How to kill audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought my first single at seven, my first vinyl album at 13, and I saved up money from my paper route to buy my first CD player at 14. In 2014 dollars, that CD player would cost close to $1000.

So this isn't chump change; my CD player in 1985 cost the equivalent of what a beat up used car cost.

My wife's kids are 13 and 11. Here's something very important that I've noticed:

They have virtually no interest in music, and little interest in movies.

I think the reason for this is simple; it's free and it's ubiquitous.

IMHO, the future of music and movies belongs to whoever can turn the ACT of experiencing music into something novel. For instance, I've been going to raves since the early 90s, and year after year they just get bigger, and more elaborate, and crazier.

Basically music used to be an intimate experience, it was something that you did in your car or your living room. In the post-internet era, music and movies is about the experience, music and movies are something that you do with other people. Nobody under the age of 30 is terribly interested in buying music, or even HAVING music.

On a side note, this is also why music and movies are so homegenized. They have to be big loud and interchangeable, because nobody listens to a song or watches a movie enough to watch the subtlety unfold. In 1985 it wasn't unheard of for me to listen to an album a hundred times; in 2014 I basically buy tickets to concerts, and then I download the music *after* the fact. The concert is the goal, not the music.

Art is dead.
I cant even listen to my favorite band's new release.
It's so compressed, it just sounds like noise.

I think we are just in a bad time in the technical evolution.
It's all loud junk right now, with not much thought for the art of content.
This is just natural evolution....
Just like with industry.
But like industry, people will ignore the crap and look for quality after some time.

Look at the Japanese, they are starting to make a turn.
That is one noisy gadget ridden island but, they are leading the charge in the interest
For audio quality with vinyl and big horn speakers..... (not that these are the best in my opinion) but it's still a rebellion against the noise over there.

So, don't worry.....
Things have to get really bad before they get better.
I just hope I'm around long enough to see the change.

"The core" is a loudspeaker only as a secondary concern. Primarily it is an illusion of sophistication, made to excite this feeling in the customer, while being easy to use and unobtrusive. People dont know better and if they knew, they would not care. They just want to feel like they are someone with good taste and buying this will give them the feeling.

I am not worried about that, I just get insulted by the unsupported and clearly false claims being made and how people literally "buy into" it. Perhaps, and this would be sad, the outrageous sound quality claims don't matter because nobody pays any attention to them anyways. They simply don't care. Only the rare few of us who do care worry about this kind of thing. But then it basically says to us that "you are irrelevant".

Yes.
I can't even explain how furious I get when I talk to younger folks about music.
I have this young bartender at my restaurant that just loves nicki manaj.
I argue with her constantly about how her music is complete nonsense.
She is just so uninterested in the message or art of music composition.
She just calls me (old) and (out of touch) with the music of today.

Now, as a music lover.... This infuriates me.
If this is the type of music people listen to, why would they care about audio quality?
Do you think they would have a sit down listen on audiophile speakers of nicki talking about her fat booty? Lol!
They just want to sing along with these (artists) very loudly.... That type of music makes people feel powerful (better than others)
Now this is not their fault, this is a necessary relief that people must feel in this chaotic world. People just want to feel important or better than, and i get it.
The point is, the MUSIC has to change before people care about the quality of it.

It will happen. Every so often a shift in music happens. Remember the grunge movement? The music was not about anything important just before that, then the 90's was pretty darn good musically.

I find this insulting. I don't sell smoke and mirrors. I offer more supporting data for my products than anyone else that I know.
I am curious what you think the sentence you have quoted means? Like you I looked at the web page and saw claims that were grossly misleading if not false. This puts me off the product (pushes the wrong buttons) whereas those in the target audience see the claims and it makes the product more attractive (pushes the right buttons).

I have just looked at your site describing your new NS15 speaker and I found only a modest amount of data. If you want to make improvements I would suggest something like this for the new Neumann KH 420 speaker which allows prospective customers to make a fairly complete objective assessment. Looks a good speaker and better than a Wilson but would a lawyer or banker buy it?

Every so often a shift in music happens.
Think back to the days when the whole family sat around the High Fidelity unit and listened to the radio programs. Be it orchestral, swing or maybe the original soap operas and radio adventures. Back then you were lucky if your Father could afford a unit, and you certainly weren't able to touch it without him around. That was a special event.

Change? You bet.

The average person, when exposed to something like a Wilson speaker system, just rolls their eyes and laughs. The average person, when exposed to another luxury item (like maybe a Ferrari) probably does not have that reaction. There's a difference there and I think that sort of audio industry sillyness has contaminated a potential market.
I agree that many look at a big garish Wilson speaker and roll their eyes and laugh but I think you will find a fair number look at a Ferrari and do the same thing. Admittedly the Ferrari is a better executed luxury product because it has a high technical performance in the way a Wilson does not but this is possibly lost on the rolling eyes brigade.

You're correct, the very rich sector has existed for a long time, but it's the relative price differentials from then until now that has become part of the problem for the "high-end" audio industry. This should not be niche' market.
I cannot see why a very high price is a problem. If a manufacturer can successfully charge a very high price for a luxury product then that would seem to be ideal to me.

The very expensive end of the audio industry is healthy at the moment which is why there are so many products in it. It is when you step down to the enthusiasts price level that things are unhealthy with relatively few people buying. There are a number of reasons for this but I cannot see how the existence of very expensive products like Wilson speakers is going to be a significant factor.

Think back to the days when the whole family sat around the High Fidelity unit and listened to the radio programs. Be it orchestral, swing or maybe the original soap operas and radio adventures. Back then you were lucky if your Father could afford a unit, and you certainly weren't able to touch it without him around. That was a special event.

Change? You bet.

I'm still glad mom let me play with her old Toshiba SA 20Y when I was a toddler, I'm pretty sure that's what kicked off my interest in audio equipment.

The only thing I got chastised for was using her LPs as hardwood floor toboggans when I was 2.:whacko:

I am curious what you think the sentence you have quoted means? Like you I looked at the web page and saw claims that were grossly misleading if not false. This puts me off the product (pushes the wrong buttons) whereas those in the target audience see the claims and it makes the product more attractive (pushes the right buttons).

I have just looked at your site describing your new NS15 speaker and I found only a modest amount of data. If you want to make improvements I would suggest something like this for the new Neumann KH 420 speaker which allows prospective customers to make a fairly complete objective assessment. Looks a good speaker and better than a Wilson but would a lawyer or banker buy it?

I read your comment to me that I push your buttons the wrong way. If I misinterpreted your intent then I apologize.

I am a one man shop, I cannot compete with a large loudspeaker company for marketing literature. The Neumann data was refreshingly complete and impressive, although I would still think that my products are competitive. Ten years ago when I first did this design they were unique. It goes without saying that people would catch up.

gedlee

I sympathize strongly with you here.

A lot of the responders seem happy to make excuses for what is happening in the marketplace, but 'not illegal' does not mean that an act of bad faith has not taken place. How happy would you be if these guys were roofing contractors? It's cowboy business, but it's only audio, so people have to watch their own backs, is that the attitude?

Nobody likes to put too fine a point on it, Earl, considering that you're in the business, but audio has been dead for decades.

Audio has become a very niche market of those for whom sound quality really is the priority.

My son is 16, loves music. I actually like a lot of what he listens to and he likes a lot of mine. But when it comes to sound quality we are not on the same page. He listens to IPhone and car audio 90% of the time. When I sit down with him in my pristine sound room, he can hear the difference, but it just doesn't matter to him. He will tell me flat out that what I do is irrelevant (some of that is just spite of course).

There are people who care, but not a lot. I have come to conclude that we all acclimate to what we listen to and it becomes the standard by which all else is judged. The idea that one will instantly recognize great sound quality simply isn't true. It takes a great deal of time to re-acclimate to higher quality if your standard has been low quality. Few will bother. They are content and acclimated to what they have so that's where they will stay. The quest for truth in audio is all but gone.

The masses of money spent on electronics when this has been shown to be a non-issue is clearly a matter of not really caring about true sound quality, which we all know lies in the speakers and room, not in the electronics.

The masses of money spent on electronics when this has been shown to be a non-issue is clearly a matter of not really caring about true sound quality, which we all know lies in the speakers and room, not in the electronics.

Oh, if only we could get that point to finally hit home. People are too emotionally invested in it I think...mentioning a receiver in the same breath as a pre/pro is often met with the same reaction you'd expect from questioning a deity or calling someone's mommy a nasty name.

Most audiophiles are just smart enough to be the dumbest people you'll meet, and I mean that with all the kindness and compassion that I can muster.

A lot of the responders seem happy to make excuses for what is happening in the marketplace, but 'not illegal' does not mean that an act of bad faith has not taken place. How happy would you be if these guys were roofing contractors? It's cowboy business, but it's only audio, so people have to watch their own backs, is that the attitude?
Perceived high performance is a significant part of the package that is purchased with the device. It doesn't matter if the actual technical performance is modest so long as this is not the perception by the user and their peers. Bose is an excellent example of how this works. So long as the customer is happy and remains happy with their purchase then comparisons with cowboys does not really hold up. People who employ cowboys do not usually remain happy with their purchase.

Earl's mention of his son struck a chord with me.

Last weekend I sat at a table playing poker with my son and two of his friends (all age twenty). They were listening to really good, quality music, and enjoying it, discussing it. Unfortunately it was through a smart phone set on the table. It was striking to me. I commented that when I was in a similar position we would at least muster a modest system through which to listen.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Sure agree with that. I see a lot of college age kids listening to music on the speaker of a smart phone. It sounds worse than the little transistor radios that the baby boomers carried around in their teens.

Mostly, people don't really care, as long as it's music they like.

But those same people will be wowed by something better. "Awesome Speakers Dude!" And then go right back to the tiny phone sound. :xeye:

Perceived high performance is a significant part of the package that is purchased with the device.

Quite correct. To me, it is when a company seeks to deceive the purchaser with claims and slogans that mislead that I loose respect, i.e. "Better sound through research". Of course, having my respect does not affect their sales, of that I am sure. But you can be sure that when I am asked "Is Bose really the best loudspeaker?" that I do tell them the truth - high sales does not mean high performance; saying you are great does not make you great; and in audio price is not well correlated with performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.