Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the mains filtering, there is filtering built in and I have been advised an additional filter is unnecessary however feedback from someone I know who tried adding a Schaffner filter to their UCD amps was that there was an improvement so for the sake of very little cost I am likely to include one.

Regarding the mains filtering, there is filtering built in and I have been advised an additional filter is unnecessary however feedback from someone I know who tried adding a Schaffner filter to their UCD amps was that there was an improvement so for the sake of very little cost I am likely to include one.

I was going to use one too, but then I bumped into this (old) post from Bruno, where he recommends against using such commercial filters.
I'll probably rely solely on the filtering of the SMPS.

Best practices / pending questions according to what I gathered:

1. do not use Shaffner or any other Y filter
  2. do install some EMI screening between SMPS and amp modules (many DIYers look to have set up some according to their pictures)
  3. do use a 255Ohms@100MHz ferrite clamps (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/42146-ucd400-q-29.html#post512556) around SMPS to amp cabling (close to the amp module), around speakers cables (really??), around mains to SMPS
  4. do twist cables but no idea if any better shielding could improve
  5. is a speakers protection circuit useful considering all built-on protection routines of the nCore amp module to avoid "plops" in speakers at switch on?
  6. Some of you seem to use a switch on the mains between IEC plug and SMPS, some use the nAmpOn Pin J9:3 and the SMPS even have its own pin for stand-by (Pin J1:1). Advantages / drawbacks of possible power-on layouts?

I've never investigated whether this can be the case or not, but an EE once told me that sometimes mains filters in series can resonate with disastrous effects.

Best practices / pending questions according to what I gathered:

1. do use a 255Ohms@100MHz ferrite clamps (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/42146-ucd400-q-29.html#post512556) around SMPS to amp cabling (close to the amp module), around speakers cables (really??), around mains to SMPS

I wonder if you can squeeze the molex connector through the ferrite ring. Disconnecting the molex is easy but re-connecting it is a different story without the right tools. It is easier to use a ferrite clamp for this.

What about the impedance's if the rings/clamps. Should it be 255Ohms@100MHz? What makes this so special? Can anyone explain this?

Status
Not open for further replies.