Howard's FF85wKeN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi Chris

Howard, you may remember seeing/hearing the faceted enclosures at Dave's place in August. This was 85WK in a tapered MLTL(?), passive LLXO at 240Hz, to 2 opposing pairs per enclosure of Peerless 830870 midbass. I've been test driving those over the past few weekends, and it's quite amazing how much LF energy 4 of those little Peerless per side can deliver - within sane limits - at least enough in my room to rattle some of the loose ornaments. No doubt a much simpler configuration would work quite well for the bottom.

What type of cabinet design do the Peerless 830870 midbass operate in? An MLTL also?

What does FAST stand for?

It has a couple of definitions, one being the daft 'full range and subwoofer technology.' Where the 'technology' comes in of course is mysterious. 'Full range assisted' is a (marginally) better interpretation. Alternatively, you could just call it, as they always used to be called, 'a two way speaker.' :rolleyes: ;) It's one of the classic 2-way types of a large mid-tweet coupled to bass units that was relatively popular until ~the early '60s. Can work very well, like the examples above.

Last edited:
It has a couple of definitions, one being the daft 'full range and subwoofer technology.' Where the 'technology' comes in of course is mysterious. 'Full range assisted' is a (marginally) better interpretation. Alternatively, you could just call it, as they always used to be called, 'a two way speaker.' It's one of the classic 2-way types of a large mid-tweet coupled to bass units that was relatively popular until ~the early '60s. Can work very well, like the examples above.

And 2.1 systems with a lowish x-over point would be in a different category I guess? Because the woofer is separate and there is only one?

xrk971,

I have been thinking along similar lines. tuxedocivic was at DIYFEST with a minidsp that had 4 on-board amp channels and a computer programmable active crossover that retains it's settings when detached from the computer. Can easily hold it in one hand and it sounded great to my quick-listen on unfamiliar speakers.

I have a minidsp also, but that was Kyle. His has the miniamp as well I think. The minidsp is a great way to do this.

Presumably, since they rarely seem to appear under that term. It does need to be very low though to avoid obvious localisation issues.

What is low enough?

A full range that is larger than the 85wk would probably be best for a 2.1, unless it is for near field/small room listening only. An 85wk dipole might be gutsy enough for louder listening, but then I suppose that would get really fussy about placement.

How much imaging precision is lost with stacked (2 per side) front facing FF85wk's?

One of the advantages I like about the 2.1, as long as there is a high pass filter on the full range satellites, is that it can play with less distortion at higher SPL than the same full range drivers can when unaided.

One of the advantages I like about the 2.1, as long as there is a high pass filter on the full range satellites, is that it can play with less distortion at higher SPL than the same full range drivers can when unaided.

This is how I do it. My HT rig is Alpair 7.3's as mains and a Peerless 850146 (10" BR) in the front right corner. My XO is 165Hz, chosen to avoid a room suck-out. (The rears are Fostex FE167E's up-firing in the back corners.) While the XO is technically too high, I haven't found localization to be an issue. In pop music, the bass guitar is typically on the left, so that might be an issue with certain mixes, but classical music usually has the basses on the right. Works out fine.

Bob

I hooked up a pair in my living room tonight with that little 8" sub from the Fest. They certainly need the woofer support. I wouldn't go without. Maybe on a desktop if you don't care about bass. I do think they would be best suited to a high XO above 200hz. But a lower 100hz would probably be just fine also. I ran them full range and just let the sub fill in. But it didnt take much and they started to sound congested. So the high pass would certainly help. A pair of sealed EL70s normally sit in this location with that sub.

I hope that helps.

that'd be the microFonken SET or such
second pair from the right on the stack on the table

366523d1376865783-10th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2013-img_2160.jpg

- the Walnut pair reside at my desk at home

Bernie does the tasty work in solids, I hack them out of plywood and veneer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.