

Any UcD module designed since contains these improvements, for no reason other than chronology. Currently they are the UcD250LP and a new UcD400OEM. Neither module is sold into the DIY. The HG and ST modules will receive the same tune-up in due course but the DIY NC400 module takes absolute priority.

Since not every new reader has the patience to read the whole thread, let me recap the overall plan for Ncore. UcD is already rather good and certainly adequate for practically any application. It would make no sense to rush out and flood the market with Ncore. So we're reserving Ncore for high end companies prepared to give it the profile it deserves. The NC1200 is the platform for that, so it isn't sold freely. I'm saying platform because we're offering customization. One of class D's problems in the high-end market has been the perception that it's just the same module in different boxes. We'll make sure one company's NC1200 won't be the same as another's (although of course measured performance will be the same).

For the DIY market there will be an über-tweaked version called NC400.

Last edited:
Fantastic information Bruno - many thanks.

I'm looking forward to seeing what British speaker manufacturer PMC have to say about Ncore. As I understand it they currently use UcD400OEM's in their first ever branded stand-alone amplifer, having moved from away flying mole class D amps that were offered as integrated into some of their 'active' studio monitors. The amp got mixed reviews from the Hi-Fi world, and although I haven't heard it myself, it seems to make sense as when I first connected a class D amp to my PMC speakers, it took some getting used to.

To my ears, connecting a good class D amp to speakers from a studio monitoring background can be so revealing of the original source it sometimes verges on intrusive and offensive. I guess that's not something all Hi-Fi listeners are prepared to tolerate!

StigErik,

As I got it the ncore will need dedicated low voltage supplies for the front end due to much higher current consumption of the discrete class A buffer, unless those plans have been scraped...

-Jan-Peter, I guess you mean that the SMPS400 is only useful as supply for the output stages, not the input stages, no? Or has the plans concerning the discrete class A input stage been changed recently?

StigErik,

As I got it the ncore will need dedicated low voltage supplies for the front end due to much higher current consumption of the discrete class A buffer, unless those plans have been scraped...

-Jan-Peter, I guess you mean that the SMPS400 is only useful as supply for the output stages, not the input stages, no? Or has the plans concerning the discrete class A input stage been changed recently?

Aarggghhh, you're completely right here!

It means only the SMPS1200A400 is compatible for the DIY NC400!

Status
Not open for further replies.