how to unmute LM3886 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, do NOT build that Mick Feuerbacher thing! That is a prime example of an amp that is incomplete and prone to problems that could lead to much dissapointment, like ruined speakers. I always recommend reading and following the details in the data sheet paying close attention to the components on the schematic listed as "optional", they are not optional, except for very specific cases where it is known for sure how the amp will be used, otherwise all of those components should be included so the amp will be stable under all conditions.

Mike

check your +ve supply voltage to Centre tap and -ve supply voltage to centre tap and -ve to +ve voltage.
check the voltage on pin 8 to centre tap.

Add a Zin resistor to allow the input offset current a route to escape. Otherwise you will cripple the opamp/chipamp if the input is DC blocked.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Add a Zin resistor to allow the input offset current a route to escape. Otherwise you will cripple the opamp/chipamp if the input is DC blocked.

...try with resistor to gnd and another source.

Once again, does the non-inverting (+)input have a dc-ground referance connection somehow? If there isn't a DC path for the input bias currents to follow, no, it won't work.

You need a resistor from pin 10 (Vin+) to ground

This is why we want pictures, could have avoided all the nonsense over PM.

What is the DC reading on the output?

Once again, does the non-inverting (+)input have a dc-ground referance connection somehow? If there isn't a DC path for the input bias currents to follow, no, it won't work.

Mike

so are u saying if i feed input directly from headphone jack to pin 10, it wont work and i have to attach 1k series with 20k parallel to gnd for reference?

(...bcoz lately, i ve skipped 1k on input+).

so are u saying if i feed input directly from headphone jack to pin 10, it wont work and i have to attach 1k series with 20k parallel to gnd for reference?
Yes, most (might as well assume all) opamp inputs (both the inverting and non-inverting) need a DC path to a low resistance node. A signal source may or may not provide that path for you, so you should include one yourself to be sure. The 1k resistor in series with the non-inverting input is usually there to limit current for reducing the turn-on and turn-off thumps and noises, so isn't really necessary for proper operation.

Mike

Joined 2002
Paid Member
San,
there are pics in posts 11 & 13.

Sorry, should have been clearer - the OP has been on PMs with me for a month now and has stubbornly refused to every request to provide pictures and a schematic, even after me saying that it was not possible to remotely troubleshoot without a schematic.

It was once we saw the pics that things became clear to me :)

It wasn't possible to help him at one point without seeing this, and when I told him to open a thread, he assumed it was because I was being difficult, and even messaged me something about the tone. I chose to ignore that. I can't help those who will not help me help them :S

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
18.1-0-18.6v dc, when not connected to ic.
and when connected, it drops around 0.6v on both rails.

I'm fairly sure your chips have internally combusted, if they are short-circuiting the supply voltage.

Please provide DC reading on output pin (speaker output, not supply voltage). You may have a voltage close to rail voltage here.

As Michael said, if you do not provide a DC 0V reference the chip uses the negative supply rail as the reference. This results in an initial offset of close to one supply rail (in your case, 18V) on the output, and when you connect a speaker the entire voltage appears on the speaker voice coil. This may or may not destroy your voice coil, but will burn a chip in the matter of half a second.

If you have not provided the Rin to ground you did not follow the schematic 'exactly', as you told me you had. It is important to follow exact components down to the last detail unless you understand clearly the implications of removing them.

Sad as it sounds, you will probably need new chips.

Sorry, should have been clearer - the OP has been on PMs with me for a month now and has stubbornly refused to every request to provide pictures and a schematic, even after me saying that it was not possible to remotely troubleshoot without a schematic.

It was once we saw the pics that things became clear to me :)

It wasn't possible to help him at one point without seeing this, and when I told him to open a thread, he assumed it was because I was being difficult, and even messaged me something about the tone. I chose to ignore that. I can't help those who will not help me help them :S

sorry sir! Lack of verbal communication may have been responsible for projecting me in a bad way.

I admit that today and even that day i meant no offence to you.

Well, a month ago, i purchased another ic from nagpur and made similar connections as in datasheet, only omitting the potentiometer. And VOLA... its worked fine.
The only logical conclusion we can reach is that the shop you mentioned in calcutta is selling duplicate/damaged ics.

BTW, sadly i m off this project due to work bt will continue 2 or 3 months later.

Thanks for all of your co-operation till now. Hopefully I will catch you later.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.