Hypex DSP module(s)

The digital circuits on the DLCP itself probably produce more EMF "pollution" than a RPi that is placed a short distance off...

Yes, the enclosure will have plenty of other 'computer'-type boards in it - DLCP, DLCP control, and a couple of switch mode supplies, but I guess the difference is that those are designed by Hypex to be good with audio, whereas the RPi isn't. But I can easily test it out and decide whether there's anything audible.

Interference issues aside, has anyone experimented with a hub on the USB input?

Yes, the enclosure will have plenty of other 'computer'-type boards in it - DLCP, DLCP control, and a couple of switch mode supplies, but I guess the difference is that those are designed by Hypex to be good with audio, whereas the RPi isn't. But I can easily test it out and decide whether there's anything audible.

They all have to pass the same EMF tests. The processor used by the RPi uses tecniques such as clock frequency spreading to minimize emissions (as it is used in mobile phones and other applications sensitive to EM noise).

My pack of 5 push buttons arrived this morning, so here's what I envisaged for the RPi control panel - a mirror image of the DLCP control button layout. The central button is missing for now as the buttons come in packs of 5, and for testing purposes the function of that button will be taken by the push button function of a rotary encoder that I'm experimenting with.

I ordered these initially to use for measuring purposes to design the DLCP face plate, but between ordering them and receiving them I began to play with controlling the RPi via push buttons, and now I quite like the idea of having a physical interface in addition to all the software control options. The button caps come in a variety of colours - I bought yellow just for something different, but I may go for orange as I'm planning to screen print a nice big colour version of the orange Hypex 'waveform' logo on the faceplate.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I know what you are getting at Julf. It's your usual vandetta and I mostly agree to it. But surly even you must admit that this is no snake-oil suggestion but rather a sound engineering precaution/optimisation given the aspect of trying to achieve high fidelity.

//

But surly even you must admit that this is no snake-oil suggestion but rather a sound engineering precaution/optimisation given the aspect of trying to achieve high fidelity.

Precaution, yes, optimisation no. Unnecessary compromises are not optimal. No prob if it doesn't cost anything to do, but if it (unnecessarily) causes you to have to go for a non-preferred connection method, then it is definitely suboptimal.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Made these yesterday. Meanwell RS15-5...

High level of HF can make electronics go bad which in turn effect the audible band.

//

Attachments

• MW RS15-15 load FFT.png
    MW RS15-15 load FFT.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 235
  • MW RS15-15 no-load FFT.png
    MW RS15-15 no-load FFT.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 236