Hypex Linear PSU DC-error protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I went back to the LM317+TL431 circuit and looked at all the aspects I had modelled in the other thread but this time with a target of 15V. It's a case of balancing variables to try to optimise things. I finally settled on the circuit values shown in the attachment below. I've also pasted graphs of the modelled open loop gain and phase analysis, PSRR, transient response and output impedance.

The values would seem to provide ok results to each albeit not as good as the 5V circuit. I'm sure there might be a smarter/easier way to optimises the factors affecting the feedback loop - if someone can improve on this I would like to hear it. The genesis of the discussion in the other thread was Fig. 23 from the TL431 datasheet and the question "what happens if we shift the resistor to the output of the LM317?"

I've also included a zip file of everything that's needed to do this analysis.

I hope this helps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70685392/Electronics/LM317TL431%20latest/LM317TL431%2015%20volt.zip

Attachments

• Loop gain and phase margin.jpg
    Loop gain and phase margin.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 176
  • PSRR.jpg
    PSRR.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Transient.jpg
    Transient.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Output impedance.jpg
    Output impedance.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Which IRF540 are you planning to use? There seems to be a few on Mouser at quite varying prices. irf540 MOSFET | Mouser Do they need heatsinking?

Originally I was planning to use IRFB4115PBF

Then, doctordata suggested a better alternative FDP083N15A. I think I will use that. I haven't ordered those yet but will do that soon.

Heatsink should not be needed.. At least it should be adequate heatsinking by just to bolting it to the chassis..

Just pointed to this thread, while I think the central topic over I have an incidental question.

...I've multiple amp channels... with 83dB loop gain at 20kHz...

That is a very adventurous Loop Gain number.
You must have either conditional stability, pushed up the UnityLGFrequency a lot, or both.
What does the LG plot look like?
How have you implemented this?

Best wishes
David

Last edited:
Good news and Bad news

The boards are already on the way, I should get them within a week.

Hi Sami ,

Bad news first , I'm afraid the output pins on the VOM are reversed as I read in another thread , Not 100% sure , but check it out . Vishay's drawing of the chip is a little confusing to me .
No big deal , happens to the best , open up any TV , Amp or whatever piece of equipment and a good change to find some patch wires :(
Good news , painters finished today , so start programming and testing the chips tomorrow .

Keep you informed

Cheers ,

Rens

Attachments

• VOM1271.jpg
    VOM1271.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.