How to Make a New Wave Biradial Horn

Which driver do you intend to use?
The Sica drivers feature either a bullet shaped (the smaller ones), or radial slotted phase plugs > similar to Faital Pro drivers.
Something to take into account, I would think.

It is mainly for curiosity and measurements because this horn is very, very cheap. The build quality is simply atrocious and i will never mount it on a loudspeaker cabinet since the surfaces in contact with the wood are not flat at all and the entry of the throat had been massacred with a cutter.
Simply unusable... but ultra cheap :D

Edit : the pocket knife modified entry measure more than Ø28mm on a horn and Ø24mm on the other :faint:

Last edited:
This mutilation of the throats was your own feat, I suppose ? :D

Mine are quite good actually, especially considering the price. Much better than the ultra thin ABS Pyle PH714, McGee HL 1018, DAP HP 4 and Karma PT 208 horns. Don't have them laying around unfortunately (these are in storage) to post images.

I'd rather prefered to do it by myself, since i'm one of the rare people who are graduated to make mecanical parts with abrasive hand tools.
I've got a recognized diploma and valuables professionnal experiences in aeronautics, it would be a intense pleasure for me to show my skills.
This massacre seems to be executed by a drunkman with a chainsaw and there is too much damages to repair it.

Metal casted horns produced by high quality brands will be my future choice, but my 5€ Fane horns are very well molded, the problem is not the price tag IMHO... no the real problem is the COMPETENCE :clown:

Last edited:
the problem is not the price tag IMHO... no the real problem is the COMPETENCE :clown:
7mm of curvature on the horn straight lines (or supposed to be), i can't deform it to flat even with all my body force, even with a thick joint it will never be air tight.
It also feel some waves in the horn profile, there is so many defects that simply impossible to list them since i would be ridiculously long.

That's unfortunate and unacceptable, maybe yours are from a different manufacturer.

These are supposed to be very good, expensive though:

Attachments

• Limmer 021.png
    Limmer 021.png
    273.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Limmer 021_1.png
    Limmer 021_1.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Limmer 021_2.png
    Limmer 021_2.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
That's unfortunate and unacceptable, maybe yours are from a different manufacturer.

The manufacturer don't respond to my mails because he is probably thinking that the quality is "good enough" for a PA application.
It seems to be a gobal POV in the whole PA world, i don't really like it and this is also why i dont buy ready made PA stuff.
Nothing will ever change on this planet (and i don't care)... that's why i've choosen to DIY my horns.

Or these if you want a "true horn". Cut off = 800 Hz (around €30):

Thank for you searching effort, but i've spend more than 30% of the total cost of what i've bought to PA manufacturers in exchange shipping fees, and i must make clean photos each time.
I'm more than exhausted, really.

The manufacturer don't respond to my mails because he is probably thinking that the quality is "good enough" for a PA application.
It seems to be a gobal POV in the whole PA world, i don't really like it and this is also why i dont buy ready made PA stuff.
Nothing will ever change on this planet (and i don't care)... that's why i've choosen to DIY my horns.

It's a fact of life and common, even with "supposed to be A-brands" and not only in the world of audio related products.

Are you planning to build your horns from wood/mdf or other materials?

Last edited:
It's a fact of life and common, even with "supposed to be A-brands" and not only in the world of audio related products.

Are you planning to build your horns from wood/mdf or other materials?

Paper tractrix horns, i've build a 8 petals lecleach horn for fun (i was at bed with a flu) and plunge it into a liquid hot paraffin bath (it warmed my bedroom all evening).
It is too big for me but it gives me a on axis gain of 6dB compartively to my other biradial mantaray horn (and 2dB comparatively to the sica horn).
Moreover the damped paper is a fantastic light and beautiful material.

Last edited:
Similar to this?
In general, I like many things of (round) tractrix > very little diffraction, nice loading etc., but cannot stand the beaming and subsequently very small sweet spot.

Yes, but whitout the odd blue lights, the shiny chrome ring and probably with a more elaborated strucural paper pattern tangle and a diferent paper quality, and finally also a damping thick deposit on the outside.
After many tests with the mantaray radial horns, i must admit that in my very small room the imaging seems blurred by the reflexions and the covering angle of the round tractrix is enough to cover the same sweet spot size.
Moreover it reduce a lot the lateral early feflexion as you can see.

Tomorrow, it is late in France, i've also tested them in the vertical position.
Reflexions are at their worst, and the imaging is catastophic, it had be partially cured by a bit of toe-in.
These loudspeakers were probably designed for very high cieling rooms (professionnal line)... i guess :D
Hopefully some more tinkering will help with some of the issues.