Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Julf/Mark/Alan thanks again for all the help and guidance. I do not need to get the parts from partsconnexion, but they were the only Canadian website I could think of that sold caps/resistors off hand. I'll definitely look at the mouser parts to save money.

One other thing, Alan, you mentioned a DC servo, is this some sort of alternative to adding these caps and resistors? Is this a separate piece of equipment I can buy to put in between? Any benefit over with a servo over caps and resistors? And finally, is there some place that I can just buy one pre-assembeld or would I need to buy some parts and do it myself?

Thanks!

Agree. Was about to write "do you really have to get the stuff from Parts Connection? What's wrong with Mouser", but erased it mid-sentence, not wanting to get religious.

PC is Canadian, so we don't have to deal with exchange and outrageous import fees from the carriers. They also sell audiophile oriented parts.

But if it isn't in the signal path, who cares about audiophile? Sometimes we get carried away.

I thought I read that the new B&W Zeppelin Air uses ncore amplifiers unique to it (25w and 50w), but cannot find any reference to that now. Does anyone know if this is true, and could you provide a link, please?
I'm surprised that B&W makes no specific mention in their literature, although they do say "audiophile class D amplifiers".

Julf/Mark/Alan thanks again for all the help and guidance. I do not need to get the parts from partsconnexion, but they were the only Canadian website I could think of that sold caps/resistors off hand. I'll definitely look at the mouser parts to save money.

One other thing, Alan, you mentioned a DC servo, is this some sort of alternative to adding these caps and resistors? Is this a separate piece of equipment I can buy to put in between? Any benefit over with a servo over caps and resistors? And finally, is there some place that I can just buy one pre-assembeld or would I need to buy some parts and do it myself?

Thanks!

that would really be off topic

lots of threads on DIY should have dc servo info, there is also a small app note somewhere on the Hypex site re the UCD and servo's

it would require a working knowledge of design and construction

Alan

Agree. That is why I was asking about the inductance of the caps. You definitely need low esr - and low esr at higher frequencies.

Of course I use a slow start for the 230 V . But even when I turn the vario trafo very very slowly up it shut down around 63 V . What big ripple will occur when turning slowly up the voltage ?

Maybe I should add some smaller caps by the end of the supply but I think they allready are on the board.

Anyway Hypex asked for some pictures and I just sent them.

am I the only one thinking that there should be an unofficial (as in not written by Hypex) NCORE FAQ?

concerning Erlend's problem... some have said that he may be having ripple at PS out. I'm assuming he's measuring with no load (since the amp isn't working). in which case his DMM should be reading peak rectified voltage. he's getting 60 something which is pretty far from the 75V in the NC data sheet.
also supply pumping should not be occurring with not functioning amps. worst case he should be getting intermittent output. but this is only guessing.

Well there is load since the amp work up to more than 60 V.

Try hooking up your scoop to see what is actually happening, That's the only way to make progress I guess, all the rest would be speculation. Put your voltage probe at the NC400 power connector and take a look at the ripple on your supply.

If it reaches 75V (either on the negative or the positive side) the NC400 will shut down according to the datasheet..

Try hooking up your scoop to see what is actually happening, That's the only way to make progress I guess, all the rest would be speculation. Put your voltage probe at the NC400 power connector and take a look at the ripple on your supply.

If it reaches 75V (either on the negative or the positive side) the NC400 will shut down according to the datasheet..

Must be next week as the amp is not by me. I will get a report on the sound tomorrow. I just heard them for 1/2 an hour. Next time they will go to the owner a Tube loving guy who do not like class AB amps. Also they will be listen to at 115 DB system. If there is any ripple this system will show it.

Anyway the sound is very good but I guess my modded Coldamp Sonora 750 is better. They beated Krell 750 W monoblocs. ;) .

Would somebody else chime in with their experiences around the NC400 ?

Does it sound good ? And how good ?

Are there general problems getting the NC400 work ?

Thanks in advance
Arthur.

there are a variety of reviews in this thread already. Would like to see more considering number of units sold. Mine is there.

very few problems getting it to work, none I know of that use the SMPS (except forgetting to ground the enable wire)

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.