Huge voltage drop on PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
SjoerdSmits go back and read post number 2 and you will now understand why I asked the question ;)

Tony.

All the resistor across X3 and X4 is doing is acting as part of a CRC filter to reduce ripple slightly.

For testing you can just add a shorting link in place of X3 and another in place of X4.

Once you are happy it is working you can consider what value of resistor you would like to try in those positions.

The current I am referring to is the DC current drawn by the amplifiers from the secondary side of the supply.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi KatieandDad,

I measured all the components on both amps. They both measured OK so I got confused. I was expecting to find defective transistors at least. But all seems to be ok using the diode test..... I'm not saying that this test is 100% conclusive, but both the left and right amp measure exactly the same on all components.

So I browsed the internet and found this:

How to Measure DC Offset: 5 steps - wikiHow

Don't know for sure yet, but it would explain the shabby sound on only one channel. My speaker protection unit could have been cutting off the left amp while stil running the right amp. But if the DC offset is very high, that could result in crackling sound couln't it?

I'll try the methode described in that article tomorrow :) I'll let you know how it turnes out.

Kind regards,
Sjoerd Smits

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hi There again!

I have a strange problem. It seems that my power supply is having trouble but I can't seem to find what it is. here's what happened:

I accidently swapped pos and neg of the amplifiers. This resulted in a "boom" ofcourse. So I replaced the amps and the diodes on the PSU.

Somehow the new amps do not work. I measured 10VAC on the secondary side of the PSU and the expected 35VCD on the same side. How is this possible? And can this be the reason the amps will not work?

Please help! I'm going out of my mind :)

Kind regards, Sjoerd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.