How to measure frequency response with PC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I recently finished my first pair of DIY speakers, but I think I'm expiriencing some in-room resonances in the lower frequencies. I'd like to measure the frequency response using my PC and change the active filter to compensate.
This question has probably been asked several times before, but searching the forum for an our or two was not very helpful.

My PC has an onboard soundcard with a microphone connection. What microphone shoul I use and what software is to be recommended? And how should it al be set up? Any other things to keep in mind?
Any tips on frequency measurement are welcome!!

Hope you guys can answer my questions!!

Kind regards, Emiel

You need a measurement mic and a mic preamp. The measurement mic will need a power source which is provided by the mic preamp. Your sound card won't have this.

A popular mic is Behringer's ECM8000. Any basic mic preamp with phantom power will do.

Next you need software.
Something basic would be TrueRTA $70-100. It can show you the most obvious problems you might be having and is easy to use.

Something more advanced would be:
- SpeakerWorkshop (free)
- SoundEasy
- Lspcad
- Clio
- Laud
- others that I'm sure I missed.

Aside from SpeakerWorkshop, the above start around $200 and go up from there. Essentially, they are for designing and measuring loudspeakers.

If you can handle SpeakerWorkshop's learning curve, it's definitely the most cost effective route.

If you had calibration data for that mic you could probably use it for some things but you really want to use a mic that is designed for measuring frequency response.

You can build one for not a lot of money using a Panasonic capsule. Linkwitz details how to use the Panasonic capsule and even modify it for better performance. That would be the budget method but more time consuming.

Or you can go the Behringer ECM8000 route which retails for 58 euro in your neck of the woods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.