how to get Pass amp kits...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kristijan-k has apparently been in contact you and your colleagues but somewhere you haven't understood each other to 100%.

kristijan-k has given us a rather good explanation but in the end you, Nelson desides. Right now it seems that Desmond has approved and you has disapproved. Can't you set things straight? It must be rather easy I should think.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Mr. Harrington is away on holiday (so am I, for that matter)
but he is aware of and conforms to company policy. We have
given blanket permission for people to make Aleph boards
on a not-for-profit basis for the benefit of the DIY community.
We have not given permission for the use of our IP for
commercial (for profit) use.

You can decide for yourself whether Kristijan's statement
indicates a commercial effort or not. Frankly, I can't tell
by reading it, but that might be a language difficulty.

Perhaps Kristijan would simply like to state that his efforts
are not-for-profit. That would certainly simplify the discussion,
and of course he would then be granted a blessing for this
activity.

Keep in mind that the way U.S. law reads is that in order to
retain intellectual property rights, such as patents and
trademarks, it is essential to defend them. If a party can point
to a prior example where infringement was allowed or ignored,
then he wields a powerful argument

In a few years the Aleph patent will have expired and become
public domain, although the Aleph trademark will not, at which
time people can sell all the pcb's and amplifiers for profit they
like, calling them something else.

:cool:

Pass Lab circuitry and amps

Tks for Nelson's participation and advises here. I do admire his contribution to the hobbyist, educating our fellow experimentist with such simple circuitries! this is in the spirit of the electronics hobbyist himself while he has already established a world wide brand!
When I have problem with adj Threshold bias and email to him, he did answer my email and pointed me to the circuitry.
I will build The Pass Lab amp to have teh fun and satisfaction, and at the same time will choose his Pass Lab ready made amp for my personal collection! Though for the moment my budget will probably only allow me to get from second hand market.

Tks again and best rgds

William Lee

Methinks that's a hint...

Grey

EDIT: Even if only 1 in 5 of those DIY folks bought Pass product commercially, it would make a substantial difference in Nelson's bottom line. "Only" 40-60,000 people? Gracious me, if I were to go into business, I'd love to have a customer base like that.

Me too

GRollins said:
Speaking only for myself...
--I am more interested in ideas and concepts than I am in boards and such.
--Yes, I am in what appears to be the minority position in that I am willing to make my own layouts and use them to etch my own boards. (It's not particularly expensive or hard, but it can be tedious.)
--If even the possibility exists that people who are willing to offer ideas (e.g. Pass, Curl, Martin, Hansen, et. al.) might be offended by financial activity using their ideas, then my vote is to avoid even the appearance of impropriety and stick to the concepts. They're more important in the long run.
--Without their sharing of ideas, everyone would be stuck building the same old boring three stage amps until the end of time. Maybe that suits some of the members of this site, but I'm not one of them. Gimme something that stimulates my interest and curiosity and I'm a happy fella.
Just one guy's point of view.

Grey

I totally agree with Grey!

btw. situation in central Europe (Austria, Slovenia et al) is not
that bad. The European Union is a free market and there are
many companies here who do pcbs for reasonable prices!
You friends from overseas please do not get a wrong point of
view how we are living here!
The living standard for example in Slovenia is higher than in
Arkansas or similar states of the US. Nobody needs to suffer
from anything!

Uli

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Re: Me too

uli said:

I totally agree with Grey!

btw. situation in central Europe (Austria, Slovenia et al) is not
that bad. The European Union is a free market and there are
many companies here who do pcbs for reasonable prices!
You friends from overseas please do not get a wrong point of
view how we are living here!
The living standard for example in Slovenia is higher than in
Arkansas or similar states of the US. Nobody needs to suffer
from anything!

Uli

Btw - dont equalize Austria and Slovenia ... We're in EU since 1.5.2004 - and now we will be able to buy things from abroad a little bit easier ...
E.g: if I wanted to buy something via e-bay- Slovenia was not listed - the only way was to have a friend in Italy or Austria and make a business through him ...
Black Gate, Cerafine, Solen, Mills, Riken, ... etc are brandnames I can only dream off ... To buy them directly here - just in my imagination ...
Ok, so there is still a possibility of internet shop - BUT as a student I don't have the rigjt to own a credit card; paypall is something that is a no no here :( OK, now I know the Western Union money transfer is the way :D
BUT - it again comlicates a lot on the custom if you order somethign form States ... The taxes are huge :( Etc etc ...

Btw - yes there is a lot of companies that produces PCBs and so - BUT - for few examples they are expencive; if I would order 100, 200, 500 of them - it would became "cheap" - but what to do with the rest? Here in SLO is an interesting point of view about DiYers - it goes something like:"If it's made by a Slovenian it surely can not be a good stuff - so avoid it ... :("

Oh BTW - but I agree with Uli about general standard of living here- it's not bad at all ... Altough - it's getting worse from year to year - capitalism made 2 big classes - stinkin rich class and "I can live through the month but I can't save money/goods/... for my future"
I myself am for now a remain of middle class that still lives quite descent - but my future ain't very perspective - so at the age of 25 I'm still living with my parents, ...
Fortunately my education (I hope I will finish my diploma during this year) in electrical engineering opens me a little wider possibilities to get a descent job than if I would study for economist, ...

not quite correct

I am awfully sorry, but this is not quite correct!

Everytime I vitit my relatives in southern Styria, I see lots of
Slovenian and Croatian cars with people buying everything
which is not fixed with superglue, carrying this stuff across the
border not paying duties!
You have (and had) equal chance to buy from a Bulgarian source
which is mentioned before in this thread for bargain prices.
When I was a student I did not own a creditcard either!
This is not a problem of living in the wrong country but as a matter
of fact most students cannot afford some special items.
I used to make my own pcbs with Fe2Cl3 and hot water.

Uli

Re: not quite correct

uli said:
I am awfully sorry, but this is not quite correct!

Everytime I vitit my relatives in southern Styria, I see lots of
Slovenian and Croatian cars with people buying everything
which is not fixed with superglue, carrying this stuff across the
border not paying duties!
You have (and had) equal chance to buy from a Bulgarian source
which is mentioned before in this thread for bargain prices.
When I was a student I did not own a creditcard either!
This is not a problem of living in the wrong country but as a matter
of fact most students cannot afford some special items.
I used to make my own pcbs with Fe2Cl3 and hot water.

Uli

Well Uli I am awfully sorry - but it's not so bad here, that we would hardly wait to "rob" Austrian shops ... Actually - a lot of quality stuff is cheaper in SLO than outside ...
BUT when it comes to technical stuff - then our shops don't sell a lot of "better" components and so ...

I don't know details about the Bulgarian source ... Cause I'm not in this forum every day - actually I'm on/off periodically ... So a lot of posts goes to the history without beeing checked from my syde ...

Emm - aboutnot living in wrong country ... OK, students can't afford a lot anywhere - BUT then again - it's still easier if you can buy the stuff in local shops - so when you have the money- you do it ... But in our case - you depend from outside sources ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.