HT without a HT receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Vivek: I think there is a way actually. By building a high-power preamp powersupply instead of using a normal smps supply the interference with other components is kept to a minimum. At the same time it's totally silent, so with a me-6000 itx board (which doesn't have a fan) the only thing in the computer moving and sounding is the hdd and dvd which can be silenced very well.

I'll have my second shot at making my pcb's for a powersupply this weekend so sometime next week you'll probably know if it works.

AndersZ

SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

If this is the same thing more or less than the first Audigy 2, then there's a down conversion to 44.1kHz, then back up for anything with the larger sampling rate. If you're going to do a HTPC sound card, then go with the M-Audio Revolution.

If you don't want to use a HTPC (can be expensive), and you're set on a seperate DD/DTS decoder, I would stay away from any computer solutions. They are expensive and don't have the greatest options, especially for the performance.

If this moves away from a computer project, I'd like to jump in and help out. I was thinking about something similar in the past and would always like some help from others.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tiroth said:
I've been using a Technics SH-AC300 processor to do volume control and pre-outs; I then use external active crossovers and amps. These units can be had in the U.S. as cheaply as US$50 used and are actually of rather high quality, if not exactly hi-fi. I have some info on my website. There is also the more expenive 500d version which supports DTS.

I have one of the SH-AC500s. It is a pretty nice unit and ameniable to tweakage (althou i haven't taken the time to do mine). The 500 sold new in Canada for $>1000 (at least according to the receipt that came along with the used one i picked up for a lot less)

dave

HT without a receiver?

Coming back to the original question, can it be done and why would anyone do it.

I've been doing it for a year with my sony 755v which has DD5.1 and DTS on-board decoding as well as SACD. I already had two stereo power amplifiers and I ran out and bought a third. I had previously been running my old cd player through the CD bypass feature on my pre-amp so I was useed to not introducing any tone controls into my flat speakers.

The sony allows you to individually balance each channel.

The only problem was how to control the volume of all 5 .1 channels at once.

Having spent some time in a couple of recording studios 30 years ago, I remember that music was often monitored at the same volume, meaning the equipment was set at a fixed volume because that corresponded to 0 db on the tape. If the sound level in the control room was low, it meant you had under recorded on the tape and had less dynamic range available.

Over the years I got use to playing my equipment always at the same fixed volume level.

Today I notice that DVDs with DTS encoded soundtracks often generate a higher output voltage at the RCA jacks of the NS755V than DD5.1. Why I don't know. But it would be nice to be able to knock down all the channels by about 3db when DTS is on.

To do this as cheaply as possible, I will eventually consider a high quality 6 pole single throw minature relay which would introduce a resistor in parallel with each of the 6 muting transistors located downstream of the 6 op-amps.

A simple toggle switch would then be required to activate this direct currect relay.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.