how to resolder tripath chip in T-amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
back of the board. there is a white cable wich i can't see in TNT audio description of the reboxing procedure

Attachments

• 20070922 board down c.jpg
    20070922 board down c.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 174
:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

It indeed looks like the chip got so hot is melted the solder and fell off. If this is the case there was probably a catastrophic failure. The chip is most likely dead.

It doesn't hurt to try and put it back. At the very least it will hone your soldering skills. I wouldn't keep your hopes up in regards to it actually working again though.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
There's no way the TA2024 could get so hot that it would melt that much solder and cause the chip to fall off. The chip would fry way before that would happen, and the power traces on the board couldn't support that much current before blowing like a fuse anyway. It looks more like it was a manufacturing defect and the chip was never properly soldered.

I have a 41HZ Amp 3 that I ran for 2 years with no problems until one day whilst upgrading the on board smoothing caps it became intermittant, eventually stopping working on one channel.

Fearing a failed chip and knowing I had nothing to lose I removed it from the case and examined the chip closely and to my suprise was able to peel the chip legs off the board one by one!
TThat same chip was resoldered and it's still going now, what caused failure of the soldered joints I'm not totally sure, theory is that it was caused by the spray used to clean flux from the board.

So, go on, resolder the chip, it was probobly never soldered on right in the first place.

BWRX said:
There's no way the TA2024 could get so hot that it would melt that much solder and cause the chip to fall off. The chip would fry way before that would happen, and the power traces on the board couldn't support that much current before blowing like a fuse anyway. It looks more like it was a manufacturing defect and the chip was never properly soldered.

x2

I had to touch up mine to IPC specs, but I find it hard for it to fall off with solder in the leads and heatsink on the 2 sides of the chip.

Oh, use some flux for easier soldering of the leads !

If the solder could not have melted due to malfunction (probably because of wrong polarity in power transformer), then why was there a solder spike that wouldn't let placing the chip on the board?

I had to remove quite a lot of solder from the board before being able to place the chip legs on their place on the board.

In the end though, i wasn't able to solder the chip again.

I tried the "Flood all pins with solder and then use your wick to remove excess between pins" method but I was unable to remove a single droplet of solder between pins.

Maybe sthere was something wrong with the 3 mm desoldering wick I bought. It seemed to have less capilarity effect than the chip legs. It had worked fine to desolder speaker connections and remove solder on board, but i guess only because of the help of gravity. Placing the solder tip over wick over joint -as shown in tangensoft tutorials-would not remove any solder at all, even warming the joint in advance.

Exasperated after many -many- tries, I tried to help with a cutter and ended damaging one or two circuit board tips.

Next time I'll try something easier. And not before desoldering and soldering again the entire board of this failed t-amp for some practice

Thank you all anyway, your support has been fabulous

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.