How to use a subwoofer with a 2-channel amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I mean, I know what a capacitor and resistor and diode are. Now that you've cleaned up the diagram and showed which parts are actually tube amp and which aren't I think I can muddle through it.

But I don't really *understand* it. There look to be four different variations in that final diagram.... and I don't understand the difference between them, or why I'd use one over the other.

Charles.

Charles,

I would consider myself an advanced "noob", not much higher in the DIY ranks then yourself. Here is my interpretation of his schematic based on my 4 years of casual observation and lack of any real "study" on these subjects......

The middle part of the page shows two different buffered "virtual ground" circuits that can be powered from the ~8v heater supply.

One (Alt 1) is a +/-4v "dual" supply that can be used with the buffer circuit in the bottom left (the one I sent, like it is now).

The other supply (Alt 2) is a single 8v supply that can be used with the modified buffer circuit shown to the bottom right. The main disadvantage of the "Alt 2" setup is that there MUST be input and output capacitors used with the buffer to block the DC bias that is created when using a single supply.

See, in four years time you too could be a noob who almost sounds like they know what they are doing.:clown:

Still learning

theAnonymous1 said:
I knew I could do it, I was just feeling generous. I'm still a noob though.;)

If all else fails and you would rather have a stand alone supply, let me know. I have plenty of parts to make one of those too. Maybe you could even fit it in the amp chassis.

Could you draw a wiring diagram showing how the buffer and sub are wired to a two channel amp please.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.