Hypex DSP module(s)

Hello,

I have a question related to DSP, however didn't want to create another thread just for a simple question. I'm looking for a DSP, the one which caught my eye is the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini – Thomann UK

However I dont have any idea how they work. As much as I understand connection scheme looks like this: Pc -> cable 3.5mm to 6.3mm -> DSP 4x4 -> 6.3mm to RCA -> Amplifier #1, #2, #3, #4 -> Speaker set #1, #2, #3, #4.

1. DSP has 4 inputs, but if I use one input from my computer, can I use 4 outputs or each output channel need separate input?
2. With 4 Amps I should be able to get 4 way crossover? And with 1 amp - 1 way crossover (As much as I understand Right and Left channel can be configured differently, but I assume it's not a good idea for example configure Right channel for a subwoofer(XO) and Left channel for a Full range driver(XO)).
3. What's the difference between balanced and unbalanced input?
4. Lets say I configure the DSP do I need to keep USB cable connected to the computer?
5. Other DSP have balanced/unbalanced input and output VRms values. This thing has something to do with the sound gain right? If my amp need a higher VRms input, I wont be able to get a full power out of it?

My main reason to use DSP is just for a crossover capabilities. I think it's conveinient to have adjustable high and low pass filters.

Last edited:
Hi

I had posted about glitches that I faced with Hypex DLCP a few months ago. Issues included volume control not changing the volume, "waiting for dlcp" on hitting sleep etc.
After much trouble shooting, I discovered that this is something to do with the SMPS400A180 (used to power UCD amps) that I had in my set up.

(SMPS400A180 and DLCP were colocated in 1 chassis, and both connected to chassis with metal spacers as per hypex recommendation)

Said SMPS seems to be faulty - with occasional issues where the sound pressure levels from speakers is sometimes too low with audible distortion.

DLCP has been working like a charm once I replaced the SMPS400A180 with another copy.

Posting this in case it benefits anyone: one wouldn't usually expect this sort of a dependency.

Greetings forum,

A few lay man questions if I may, please

I find my dlcp to sound very pleasant sometimes and not so, sometimes. As you know it is very hard to describe what is "not so pleasant" and hope that the other person will understand, so I won't even try.

I wanted to know what kind of signal sources you use upstream and whether you prefer sending Analogue in from a high quality dac upstream, or prefer sending SPDIF/AES.
I know there is no right/wrong here, but would appreciate if you could share what you found most satisfying.

Reason I ask is that it is very difficult to try things where I live and decide. If I can detect a pattern, I could then try that out and see if it works for me.

Thanks, and hoping this wont start a subjective/objective war.

I wanted to know what kind of signal sources you use upstream and whether you prefer sending Analogue in from a high quality dac upstream, or prefer sending SPDIF/AES.
I know there is no right/wrong here, but would appreciate if you could share what you found most satisfying.

Perhaps there is no right or wrong, but converting the digital signal to analog and back to digital again is definitely the more lossy way to do it.

I think it is another problem: the better your system is, you will hear better the mistakes and faults in recordings.

I realize that I should have been more specific.

You are right, I haven't compared the same song across different times (even if I wanted to do that, I wouldn't trust my ears to remember)

It is just this nagging feeling that something is not right. At other times, one is too busy listening to music! :)

But I am feel that I get this feeling (of something wrong) more often with Chromecast Audio Toslink in, vs Allo Digione SPDIF in.

Perhaps I should see a good psychiatrist?

On a change of topic, does the forum have any notes to share around settings in Roon that works best (or is supposed to) with DLCP?

Thanks