Huge 2-way with 18" woofer and 2" exit compression driver?

Hi,

a reality check: going for big CD and woofer compromises the very top end so it seems backwards to me trying to enhance bass performance by cost of treble performance. I'd use 1" driver with smaller than18" woofer, and then and huge subs if desire for bass. Two way with 18" and 2" is an idea that is cool but doesnt perform as well as say 1" with 15" or 12" woofer. The compromised treble is almost impossible to fix with additional transducers or magic tricks, but compromised bass is just matter of adding enough subwoofers. Subs add bass performance without sacrificing the treble.

Please do two way with 2" and 18" if it makes you happy, life is short so pursue the dreams :)

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
2x15" sealed, ATH-CE360-0 1", 800/100Hz, 2,5way?

//

Attachments

• 7.png
    7.png
    352.6 KB · Views: 305
My experience: I had a 2way, 2" Radian 746neo in a 2380 clone horn, and a 18FH500 in open baffle or sealed box. I did not like the 150-600hz region. Now I have a 12pe32 in sealed box for that region and it sounds great..

Hi @arcgotic,

What didn't you like about the 150-600Hz region of the 18FH500?

Wonder if there are any other 18" drivers that may perform better in this region?

Thanks

DM :)

Hi darkmatter,

I have the 18FH500 and the bms 18n862 which handles 150-600Hz nicer.
But personally, i wouldn't use any 18" up that high.
(150Hz is my drop dead, don't go beyond point, with 100Hz being much better.)

I agree with tmuikki above.
Besides, an 18" sub very often needs a different room placement than the main speaker.

Huge 3-way with 18" woofer, 10" or 12" midrange, and 1" exit compression driver, is the proven design with the highest sound quality.

I am thinking about designing a big three way what are your thoughts on drivers?

I have been toying about using the BMS 18N862 18" bass, the 12" 12P80NDV2 upper bass/mid and either the Beyma TPL150H or the 18 Sound NSD1095N 1" compression unit with a Beyma TD164/194 horn flare?

DM :)

is a 15, 10 or 8, 1 a good compromise without building refrigerator sized cabinets? Do you have any pointer to speaker plans for this kind of design?
Some of my first HE domestic designs were modifications of my 3 way small PA speakers from the era well before a plastic 15/1 on a stick (maybe 97ish). Initially JBL2226, 2123 and Beyma CP380M on large cast aluminium radial horn. Later there were a number of variants on this theme with a variety of drivers. The last was a similar build to the first but AE TD15X, TD10M and the Beymas on QSC WGs. These were used as surrounds but were a bit harsh in the narrow room (too close) and the MF/HF replaced with Faital coaxes. All were active as I seldom do passives any more. Before you dismiss the concept because I built them as surrounds, all that I've ever built I would use as a stereo pair as well; just the AEs in each speaker are $900 new.

I'm nutting out what I want to replace these with at the moment as my new room is large, cathedral ceilinged and open plan, about 50% of the whole house so directivity is less of an issue. The new versions look like being 2226H/2118H and Celestion CDs on JBL338800/Dayton H6512 WGs, probably active again as I have the xovers and amps anyway and own the drivers.

None of these were refrigerator sized unless you count bar fridges, but the form factor was taller and thinner even if the volume as about the same. All had the 15 in about 60L net, the 10s in maybe 15l net but that included the HF/WG too. Something like 45cm x 30 x 110 wdh. I don't generally draw up detailed plans as I don't need them to build, but none were much more than a very well braced rectangular box or in the case of the AE version, 3 boxes per speaker a la the recent Focals (see attachment).

Anyway, the point of the long ramble is that it's a very viable concept for hifi, small PA and even my next bass guitar rig will be similar but 2 enclosure to make it easier to move.

The Faital 15PR400 seems to be popular and was used in the OSMC project, There's a recent thread about 10" pro midbasses worth reading for the 10 and the Celestion 9040 horn is good and inexpensive. Plenty of good CDs to choose from, but no specific paint by numbers design from me I'm afraid.

PS: Not a 3 way, but there is the recent 2 way Asathor build that looks good - check the link at the bottom of post 1 and goolag translate does a good job of it. I've built some like these and hear a really excellent similar design with AE TD15M and DE250 on the QSC WG a while back. This is a simpler design and well worth investigating as it's complete incl xovers and enclosure designs.

Attachments

• Focal Scalia Evo III.jpg
    Focal Scalia Evo III.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 40
Hi Brett,

why do you consider the JBL 2226 instead of the TD-15X?

Kindest regards,

M
In the new surrounds? Because I have other projects I'd like to use them (TD15X) in and really, they're too good a driver for just surrounds; plus I have a lot of 2225/6 laying around. The 15X were initially used there because I had them and felt they were better used than sitting in shipping boxes on the shelf. Even in the JBL variant they're still a larger more capable speaker than most people use for 2ch.
I know what I'm like too; for each build there are 20+ designs in the book that never make it that far so until sawdust is made, who knows what will end up in the room? Though after these are done, I think I'd rather make guitars/basses.