• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Days ago I retouched, again, the AV Marantz SR4500. Now, Music: 2.6 ms because I have more depth than before!

Once again, do you have any idea what constant delay means, and what impact it has on the sound? 1 ms of constant delay has exactly the same effect as sitting one foot (34 cm) further back from the speakers (except that physically moving changes room reflections, while delay doesn't).

sound

Maty, I really did not see much, if at all, regarding sound quality in your phase shift thread... Considering that humans are insensitive to any phase shift at high frequencies, and that loudspeakers are generally much more the culprit here, I have no concerns RE phase shift in class D amplifiers and consider the point moot, exceptions from a purely technical/engineering perspective (desire to attain "perfectly" engineered amplifiers).
My concern is more about how these amplifiers sound. I have heard NC-400, NC-500, and NC-1200 based amplifiers here in my own system, and the older ICEpower ASP-500 amplifiers. I find the ASP-500 to not offer the level of performance I desire, specifically in the high frequencies where those amps lack the last bit of transparency and extension (I use my DIY ASP-500 monos in my TV set up now). The Ncore amps, all sounded fantastic to me, with differences present between them, but no specific flaws. I have used NC-400 based amps for many years now, they replaced a very, very good Pass Labs amplifier, as I found the NC-400 to be superior. I have had one amplifier in my system which I preferred to the NC-400, and that was the Bricasti M-25 (retails for $18K). I have not heard the "super amps" of the world here (I have at audio shows), such as Soulution, etc. It is unlikely that I would be willing to spend the money for the Bricasti, as the difference between it and the NC-400 would not justify the cost differential in any case (that additional money could make a much, much bigger difference in sound quality if applied to loudspeakers!).
All amplifiers have flaws in terms of engineering ("perfection"), regardless of topology. What matters is for for the flaws to be reduced to the point of inaudibility. Mr Putzeys himself has many times explained that he does not work in class D for sound quality reasons, he works in class D because that topology saves energy and cost (no need for enormous expensive heat sinks and chassis for example), and then he sets his (considerable) engineering skills to the task of getting good sound out of the class D topology.
At this point, the best Class A/B or A amplifiers MAY eclipse the best Class D amplifiers in performance, but the difference in audible sound quality is so small in my experience (if at all), that it matters not to me. I can make much bigger gains in the sound quality of my system by using a class D amplifier and addressing loudspeakers, DACs, and sources. Even the NC-400 is so close to "perfection" in an audible sense that its performance is entirely satisfactory. In fact, paring a Ncore based amp with speakers such as those from Vivid Audio (Kaya series) has produced some of the best sound I have ever heard (and I work in high end audio and attend quite a few audio shows).
My NC-400 based amp is getting a little old, and it is probably time to think about either trying to re-cap it (and the SMPS) or replace it, so of course the Purifi modules have me very interested, and the reports of sound quality better than Ncore make me even more interested.
As for "natural" sound references, my GF is a performing musician (vocalist and multi instrumentalist), and I regularly get to hear both, her sing, and her recordings via class D amplifiers. I do not find any audible "problems" via Ncore in these kind of comparisons, vs. the class A/B amplifiers I have had here in my system.

lucpes: My experience with other Ncore amps is that any "clinical" sound will diminish after a couple of hundred hours of playback. I also found good vibration control to make the amp(s) sound richer, with more body, with no loss of detail. i used Herbies tall tenderfeet on my NC-400 amp to very good effect. I also use a Bamboo shelf under the amp. These amps have so much resolution that they seem to respond very well to small tweaks such as these.

Hypex nCore vs Class A amps | Page 6 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

by 6feet

Here is experience with the Ncore 500 mono blocks. I burned in the amplifier for nearly 300 hours with music and Burnin tones. Here is my verdict of what I hear from this amp. Please don't take my comments as an attack as this is not my intention. I wanted these amps to really be ready for prime time and I am disappointed.

The good
Dynamic
Gutsy
Solid bass
Silent, emits no self noise at speakers or amp
Good imaging

The not so good
Treble and bass seem disconnected most of the time from the midrange
No midrange bloom or emotional expression
Dark sounding contrary to a living presentation or the illusion of
Weird treble and or hard at times
Not a huge soundstage

Mostly sounds that the balance is bass heavy and propped up treble.

I am disappointed that it didn't outplay my class A/B amplifier that runs in class A for the first Watt as I was considering replacing my amplification with NCORE amps. Maybe in the future but not yet. YMMV.

Last edited:
They are the same deficiencies that comment on the NC400.

With low quality recordings, synthesized instrumentation and voices processed with Autotune surely will not be appreciated but with the kind of recordings that I usually listen to I am sure.

Tweeter and Hypex NCxxx is not a good idea. Only class D with woofer (or subwoofer), as KEF LS50W and others: tweeter with class AB. Or class A.

Last edited:
They are the same deficiencies that comment on the NC400.

With low quality recordings, synthesized instrumentation and voices processed with Autotune surely will not be appreciated but with the kind of recordings that I usually listen to I am sure.

Tweeter and Hypex NCxxx is not a good idea. Only class D with woofer (or subwoofer), as KEF LS50W and others: tweeter with class AB. Or class A.

If you say so, but I would love to hear what you base your opinion on. To me it sounds like the usual audiophile old wives tales and folklore. As your signature states, "Comment is free, but facts are sacred".

FYI,
My opinion is based on experience with Ncore, class A and A/B amps, good quality loudspeakers (SB acoustics Satori based) and, first of all, live sound listening experience.
Classical music most of the time.
Especially with string music, Ncore exhibits its flaws.
Bruno apparently realized the same, trying to improve treble reproduction with his Purifi class d.

My opinion is based on experience with Ncore, class A and A/B amps, good quality loudspeakers (SB acoustics Satori based) and, first of all, live sound listening experience.

Sighted listening?

Bruno apparently realized the same, trying to improve treble reproduction with his Purifi class d.

Not sure about that - Bruno has many times stated that he thinks the nCores are as good as the best class A/B amps. It is just that he discovered a way to make them even better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.