Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I'll bite. How do you know that for sure?

Because the amp turned off when the variotransformer gave the last few volts. The input section did not change much .

In a few hours I will be sure I think. Almost finnished mounting extra bridge. The mains is rather high were I live so bringing the amps on the country side will turn the mains ( 235 v here) a little more down.

Good as a social environment, less good if you are actually looking for expertise, and it seems the policy is increasingly that in order to maintain the cosy social atmosphere, you are not supposed to question the claims people make.

Shouldn't come as a surprise.
Most online communities pick quantity over quality.
Money is mostly linked to the former, after all.

That's good to hear! :)

OK, to check - so what you have now is a power supply with two secondary windings on the transformer, but only one diode bridge? So the secondary windings are connected to form one winding with a centre tap, and the ends of the combined winding is feeding the bridge? The bridge produces the + and - outputs, with ground derived from the centre tap point?

Such a circuit is very sensitive to inbalance in load - so add the ripple from an unregulated supply, and you could possibly be hitting the overvoltage limit on one half.

Yes you are completly right about ervrything here thats one of the reasons I will use one bridge more in each monoamp. :)

Because the amp turned off when the variotransformer gave the last few volts. The input section did not change much .

Is your supply for the input section regulated? If not, I would have assumed it would track the (vario)transformer output pretty much linearly.

In a few hours I will be sure I think. Almost finnished mounting extra bridge.

Great! Let us know how it goes!

Yes, doing the resistors one at a time is the next logical step. Careful with measuring the resistors when in-circuit, the input circuitry of the nc400 might not like the voltage from the meter when measuring resistance.

Just a terminology issue - there really isn't a "hot" and "cold" in a fully balanced circuit. One input is non-inverting, the other inverting. But anyway, try with just one resistor, first from one input to ground, and then from the other to ground, and see if there is a difference in output voltage.

Got a reply from hypex, looks like a possibility that mine were not calibrated at the factory. I need to adjust 2 of the potentiometers. One to first bring input voltage across hot and ground down to 0 and then adjust another to bring output voltage down to 0. I'm just slightly worried because there is a third potentiometer and I don't know what it does, chances are it probably wasn't adjusted to the optimal setting.

Also Julf if you can verify.

Measuring and adjusting input voltage. I would do this across pin2 and ground with my source cable plugged in and no music playing correct?

I think I had measured this prior and it was already 0.

Guess i'll give this a shot later tonight when I get back from work.

Decided to go in late to work since I just had to try and fix up the amp.

Did what they recommended to first adjust one potentiometer to get input down to 0 and then another potentiometer to get output down to 0. Both potentiometers showed absolutely no change in their respective voltage from the minimum setting to the maximum setting. This is getting a little disappointing.

Did what they recommended to first adjust one potentiometer to get input down to 0 and then another potentiometer to get output down to 0. Both potentiometers showed absolutely no change in their respective voltage from the minimum setting to the maximum setting. This is getting a little disappointing.

Are you sure you use the right potentiometers ?

I am just wondering if you are measuring the right thing. What exactly did the hypex guys tell you - I don't think they used the term "hot"?

Hi Roberto,

Those are quite high DC voltages indeed. The modules are adjusted here to have as low an offset as possible.

You can try adjusting the potentiometers R95 and R136. First measure on the input between the hot input and ground. Adjust R95 until you reach as close to 0 V as possible.
Then measure on the output with the amp enabled and adjust R136 until you measure as close to 0 V as possible.

Kind regards,

Shouldn't come as a surprise.
Most online communities pick quantity over quality.
Money is mostly linked to the former, after all.

The thing that was surprising to me was that the administrator told me "Based on your PM conversations it appears you are no longer interested in Computer Audiophile for anything other than your own amusement", seeing nothing wrong in reading private messages using his administrator privileges. Oh well...

You can try adjusting the potentiometers R95 and R136. First measure on the input between the hot input and ground. Adjust R95 until you reach as close to 0 V as possible.
Then measure on the output with the amp enabled and adjust R136 until you measure as close to 0 V as possible.

Thanks! OK, I stand corrected. How sensitive is your most sensitive voltage range on your voltmeter? I assume you are showing 0V between the non-inverting input and ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.