Human Hearing.................

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not sure how this loss of hearing treble that comes with age works, if it rolls off like a filter or is a more sharp upper limit

Interesting point!
In my own case, there's a sharp cutoff - at one f the sound's clearly there, a few Hz higher, and it's inaudible...
BUT, f [cutoff] varies from day to day within about 1kHz (i.e. between about 15 700 and 16 700).
Perhaps an audiologist can tell us more.

On much the same topic, I once read a very accessible book on psychoacoustics, which was a revelation. I'll try to search out title / author for recommendation.

IIRC, the 400,000 "rule" was an observation by J. Gordon Holt, and was not intended to be an ironclad rule. The 640,000 was touted by a manufacturer whose system was 32-20,000. That was late "Golden Era" and tweeters (and other equipment, like cartridges) were soon to improve enough that they became less obvious and needed less bass to counterbalance any inappropriate prominence. With the better of today's smooth "sweet" tweeters, I'm not sure the rule has much relevance any more.

Curmudgeon said:
IIRC, the 400,000 "rule" was an observation by J. Gordon Holt, and was not intended to be an ironclad rule. The 640,000 was touted by a manufacturer whose system was 32-20,000. That was late "Golden Era" and tweeters (and other equipment, like cartridges) were soon to improve enough that they became less obvious and needed less bass to counterbalance any inappropriate prominence. With the better of today's smooth "sweet" tweeters, I'm not sure the rule has much relevance any more.

Quite agreeable!

I used a tone generator.
I can easily hear 19Khz at just 35db spl.
I can hear 20khz at quite a bit higher around 60db.
21khz is my absolute limit until i go completely deaf.
It really just seems like dropping sensitivity and since we listen to music higher than these levels i'd say high treble is very important.

Interestingly, i don't know if anyone else has detected this, but the very high treble past 16khz tickles your ears. Like 20khz even if i can't hear it i can "feel" it in my ears. Between 16-18khz the sensation is sharp and you can hear the sounds for like a quarter second after the sound has stopped.

BTW i'm only 16 and i carry earplugs with me where ever i go.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.