• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to select a good Hifi 12AX7 tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, guys!
I heard a good hifi 12ax7, must pass the following test
IP Emission
GM
H-K Leakage
Gas
Noise
have any other item?
The parameters for each item what conditions must be met?

Thanks!

Most of those are such features that the manufacturers do not even specify/present to users.

For me it is diffucult to think what I could benefit for such information.
Typical published specifications are more than sufficient.

Hi guys!
Please comment on this tube ecc83, since many use it.:rolleyes:
thank you!

Attachments

• ecc83JJ.jpg
    ecc83JJ.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 493
  • Ecc81.jpg
    Ecc81.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
SY likes the JJ as an economical and good performer. (I do too, but think they are somewhat short lived from direct personal experience) I think at a certain point this discussion becomes academic, there is nothing like direct experience as opposed to hearsay and opinion. Just go out and buy some, look for bargains at radio shows, antique shows, flea markets, ham fests and online.

Grab:

5751 (near equivalent)
E83CC
ECC83
12AX7
12AX7A
12AX7WA

Shop carefully and at least some can be had for little money. Buy reasonably priced modern production as well as anything vintage that catches your eye.

My best recent score was a quartet of early 1960s vintage Telefunken EL84 and three Telefunken smooth plate ECC83 pulled from an abandoned stereo console down the street from my house. All tested as new.. FREE!

Because the company is run by shady persons. And because they need to keep up sales or they go out of business.

Remember an EL34 would have cost something like 100 modern euros back in the 60s

Anyway watering of type designations is not something new.
For instance Tungsgram produced alot of tubes thay had a T before the name E.G. TAL4

V4lve.

Still, they produce pretty darn good tubes, especially the small-signal types. I've had issues (short life, build quality) with their octal types, but IMHO their 7- and 9-pin types are Things of Beauty. I'm especially fond of their 12AX7 with the spiral heater. Letters and designators notwithstanding, these are great tubes at a good price.

many thanks!
My mean is not going to compare which brand is good or not, I'm just wish to select good tubes from hundreds of tubes. So, my concern is these values ​​must be controlled to what extent?
IP Emission
GM
H-K Leakage
Gas
Noise

Also, I think a good tube requires a good sound quality, also need to have a long life and good price.

That page is about testing for faulty ones (worn out or badly made). It won't tell you about sound, but no ordinary test will tell you about sound. A good circuit will work well with almost any non-faulty valve - with the exception of noise and microphony. A bad circuit may need valves with a particular type of characteristic - perhaps similar to the ones used when the circuit was 'designed'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.