Hybrid mini monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all,

I enjoy my Quad ESL63 electrostatic speakers with peerless 10" SDS sealed subwoofers, with an active 4th order cross over at 100 Hz.

I am thinking about (not necessarily going to build soon) a mini monitor where the tweeter and midrange is handled by an electrostatic driver. While bass is handled by a small sealed moving coil driver.

In terms of sound I am far more interested in stereo imaging, and life like sounds of acoustic music, rather than low frequency extension.

Unlike my reference system, where the first priority is sound quality first and cost second, this project is about size first and cost second.

Any low frequency ESL is large, but since ESL speakers can reach lower than moving coil tweeters with a single driver, we can push the cross over lower than a normal 2 way speaker.

Since the ESL would not be the only factor in this design, I have started the thread you are reading for the mid-base moving coil driver and box. I am discussing electrostatic tweeters in this thread.

I am thinking that the main criteria are that the size is small while sound should be good from about 80Hz to the cross over of the electrostatic.

I am currently thinking around a 5" segmented ESL and a 5" mid bass driver. It seems so far a 500Hz cross over is as low as I can reasonably expect, from an easy to implement DIY ESL driver, and 1KHz is very easy.

From reading I have done I would like both drivers will provide linear performance at least an octave beyond the cross over frequency, what do people think about this?

What would be a good cross over frequency to the ESL tweeter / midrange? Is lower always better?

What do people think would make a good sealed bass moving coil driver, to complement the tweeter?

Would people suggest a shallow 1st order cross over for the cross over frequency tending to a 4th order an octave lower?

Please note this is very speculative and may or may not end up in the project being built.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.