How to test a current regulator diode...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The diode test puts a voltage with a high impedance on the DUT, and then shows the DUT voltage on the meter.
To conduct current, the DUT must have a voltage above its turn-on voltage.
For a silicon diode this is about 0.6V.
So if your current source turns on with the voltage that the meter puts out, you will read a non-zero value.
The 'reverse' behaviour of the current diode should be in its data sheet (you DID read the data sheet, didn't you?).

jan didden

stellavox ~ My DMM unfortunately doesn't have a mA position. But your idea does sound like a good idea.

janneman ~ In other words... if I'm getting a reading from my diode test on my DMM then the device is possibly working. I read the datasheet and I couldn't discern what the behavior of the device should be based on my reading. I did notice that there is "reverse current" under the Ratings category. It reads 50mA. There is no voltage spec. I have very basic knowledge, but want to learn. I did buy a new part so perhaps I'll figure out what readings are normal for this CRD.

stellavox ~ My DMM unfortunately doesn't have a mA position. But your idea does sound like a good idea.

janneman ~ In other words... if I'm getting a reading from my diode test on my DMM then the device is possibly working. I read the datasheet and I couldn't discern what the behavior of the device should be based on my reading. I did notice that there is "reverse current" under the Ratings category. It reads 50mA. There is no voltage spec. I have very basic knowledge, but want to learn. I did buy a new part so perhaps I'll figure out what readings are normal for this CRD.

A DMM without DC current ???? Even the $5 Wallmart cheapies can read current.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm sure a 1 ohm resistor doesn't work very well.

In the ohms law equation, put in the nominal value of the current diode, like 5mA (as example), for 'I'. Your DMM will comfortably measure, say, 5V, so put that in for 'V'. You want a series resistor that drops around 5V with a 5mA current.
What resistor would that be?

jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.