Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pot as the feedback network around in inverting op amp circuit is the cleanest analogue volume control you can make. One I made with a 9mm car audio pot sounds completely transparent and with a decent op amp distortion is unmeasurable at all useful gain settings. For high input impedance, add an input buffer. For balanced input, make that an instrumentation amp. Actually the input circuit is more difficult to get right (as in "inaudible and unmeasurable") than the volume control section.

Got a schematic for that, perhaps? It's a theoretically elegant solution but practical implementation seems to pose a number of potential problems.

Bruno, since you're online:
- what do you think about standard (metal encased) XLR connector vs non-encased (plastic only)? is there any disadvantage to the latter (shielding)?
I mean http://www.directproaudio.com/images/products/neutrik-nc3mpp.jpg
and
http://sigma.octopart.com/5377101/image/Neutrik-NC3FD-H.jpeg

- since I'll be using the group buy case which has an (3 mm thick) aluminum inside panel that can separate the amps from the supply, would you think that would provide some screening? that is in case I go for a "lesser" SMPS :)

Bandwidth would vary by a factor 2 between zero volume and unity gain. I don't think that from, say 20MHz to 10MHz is going to be an issue :)

@mrpp: I use whichever XLR I have at hand. The most critical item is the pin 1 to case connection (which is a tad better with all-metal parts).
Re screening, ask yourself what you're going to screen: magnetic interference, capacitively coupled noise or conducted emissions. Which screening mechanism is useful will follow.

A pot as the feedback network around in inverting op amp circuit is the cleanest analogue volume control you can make. One I made with a 9mm car audio pot sounds completely transparent and with a decent op amp distortion is unmeasurable at all useful gain settings. For high input impedance, add an input buffer. For balanced input, make that an instrumentation amp. Actually the input circuit is more difficult to get right (as in "inaudible and unmeasurable") than the volume control section.
hey Bruno,
is in your opinion, simply pot from low shelf quality, equal to all those super clean passive preamps ?
I am very happy owner of hypex ucd400hg just upgraded with HxR, at the moment I use temporary NHT PRO passive volume controller (balanced in/out) as a volume attenuator.
I also have khozmo shunt attenuator based volume controller (unfortunately unfinished diy:( ..) and I am in the need of passive attenuator (as for my knowledge it's most transparent idea to have it passive). I run small online mastering studio, so transparency tool is a paramount.
What would you suggest for me to look into ?
as a pre for hypex (monitors are at the moment - PMC TB2)
I had an experience with ldr attenuator and L/R imbalance was unacceptable.
thanks for answer, and big kudos to your company, product and extraordinary customer service

hey Bruno,
is in your opinion, simply pot from low shelf quality, equal to all those super clean passive preamps ?
Only in this particular circuit. I'd never use the same pot in a passive preamp or before a buffer (=normal circuit).

I'm normally no fan of passive attenuators but I've been pleasantly surprised by a 5kohm Penny & Giles pot that a customer of ours is using as preamp in their listening room. Sonically I can't fault it, except that the results vary with the attached power amp.

If you can wait out the summer the demo circuit will be published.

I'll wait patiently:)
as for hypex ucd hg, is passive good enough ? (NHT PRO)
shall I sell khozmo shunt attenuator ? is it possible to have transparency and not 'burn' too many $$$$ ?
the thing is I also need 3 inputs with source selector
and 2 outputs (1 for sub, switched on/off) within 1 box, and I can't afford pro high end like dangerous music or avocet ..:(
hence research in diy

regarding screening... my understanding (which can be wrong given the amount of knowledge I have about this EMI/RFI thing) is that what differentiates men from boys when it comes to SMPS is mostly radiated noise. or isn't it?

I'm normally no fan of passive attenuators but I've been pleasantly surprised by a 5kohm Penny & Giles pot that a customer of ours is using as preamp in their listening room. Sonically I can't fault it, except that the results vary with the attached power amp.
just out of curiosity... this puzzles me. what makes a good passive attenuator? I mean what differentiates good ones from bad ones? your reply implies they're not all born equal.

Man, 6moons... what can I say. I stopped reading after these lines:

Dude did you ever read the "Intelligent Chip" thing from Golden Sound?

Both 6moons and Positive Feedback review dorks got fooled by Golden Sound...

PATHETIC

What morons... they even created a logo that was almost identical to Nipper.

I was so discussed at PF I called RCA Victor over their stupid logo and reported it to their TM lawyer...

I noticed the logo changed about 3 months later... LOL

The reviews on the "Golden Sound" snake oil products.

goldensound

6moons industry featres: Golden Sound's Intelligent*Chip

6moons audio reviews: Golden Sound Ultra Tweeter

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/photoncannons/photoncannons.html <-- the two posts are coverups of the original GLOWING REVIEW (original review was yanked and replaced with their fancy C1/C2 error checking review to make them seem smart... ******* idiots...

ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC

PS: Sarajan actually wrote an apology piece for his idiocy and in it he blamed smoking good quality marijuana as his excuse for running around with it proclaiming it's magic. All of which has been removed from the site.

Last edited:
Where's my earlier reply!? OK, forget the asinine LED-based
preamps, the LED noise modulates the signal and is unacceptable for precision use. The best possible atten would use a switched shunt array of vishay H-series resistors and a great switch like a Shallco. This setup is about $4k retail, not including the buffer circuit it resides in. But discrete stepped ladders are the top. Ayre's best circuit is very elegant...

hmm... they didn't yank it...

auroville35

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue18/intelligentchip.htm

I shouldn't be so hard on the guy. He seems like a nice person and all and seems to have really good taste in clothing...

LOL

He's not an EE so... I guess he has an excuse... (didn't take physics 11 in high school bro? LOL)

But not this John Curl character.

Last edited:

Another question on this topic, if I may :
When the pot resistance approches zero, the gain does the same (which is the desired effect to mute the output). Doesn't one run into stability problems for the op amp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.