Humble Beginnings:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the beginnings of my BA modular setup. Included pic is raw unfinished case for BA3B FE. There will be matching case with OPA1632 as well as Salas Shunt reg for each. I was going to power FE's with umbilical from BA output, but decided to change. Each monoblock poweramp will have its own standalone PSU with soft start diodes and 54000uF of caps. THis will be connected to main power amp through Speakon umbilical just like FE/Pre. In main power amp case, there will be another 36000uF of caps and output boards, nothing else. I am in the middle of trying IRF vs Renasas laterals. I may try the Fairchild as well. I will not use 3 output pairs because I just don't need the power and will instead heavily bias a single transistor pair or 2P and 2N per monoblock. Hope to have pics start to role in of different cases. I normally just build a partial enclosure like last pic (Jumas F5 version) and listen for couple of months. The boss said it was time to finish something, so the journey begins.

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 1,159
  • DSC_0032.JPG
    DSC_0032.JPG
    750.3 KB · Views: 1,144
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Fine Youngsters! Happy to see them! :D:D:D

When I modified F4 I choose three pairs, two pairs, one pair ..... Of course always changing bias to the same amount. And the sound difference is clearly to hear ....... One pair is on the very bright side, much details but less body only the Toshibas convinced me in the one pair configuration.
So two or three pairs are not bad......in my opinion. Three pairs of IRF can be a bit dark, three pairs of FQA sound brighter and have the best balance.

But of course what you need is totally dependend on the other players in the chain, speaker, cd- player ........:)

But exactly this advantage to match the complete chain to the sound I like is one of the nice aspects of DIY.

Thanks for the info Generg. I assumed based on Papa's various articles, including "Leavin Class A", that higher bias through one transistor would sound better than same bias through multiple. I guess i have just added another test. DIY never ends. I guess it is possible, that other parts need tweaking like Rs among other things. I am interested to see how the laterals do. I plan to only use .1Rs on them. Supposedly they don't need any if matched, but I have heard that just a little helps with sharing. Still liking the BA-3 FE?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
He,he BA-3 on f5 boards are in the basement, Aleph P 1.7 is playing at the moment, but.....

BBA3 is nearly done, two boards from the shop, to have balanced input. That is the reason the Aleph is again playing, my balanced CD-player output is much better than the unbalanced.

So on Monday I will hear BBA-3 and Aleph P 1.7 for some hours in balanced configuration......... Until my ears are golden......!

Yes Zen Mod I am privileged to hear all the variants longer ...... No more children in the house and retired and my wife studying at university, so there is much time for hearing sessions until exhaustion ........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.