• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Hum Ho

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Much depends on local jurisdictions. The Public Utility in my end of the world does not want ground on their pole. The idea is to prevent their lineman from becoming a short circuit to ground. The Public Utility is not governed by the same building codes (electrical) as your home.
Regardless of what happens on the pole the typical local electrical code (most US codes are modeled from NFPA 70, or the National Electrical Code) requires a ground at the service entrance.
If there is a voltage difference between your plumbing in the floor and your neutral or safety ground there is a problem. That NEC we are talking about requires bonding connections between the ground, neutral, plumbing, steel structure and anything conductive to prevent you from becoming the short circuit to ground.
DT

How is having the neutral not grounded "at" the pole, but grounded "at" the meter pan or the panel any different, when the neutral is part of the service drop that originates at the transformer CT? If your utility is not required to ground the case of the tranny, that's a whole nuther subject.

We already had the home grounded.

Wired

Yup. Plumbing pipe needs to be grounded, according to my local inspectors.

You guys heard about the fella who traded his 40 year-old wife in for two twenty year-olds? Few weeks later he's back with his old wife. When asked why he reversed his previous decision, he said "I discovered I'm not wired for 220's."

He could have used an adapt-her, poor Guy!:eek:

How is having the neutral not grounded "at" the pole, but grounded "at" the meter pan or the panel any different, when the neutral is part of the service drop that originates at the transformer CT? If your utility is not required to ground the case of the tranny, that's a whole nuther subject.

We already had the home grounded.

I think the point you're trying to make is, don't assume, if you live in CA, that the neutral is grounded at the transformer pole making a good ground system on the resisdence redundant and unecessary. Better always inspect the quality of the residence grounding in CA because the utility company out there won't give you any backup.

I had to add to my previous post because editing was off.

Okay, I got it fixed. Whaddya think?

Attachments

• cord1290090947.jpg
    cord1290090947.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 44
Not To Worry

Okay, I got it fixed. Whaddya think?

Not to worry, Folks! That picture is of the power feed to a rig used to simulate laboratory sounds for that 60's recording of Bobby Boris Pickett's "Monster Mash"!:)

More upsetting was the reaction in the electric substation next-door when Rosinante turned the circuit breaker back on after his wiring job was completed!:eek:

Attachments

• ~ 500_kV_Switch1.jpg
    ~ 500_kV_Switch1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 46
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Not to worry, Folks! That picture is of the power feed to a rig used to simulate laboratory sounds for that 60's recording of Bobby Boris Pickett's "Monster Mash"!:)

More upsetting was the reaction in the electric substation next-door when Rosinante turned the circuit breaker back on after his wiring job was completed!:eek:

Ohh look is it a sheep or a dog.:D
The things people do just to make art!
I think the power connections are just about correct!
I know it's the monster in the cable waiting in Rosinante's amp for the chance to get out!
Forbidden Planet comes to mind! It's on U tube if you have never seen it!

Last edited:
Not A Socket Shield

You've used good safety technique by using a socket shield on that top outlet of the bottom duplex. Keep children out of where they don't belong.
Well done!

20to20, that's not a socket shield in there, it's actually a GE 1/4W neon nite lite. Not a very good picture, but here's one in my bench outlet.

You know, those outlets could all be wired different from each other. Rosinate can plug his amp into which ever outlet doesn't hum, or kill him!

Attachments

• GE neon nite lite wb med.jpg
    GE neon nite lite wb med.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hahaha!!!, I never dreamed this thread was going to be so much fun after all the issues and questions had been taken care of! Keep it up, Guys.:D

Well Free, I'm all out of material to use on Rosin, so I guess we could start next on who's hat would work best for a 30 inch woofer cone?

I forgot the smiley, I forgot the smiley!! And now I can't add it!

Last edited:
I Know!!!

Well Free, I'm all out of material to use on Rosin, so I guess we could start next on who's hat would work best for a 30 inch woofer cone?

I forgot the smiley, I forgot the smiley!! And now I can't add it!

I know!!! Let's burn a skunk, then mix his ashes with some plastic resins and make the world's first skunk-carbon fiber composite woofer cone. There!, a 30" woofer that stinks, but sounds great!:D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I handled some Pioneer HPM woofers in the late 70's that made me wonder. The flex lead to VC eyelets were insulated from the cone in HPM woofers!

My wife found a pair of 30+ yr old HPM60s down the street from our house the day before trash day - we picked them up, and damned if the things didn't still work. Passed them along to an audiophile friend who says they sound surprisingly good. (No surround rot, or bad caps in the X-O)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.