How to improve bass response?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

The situation is very new and I must confirm but I think that I should share this with you.

I can't believe my ears but the sound of the amp has improved significantly :).

I have replaced C1(470pF styroflex) by a 560pF. I have also ordered some additionnal values 580pF, 600pF, 620pF. I will make some tries and will be back to give details (if you wish). At the moment I do not want to scrap this amp anymore!

many might be wondering why this worked, like i did at first. The answer is when you increased the value of C1, it basically grounded the high frequencies, thus making a very very simple tone control circuit. Increase the cap size more and you can reach a point where only bass can be heard.

I also faced such problem with pre-built kit (a transistor cheap kit)

1000,000,000,000 ohms

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 129
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm sure AndrewT refers to the schematic for the ancient and best forgotten ETI 480.

I don't know that it's always going to be a problem but sure, the OP's design TL071 input is floating and unless direct coupled to a grounded resistive source, needs to be ground referenced somewhere. Assuming a preamp. or source is <10k, that might be ok but most have capacitor outputs with various or no shunt resistance, even feedback loops. I think its unwise to have such a floating input for a universal device like an amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.