Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be nice to find some caps with actual insulated flexible leads, going to be hard to incorporate those regular cap with single bare wire leads into my case, especially 2 of them.

Ah, but then you have to attach them somewhere. One reason to go for smaller caps (how about 0.22 uF as a compromise, still giving a 8Hz cutoff?) is that they can be small and light enough to solder directly onto the input XLR connector terminals. That's how I would do it if I was using XLR's (as mine is a multi-channel setup, I am using a "custom" CAT6 connection between DAC/active crossover and the amps).

OK, so where does signal ground connect to chassis/power ground?

Right beside the board. :)

We are talking about Vsig, the symmetric supply to the op amps? It's ground connects to the same ground as the main power supply, pins 3,4,9 and 10 on J7. I assume you are not connecting the optional driver supply voltage (Vdr, pin 11) at all?

I do not use the pin 11 or the pin 5. I have connected the gnd from the symmetric supply for the input to the end of the gnd for the output section. On the SMPS all the gnd are connected to the same place.

Ah, but then you have to attach them somewhere. One reason to go for smaller caps (how about 0.22 uF as a compromise, still giving a 8Hz cutoff?) is that they can be small and light enough to solder directly onto the input XLR connector terminals. That's how I would do it if I was using XLR's (as mine is a multi-channel setup, I am using a "custom" CAT6 connection between DAC/active crossover and the amps).

8 hz cutoff will make phase fault from 80 hz and down. I can assure you that can be heard.

Just to clarify so I know what i'm getting into before hand.. these 2 capacitors per channel that i'm going to put in, are they going in series with the inputs?
So one in series with the "hot" (pin 2), and one in series with the "cold" (pin 3)?

I don't have time to read the whole thread but do these modules sound better when run balanced? And has anyone run them balanced bridged (using two amps per channel and using the hot of each amp for the outputs)? The Spectron Class D amps are suppose to sound way better when run in mono bridged mode. Would this be true with these modules as well? Can they be run balanced bridged? Bruno?
if you find time to use the thread search tool you'll see that Bruno answered about bridging previously (last sept)

Whether it sounds'better'is a different question. How much power do you actually need? There's no inherent reason why it should sound better

Just to clarify so I know what i'm getting into before hand.. these 2 capacitors per channel that i'm going to put in, are they going in series with the inputs?
So one in series with the "hot" (pin 2), and one in series with the "cold" (pin 3)?

Yes - so one cap goes between pin 2 on the XLR and the + input (pin 1 J9) on the hypex, and the other between pin 3 on the XLR and the - input (pin 2 J9) on the hypex.

OK, so what size of capacitor do you recommend?

I was told that I should not go higher than 3Hz cutoff otherwise it will roll off the lower bass because it isn't perfect so some frequency near but above the cutoff will come through but with less volume. Was recommended to stay WELL below of the frequency I don't want affected.
Again this was just another opinion, i'm trying to learn/gather as much information about this as I can just for my personal knowledge to try and expand on the little bit I know about electronics/audio.

And buying another dac isn't going to happen, already lost money on the one I sold to buy this, not going to take another hit selling this one, when I can fix the problem for a absolute maximum of $20 without any sonic impact.

Seems like the tail is wagging the dog....By the sounds of things you have already invested hours in this- maybe you don't put any value on your time....

Seems like the tail is wagging the dog....By the sounds of things you have already invested hours in this- maybe you don't put any value on your time....

I also don't just give up and throw large sums of money at the problem to "fix" it.

Selling a new piece of gear is time wasting as well as a stupid financial decision. Not only do I have to start researching and listening to new dacs (wasting time), I have to deal with selling this one, dealing with people offers, packaging it and bringing it to the post office and again losing a lot of money in the process.

Or I could just spend a few bucks, learn some new things from the technical sides of one of my hobbies and fix it myself and feel a sense of accomplishment.

The tail wagging the dog is usually on bitches who think money solves everything.

if you find time to use the thread search tool you'll see that Bruno answered about bridging previously (last sept)

Whether it sounds'better'is a different question. How much power do you actually need? There's no inherent reason why it should sound better

I'd also like to add that there is no voodoo here Ric. These NC400's are mean't for diy people not commercial sales like yourself buying and selling the products.

Selling a new piece of gear is time wasting as well as a stupid financial decision. Not only do I have to start researching and listening to new dacs (wasting time), I have to deal with selling this one, dealing with people offers, packaging it and bringing it to the post office and again losing a lot of money in the process.

But it may be the best solution from a sound standpoint....

Since when is listening to audio gear a "waste of time"?

Or I could just spend a few bucks, learn some new things from the technical sides of one of my hobbies and fix it myself and feel a sense of accomplishment.

The tail wagging the dog is usually on bitches who think money solves everything.

And maybe have a less than optimal solution....

It's not about money it is about optimal solutions. Sometimes it's best to throw away that square peg and pick up a round one....especially if that round hole is an optimal amp that one has already spent the time and money on....

But hey, to each his own. Enjoy the triage....

Status
Not open for further replies.