Hypex DSP module(s)

We were all trying to understand if the DLCP or the UcDs were the major factor in the difference, so I appreciate your input on your experiences with the miniDSP 2x4 and UcDs and miniDSP 4x10 HD compared to your best solution.

Did some more simple tests (no measurement) this time with PureMusic XO > DAC: MOTU DAW and DSDse > Amps: NCore for lows UcD400 for highs all balanced > Speakers: Scanspeak Revelator setup that is the current studio monitors > test WAV/DSD samples from Ayre Acoustics Design Thoughts. With so many technical variables its hard to reach conclusions... but:
1) Upsampling to 192 kHz provides noticeable improvement. Upsampling further to 384khz with two mismatched DSD DAC did not seem to provide much more improvement and lots more complexity (stream drops/resets).
2) Assuming an upsampled stream, USB sounds better than others (did not try Thunderbolt or Ethernet).
3) DSD is fuller/louder/softer than 192 kHz PCM streams, but not necessarily better. It depends on the music which seems consistent with other content on the web.
4) In this setup computer XO/DSP is sounds better than board.

So the digital signal processing + stream + cables can make the Hypex Amps sound good or bad, so suspect the DLCP must have provided some of the good sound. But the stream is equally important - it needs to be maintained through to the amp.

How to get a 192>384 kHz switchable PCM or DSD stream through to the amps at a reasonable cost.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
More strange things. If I change a parameter and do Load DSP it seems like I get a highpass filter activated in right channel. The lowest bass get weak but say 100 Hz and upwards play fine. Only way to restore full bandwidth in R channel is a janitor reset (power on/off).

//

OK - user error needs to be admitted. Channel assignment not complete. This in combination with linkage made for strange results. Might be a bug still here. Don't know if my other issue also has disaperad - should be unrelated...

//

Upsampling to 192 kHz provides noticeable improvement.

Did you upsample in the DAC or did you upsample the source material?

DSD is fuller/louder/softer than 192 kHz PCM streams, but not necessarily better. It depends on the music which seems consistent with other content on the web.
It is important to remember that DSD material is often not exactly the same level as the same material in PCM, and we know that even 1 dB of level difference leads to perceived quality differences (even if the difference is too small to be perceived as a level difference).

It is important to remember that DSD material is often not exactly the same level as the same material in PCM, and we know that even 1 dB of level difference leads to perceived quality differences (even if the difference is too small to be perceived as a level difference).

Right. Did some more listening with SPL matched and I can't hear a difference. At this point I'm going to forget about DSD as most source is in PCM anyways. What got put down in the recording is far more important, thinking the wiki is right.

"When comparing a DSD and PCM recording of the same origin, the same number of channels and similar bandwidth/SNR, some still think that there are differences. A study conducted at the Erich-Thienhaus Institute in Detmold, Germany, seems to contradict this, concluding that in double-blind tests "hardly any of the subjects could make a reproducible distinction between the two encoding systems. Hence it may be concluded that no significant differences are audible. Listeners involved in this test noted their great difficulty in hearing any difference between the two formats."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

But some could?

Well with my setup and using SPL balanced samples from "World’s First Valid Comparison of PCM versus DSD" (Ayre Acoustics Design Thoughts) for six people: 1 preferred all PCM, 1 preferred all DSD, 4 said DSD was better for the classical and PCM was better for the vocals, all said there was not much difference and sometimes changed their answer back and forth.

Back to the DSP problem: my understanding is that it is not possible to 4-way cross-over a DSD stream without converting to PCM and then back to DSD - which is where the original problem started - DSP conversion allegedly reducing quality when converting. So might as well stick with PCM.

The only theoretical full DSD solution would be computer source cross-over and feed 8 of these http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/273474-best-dac-no-dac.html. But the one PC crossover software maker I checked with confirmed they cannot split DSD without converting to PCM.

So it's back to the original solution: cross-over and covert the PCM stream with as much quality as possible into an excellent analog handing section.

Last edited:
SirLoungeAlot;4409045Back to the DSP problem: my understanding is that it is not possible to 4-way cross-over a DSD stream without converting to PCM and then back to DSD[/quote said:
Indeed.

The only theoretical full DSD solution would be computer source cross-over and feed 8 of these http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/273474-best-dac-no-dac.html.
Yes, it is possible to do a primitive conversion of 1-bit delta-sigma (DSD) to analog simply by using a low-pass filter, but it is not the best way to do it. There are good reasons modern delta-sigma DACs are multibit converters.

But the one PC crossover software maker I checked with confirmed they cannot split DSD without converting to PCM.
Indeed, because it is not possible to do any sort of non-trivial DSP on DSD files without converting them to PCM (or an intermediate multibit format).

Update on the new Hypex HFD software;
- Written from the ground up in Delphi. Very stable and easier to implement new upgrades
- Easy to make a MAC OSX version
- Included with a speaker measuring function
- Two FIR implementations, one internal FIR calculating and one with an external FIR software

Within a few weeks we'll plan to have a BETA software avaialble

Months later and still no beta software available?