Hybrid aperiodic / ML TQWT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm seeking to build an enclosure that gives the best bass response possible in a moderate size. From my studies so far I seem to be zeroing in on the mass loaded quarter length transmission line concept.

The unusual twist that I see with this is from Von Schweikert in which they claim to have the transmission line divided up into three cavities tuned differently. The speakers are also known for outstanding bass response and quality of bass.

I have build two sets of aperiodic speaker cabinets and love the fast transient bass quality and pitch definition. The only weakness is that they don't reach down as low as bass reflex and TL designs.

As I see it. The way Von Schweikert is building thier ML TQWT bass loading they are creating an aperiodic chamber around the drivers by using walls of breathable polyester batting so that the driver in essense sees an aperiodic load. The TL however responds on it's own. Seeing the aperiodic space around the driver as just some line dampening.

Apparently, two other areas of the TL are tuned differently. But except for the the aperiodic "soft" enclosure around the driver area this just sounds like using different TL dampening in different locations.

Nothing is really new. Only the combination of the factors being put together.

Is anyone out there interested in trying to do this as a DIY speaker loading. And in increasing the DIY knowledge base in this area.

I'm seeking to build an enclosure that gives the best bass response possible in a moderate size. From my studies so far I seem to be zeroing in on the mass loaded quarter length transmission line concept.

The unusual twist that I see with this is from Von Schweikert in which they claim to have the transmission line divided up into three cavities tuned differently. The speakers are also known for outstanding bass response and quality of bass.

I have build two sets of aperiodic speaker cabinets and love the fast transient bass quality and pitch definition. The only weakness is that they don't reach down as low as bass reflex and TL designs.

As I see it. The way Von Schweikert is building thier ML TQWT bass loading they are creating an aperiodic chamber around the drivers by using walls of breathable polyester batting so that the driver in essense sees an aperiodic load. The TL however responds on it's own. Seeing the aperiodic space around the driver as just some line dampening.

Apparently, two other areas of the TL are tuned differently. But except for the the aperiodic "soft" enclosure around the driver area this just sounds like using different TL dampening in different locations.

Nothing is really new. Only the combination of the factors being put together.

Is anyone out there interested in trying to do this as a DIY speaker loading. And in increasing the DIY knowledge base in this area.

Can you share a simple diagram of the Aperiodic ML TQWT to explain it better. I am planning to tweak my ML TQWT with a different driver and this concept looks interesting enough to give a shot.

Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.